My Wife Claims Cracker Barrel Coleslaw Is Terrible

Florida Cracker

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Florida Cracker
Went for a 'quick' lunch at a local Cracker Barrel. The restaurant wasn't busy, there was plenty of waitstaff visible, and every single thing about our meal was terrible, but my wife hated the coleslaw. If it were any drier, we could have sewed it into a nice gay pride flag and hung it up somewhere.

Is it true that henning invented coleslaw... and cabbage, and carrots, and hydrogen, airplanes, South America, and farming....???

If so, then I want to take up the matter of bad recipes used to recreate his invention....:goofy::confused::idea:

Wait. You went for lunch at a Cracker Barrel, and you were disappointed at something?

Shock!

(I avoid them like cancer).

Wait. You went for lunch at a Cracker Barrel, and you were disappointed at something?

Shock!

(I avoid them like cancer).

:rofl:
Their breakfast isn't too awful but not really a place I ever really plan on going unless there are few other choices.

Why should the coleslaw at Cracker Barrel be any better than anything else at Cracker Barrel?

There was a time when CB served food which bore a striking resemblance to something which may have been touched by human hands at some point in its preparation. Those days are long gone, it seems. The last time I ate at a CB, several years ago, I decided that the free breakfast at the EconoLodge wasn't so bad, after all. :rolleyes:

Mark

The decor isn't bad. It's like there was an American Pickers van explosion in every restaurant.

Mark

The decor isn't bad. It's like there was an American Pickers van explosion in every restaurant.

Mark

I always enjoyed the décor....until I realized some of the old tools I not only knew what they were but I also knew how to operate them....:(

:rofl:
Their breakfast isn't too awful but not really a place I ever really plan on going unless there are few other choices.

...my other choices were Krystals and McDonalds. Went to CB. Good strawberry shortcake.

Why should the coleslaw at Cracker Barrel be any better than anything else at Cracker Barrel?

There was a time when CB served food which bore a striking resemblance to something which may have been touched by human hands at some point in its preparation. Those days are long gone, it seems. The last time I ate at a CB, several years ago, I decided that the free breakfast at the EconoLodge wasn't so bad, after all. :rolleyes:

Mark
yup....it's not all what it's cracked up to be. :no::goofy:

CB is uniformly mediocre. It's a good place to stop on the highway because you know what you are getting. Our biggest surprise is we stopped in one the other day that's the mirror image of most out there (the gift shop was on the left side rather than the right). The coleslaw is standard food service grade stuff.

Every so often we go to one for brunch. We've yet to be disappointed. I doubt I'd go for any other meal, I suspect they'd have nothing for me to eat.

People seem to love them, just as they love Huddle House and Waffle House. I ate at a Waffle House *once*. OMG, the grease nearly killed me. I'd rather have a big breakfast from the golden arches to be honest.

People seem to love them, just as they love Huddle House and Waffle House. I ate at a Waffle House *once*. OMG, the grease nearly killed me. I'd rather have a big breakfast from the golden arches to be honest.

I had a memorably bad meal at a Waffle House once. Haven't been back.

I have only eaten at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, which seems fine to me, but you can't really screw up eggs, and bacon. Haven't been there in a long time though.

Yeah, they know that so they put them on interstates so you don't have to.:D

And I know each and everyone along I-95 from MD to Fayetteville NC. :mad2:

A former BDK coworker would only eat at CB....breakfast, lunch, or dinner....we traveled way to much up and down that route.:yikes:

Last edited:
My wife adores CB, she used to work there in high school and college. We have to go there at least once a month, and each time I struggle to find something on their menu that won't make me gag or wish they understood how to use salt during food preparation.

Most bland food I've ever tasted.

Huh. I think it's pretty good. Had breakfast there just a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious. I'm not sure how they cook their pancakes, but there's a texture that I love, that I don't find anywhere else and I can't seem to duplicate at home.

Kinda pricey, but very good food. And the service has always been 5-star in my experiences.

I only eat breakfast there, and stick with the stuff on the first page. The eggs/bacon/sausage type stuff. I have literally never eaten anything else there.

I enjoy it, especially the hashbrown casserole, which I've tried to emulate a time or two.

There is a small regional restaurant chain (I think they have three locations) in and around Lexington, KY called Ramseys that serves country cooking, and it is much better than CB.

We've places here as well. And the Amish restaurants will put any of that to shame several times over.

They are on my lifetime boycott list so no problem here.... why do you folks do so much driving?

I like their chicken BLT, and my wife generally likes the vegetable dishes, but HATED the cole slaw. Breakfast is my favorite, though.

Last edited:
We hit a lot of cracker barrels the couple of years the plane was undergoing restoration. Even with the crew car at the local airport, the cracker barrel is a known quantity. My wife generally prefers some vegetable other than french fries with her meal.

Good breakfast, Pecan pancakes, bacon crispy with scrambled eggs and of course a Diet Coke! :D I prefer their breakfast items to their lunch/dinner menu, but even the lunch/dinner is OK, not gourmet by any stretch, but decent and as some have mentioned it's a known quantity.

Haven't been to Cracker Barrel in a few years, but I always enjoyed their meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas. Yum. Not healthy, but yum!!

And coleslaw, of course!! :D

My wife insists on stopping at CB EVERY road trip. That's the main reason I took up flying in the first place. No CB a mile up!

Back