My kitty cat is in chronic renal failure

Beth we've started syringe feeding and the vet is coming over Monday to show us how to do subcutaneous injections.Leslie stayed home with him today because be was unsteady on his feet.

Grant, I would consider doing an echocardiogram before you start SubQs. He has a heart murmur which means he could have serious heart issues and SubQs will throw him into heart failure if that is the case. I went through this with Ophelia. We ID'd heart issues almost simultaneously with the kidney issues due to her heart murmur (echocardiogram every 6 months...). I could not do IVs or SubQs.

You can also syringe water into him, too - and that will not hurt his heart. For instance, 15ml of water equals one tablespoon. If you syringe 15 ml per hour (which would equal 15 tiny squirts of 1 ml each - maybe two minutes to accomplish, tops) you can do that 6 times per day and it will equal 90ml of water which is pretty good. It will mean setting the timer each AM and PM to do it once an hour, three times AM and 3 times PM. IE 630 AM, 730 AM, 830 AM - and again at night. Safer than the SubQs.

Ps. unsteadiness could be dehydration, or it could be potassium. Have they mentioned TumilK? I would ask for another blood check to see where his potassium is.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Poor kitty.

Last edited:
We said goodbye to Einstein this morning while listening to Beyonce sing the National Anthem. I don't know if there's some sign in that or not. Our vet was wonderful, and stayed with us for a while afterwards. Right now he's at the crematorium, and we'll pick up his urn shortly.

We said goodbye to Einstein this morning while listening to Beyonce sing the National Anthem. I don't know if there's some sign in that or not. Our vet was wonderful, and stayed with us for a while afterwards. Right now he's at the crematorium, and we'll pick up his urn shortly.
:( :( :(

Oh, Grant & Leslie ... I'm so sorry. Sweet Einstein was a very lucky kitty to have had the two of you.

Very sorry for your loss. Two of the hardest things I have ever had to do was to take my cat to the vet to have her put to sleep, and not being able to go to vet when they had to put my dog to sleep.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Sorry to hear that you lost a family member today, Grant & Leslie... :(

Thank you everyone for your condolences. It does help knowing that there are others out there who understand that these are members of our family, especially after 15 years of being responsible for all their needs.

Saw your FB post and responded there but also wanted to offer condolences here. So sorry for your loss, Grant and Leslie.

Back