My kitty cat is in chronic renal failure

We too have two cats. One is 8 and the other is 5. The 5 year old we rescued from some kids that where getting ready to kill him. He was so little and so scared.
Anyway he is a sick little guy. We too took him to the vet and had every test done on him. they found nothing.
He has a hard time keeping anything down and when we go for a walk he stops all the time and tries to poop. Its real runny. I feel so bad for this little guy he is so so sweet.
He plays and seems happy, weighs around 12 pounds. His name is Patches.

H.A.S.

Attachments

• Patches 003.JPG
    Patches 003.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 13
Grant, damn, that is such a big weight loss. I'm so sorry. What else do the blood tests say? Are you mostly just giving him any kind of food he wants?

Nate, that sounds like the best decision for now, I guess. We forget how much energy younguns have. Hope the pain has lessened for you both. I am mostly doing OK because after the initial scare, she's still hanging in there very well, but I do get melancholy knowing that our horizon is coming into view and is in focus instead of being way off in the distance.

Troy, couple of cuties! I saw your vet photos on Facebook.

Harley, good thing those lobsters have bands on their claws.

George, I would ask for a full panel on your kitty before doing anything else. Also a full urinalysis including culture. Weakness in hind legs - wonder if that could be a potassium or anemia? Does she have kidney issues? The pepcid makes me think so... she could very well have a UTI or even a kidney infection, both of which can make cats pee outside the litterbox.

David, sorry about your buddy. :(

HAS, I'm not sure what to say other than consider another vet for a second opinion. Another thing to try which might help the diarrhea but not any underlying conditions causing it, is Fortiflora. It is a probiotic for pets and any time I have used it, diarrhea clears up in 2-3 days. Diarrhea is dangerous as you know, because they can get dehydrated. Talk to a vet before you start anything new, though.
Shame on those kids who were trying to kill him.

Last edited:
itravel: thanks for the comments. He also a few times a week can not hold his food and throws it up. This has been going on since day one we found him.

The day we found him he was so scared he had pooped all over himself, he was covered from head to toe in it.

I felt so bad for him, as most whom posted here I am a BIG animal lover and hate to see any animal mistreated.

Excess stomach acid can be a big cause of vomiting, try slippery elm bark, it calms the acid. Is he/she occasionally licking its lips as well, perhaps a few hours before vomittimg ?

If we give him nothing but dry food he throws that up, its like he can not digest the dry food. So we give him patte food in a can, he holds this down better and only will throw this up a couple times a week.

I do not see it getting worse but its also not getting better. I just last evening told the wife I believe he needs to go back to a vet and maybe stay a few days.

Harold

Grant, damn, that is such a big weight loss. I'm so sorry. What else do the blood tests say? Are you mostly just giving him any kind of food he wants?

BUN and Creatinine are elevated, but actually down a little from the last He's on atenolol for hypertension and EPakitin to help kidney function. We're giving him whatever he wants to eat. Right now, he seems to like Solid Gold blended tuna. There's another number that high and can be indicative of lymphoma, but we're not pursuing that at this time.

No kidney issues that I know of; the pepcid is for vomiting. Alas, she's doing more than just peeing outside the box, although at least in a predictable location.

George, I would ask for a full panel on your kitty before doing anything else. Also a full urinalysis including culture. Weakness in hind legs - wonder if that could be a potassium or anemia? Does she have kidney issues? The pepcid makes me think so... she could very well have a UTI or even a kidney infection, both of which can make cats pee outside the litterbox.

HAS, I hope you've taken him to the vet by now. This does not sound good at all.

Grant, how high are the BUN and creat? How do his phosphorus and potassium numbers look?

Some news: I'm hoping this is not the case, but it's possible we're nearing the end. I will know by the weekend. She's not in pain (when she rests, she rests comfortably with her legs curled to the side, and isn't restless, etc), and she's still eating and drinking and last night pitter pattered over to my bed and jumped up and hung out for a little bit before going back to her favorite spot (a box). However, for lack of a better explanation she has gotten extremely quiet, even compared to these last several months. I hesitate to say lethargic but that probably is pretty close.

The reason I don't think this is quite "it" yet is because we've introduced a few new things in the past few weeks, any one of which could be making her feel bad. The vet wanted me to put her on a new high-fat and high calorie food to get her weight up. Coincidental with starting that (morning and night) she has started barfing, at first just every 3-4 days but then daily Thursday - Saturday. After Saturday that was it - I stopped giving the new food and no barf since Saturday night. It may have simply been too rich for her. Being dehydrated from all that would make you feel bad so I'm working on keeping her hydrated.

Plus we just started treating her for anemia, which the issue itself would make her lose a lot of energy and just feel bad - and the new drug takes two weeks to kick in. It's possible that new drug is making her feel somewhat icky.

So now I'm on watch with her - hoping this new med will bring her around. This is so sad, and so sad that it snowballed so fast. Before July 1, she was perking along like there was nothing wrong at all.

Update: we had a fantastic day yesterday. Glimmers of my old Ophelia back again including eating like a horse several times over the day. Hoping it continues. I think the anemia treatments are finally grabbing hold. I was told there was a two week delayed reaction before I'd see anything at all, and we are midway between weeks 1 and 2.

Update: we had a fantastic day yesterday. Glimmers of my old Ophelia back again including eating like a horse several times over the day. Hoping it continues. I think the anemia treatments are finally grabbing hold. I was told there was a two week delayed reaction before I'd see anything at all, and we are midway between weeks 1 and 2.

Great news! Keep us updated!

Kitty friends: it's been a roller coaster for the past two weeks, and the hills have gotten closer and closer together. Things accelerated after we started the new treatment - a brief upswing that took us back two months, but then started declining again. It's time. I made the appointment. Very sad day.

I brought them (two kitties - sisters) home 9 years ago, just after I closed on this house. Rescue kittens left outside a vet's office in a box, and they hit the cat lottery.

Kitty friends: it's been a roller coaster for the past two weeks, and the hills have gotten closer and closer together. Things accelerated after we started the new treatment - a brief upswing that took us back two months, but then started declining again. It's time. I made the appointment. Very sad day.

I brought them (two kitties - sisters) home 9 years ago, just after I closed on this house. Rescue kittens left outside a vet's office in a box, and they hit the cat lottery.

Sorry to hear this. I went through the same thing about 2 months ago. It still hurts but I'm at peace with it now. She's going to a better place.

Sorry to hear that, it's never easy.

Lost one of my cats last night. Pliskin, she died in my lap. She was 18. Just like her mom Hester, a year ago, everything is going OK considering their age and then a sudden decline and gone in just about a day and half. They reach a point where it's beyond vets and meds and it's just time. In both cases, no real apparent pain or discomfort, just a shutting down of systems, like switches on the panel with the master being last.:(

We're down to just Bodie now, our orange tabby alpha male. He's got lots of years left in him, but it's just quieter around here now. Soon I suspect it will be time to go kitten shopping, as I doubt we can hold out too long. Poor Bodie, he will lots to think about and keep him busy soon.:eek:

So sorry to hear of your loss. They become like children to us.

When I first moved away from home I got me a puppy. She was with me for 16 years, we traveled this country together. When I had to put her down I morned for over a month. Everyone around me said I was a fool. I do not care what anyone said, I was really sad. After 30 years I still miss her.

I burried her in my yard. Then I went through a divorce about one year later " she hated this dog"

I went out where I burried her and dug her up. I then drove to chicago with her and had her creamated. Where I took her to have this done, these people were amazed that I would do this for my pet. They let me do the creamation myself.

I have her today on my mattle and she will be put in my casket when I die.

David, Liz, sorry to hear about this for both of you.

Liz, when is your appointment? Today? ((hugs))

Damn Liz. I'm so sorry. We all knew this day would come. We all know you did everything possible for Kitty. But none of that is going to make you feel any better. I see this every day in my work but it never fails to bring the tears. Just remember that time really does help the wounds heal. You will never forget, but you will come to accept it one day at a time. My advice is to take some time for yourself. But the healing will really start when another kitten in need finds you and unlocks the love in your heart. In the meantime, remember the good times you had with that handsome cat. You know that is they way Kitty will forever remember you,.

I'm sorry. I don't know what to say. It's so hard to lose a pet.

Hi everyone

I am home. She's gone. There really was no other choice, for her, at this point going on was for me and not her and I can't do that. It was over so fast. Hard to believe she's gone. She rallied so many times this fall, I thought we had another rally in us and we didn't. It's me and her sister now.

Thank you so much for the kind words, they really mean a lot to me.

David, I'm so sorry. :(

Liz:

I am so sorry for the loss. Me and Haley <<<<<<<< are so tight...I can't imagine losing her.

Last edited:
I am so so sorry for your loss. Words mean nothing right now.

R.I.P. Little one.........

With all true and sincere respect coming from another dog owner......

DAY-UM!!! That's some awesome crazy love and loyalty right there......

So sorry to hear of your loss. They become like children to us.

When I first moved away from home I got me a puppy. She was with me for 16 years, we traveled this country together. When I had to put her down I morned for over a month. Everyone around me said I was a fool. I do not care what anyone said, I was really sad. After 30 years I still miss her.

I burried her in my yard. Then I went through a divorce about one year later " she hated this dog"

I went out where I burried her and dug her up. I then drove to chicago with her and had her creamated. Where I took her to have this done, these people were amazed that I would do this for my pet. They let me do the creamation myself.

I have her today on my mattle and she will be put in my casket when I die.

So sorry for your loss. You're right, those kitties hit the lottery.

Hi everyone

I am home. She's gone. There really was no other choice, for her, at this point going on was for me and not her and I can't do that. It was over so fast. Hard to believe she's gone. She rallied so many times this fall, I thought we had another rally in us and we didn't. It's me and her sister now.

Hi everyone

I wish your kitty cat was back here with you.

With no corruption.

Beth, I'm so sorry! But we both know that it was the right thing to do. Stay strong.

He used to be 12 pounds, but is now about 4.5. We're counting the weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
My deepest sympathy all pet lovers... I also lost my 12 year old cat due to chronic renal failure and my cat Lucky, gone west on 14 Dec 2012. This video was made back in Feb 2006.

Hi everyone

Thank you again for thinking of us. Darren, I'm so sorry.

Sac, you know, my biggest wish during all of this was that she get better and not be going through this. Didn't want to corrupt that wish.

Grant, that is so heartbreaking. What a huge weight loss. How much is he eating? Are you syringe feeding him at all? Are you able to do SubQs? Give him whatever he will eat even if it's fancy feast. Ophelia would only eat fancy feast wet food (junk food) but she would eat prescription senior diet dry food, which is gentler on kidneys. So kind of half and half.

Ophelia was 4.25 pounds at the end, but here is a photo of her in late June, a week before the "crash" which started the decline. She really did very well over the fall (and looking back, even though I was worried constantly and really ramped up the intensive care, was doing much better than my worries allowed me to believe) and only started the actual decline a few weeks ago. In fact, New Year's Day was such a rally, like we had stepped back in time two months at least... and then the downhill started again and we couldn't pull up in time.

Here she is, in June - almost 9 pounds. Sadly she did not look that good, now.

8322529617_1b253076d3_z.jpg

Thank you again everyone for the kind thoughts and words. I know many of us (if not most) are pet owners, and we've been down this road before - or will, someday. So sad.

Not all Fancy Feast is junk, there are some for CKF cats that are close to, if not better than some of the prescription stuff that our cats refuse to eat.

You do have to study the attachment for ones with lower Phosphous but they are in there.

Attachments

• Fancy Feast Nutritional Values.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
It is good to search for the low phosphorous foods if you can find them.

Given where Einstein is now, the right food is 'whatever he will eat'. Which isn't much at the moment, except for the gravy on any food he's presented with.

We said goodbye to our first kitty, Pleighdaux, 8 years ago this month. Knew we'd have to travel this road again at some point...... sigh.

Liz: my deepest sympathies on your loss. Not easy for those of us left behind, but I like to think that Pleighdaux and Ophelia are keeping each other company :)

Beth, I'm so sorry! But we both know that it was the right thing to do. Stay strong.

He used to be 12 pounds, but is now about 4.5. We're counting the weeks.

So sorry to see the decline. All you can do is make them as comfortable as you can and be there. Hopefully, when the real decline comes and their mobility goes, the decline goes fast. It's best for all. My sympathies. I just went through it and I went through it just a year ago too.

Time to start a new kitten thread around here!!

Thank you Nate and Leslie

Keep us posted on Einstein. Have you tried assist feeding - syringing a water/Hill's KD mix? Does he get SubQs - although if he has heart issues, SubQs could throw him into heart failure.

Back