My jugs...

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
now that i have your attention :p

got these pics from my new-to-me AP/IA. something weird going on with the intake valves. nothing that needs attention right away, the compressions are all in high 70s, JPI doesnt show anything majorly out or ordinary, i did notice lower EGT that the rest on #2 most of the times. He says eventually new jugs might be in order. I think the pics are from Cyl 2 and 4. surprisingly the exhaust ones are in better shape than intake.

O-360-A4M, about 1400 hours

8121k-borescope-pics-1_51550306073_o.jpg 8121k-borescope-pics-2_51550071801_o.jpg 8121k-borescope-pics-3_51550786359_o.jpg 8121k-borescope-pics-4_51550982495_o.jpg 8121k-borescope-pics-5_51550305983_o.jpg 8121k-borescope-pics-6_51550982475_o.jpg 8121k-borescope-pics-7_51549268057_o.jpg

I'm filing a complaint for a click bait title.

I agree they don't look uniform. Is the yellow deposit lead?

Meh...your intake guides are wearing as evidence by the wet/oil. No biggie. Keep an eye on oil consumption.

Meh...your intake guides are wearing as evidence by the wet/oil. No biggie. Keep an eye on oil consumption.

yes, oil consumption has been higher, relatively speaking. usually she drinks 1 qt every 10.5 hours (about the same time when i need a new set of battery for the ANR headset). This year she is drinking some more, like 1 qt every 8-9 hours. think she has a drinking problem. havent flown very much this year... think she aint happy .

Totally normal….
yes, oil consumption has been higher, relatively speaking. usually she drinks 1 qt every 10.5 hours (about the same time when i need a new set of battery for the ANR headset). This year she is drinking some more, like 1 qt every 8-9 hours. think she has a drinking problem. havent flown very much this year... think she aint happy .

Meh...your intake guides are wearing as evidence by the wet/oil.

For the record, these engines do not have any valve stem seals so it is normal even for an engine that is not worn to have some moist intakes. Especially on engines that are run with lower manifold pressure.

Even brand new engines with stem seals will pass some oil by design.

I wouldn’t get too worked up over the appearance of an intake valve. It is very rare to see a failure in that area of an engine.

I don't know of any that have seals on the intake.....

Some Continentals do, but that’s not the engine being discussed.

I’m talking about all engines, no matter the application. By design some oil is allowed down the guide for lubrication, seal or not. It will get consumed.

Some Continentals do, but that’s not the engine being discussed.

I’m talking about all engines, no matter the application. By design some oil is allowed down the guide for lubrication, seal or not. It will get consumed.
This is a Lycoming....right?

I watched the video on borescoping, and I thought it was excellent. The valve rotators intrigue me. I would like to replace ones on an O-470, but I had trouble finding where to get them. I'm wondering if a lot of Continental failures could be prevented by borescoping, precautionary guide reaming and replacement of rotators. I have been convinced by Busch that cylinder removal is major surgery and it should be avoided. As long as the pistons are okay, when you "top" an engine you're focusing on the valves anyway, the exhaust valve in particular.

Where can I get rotators?

I buy mine from here....but, your engine may not have them.
https://www.aircraftspecialties.aero/roto-coil-assy-652112/
I watched the video on borescoping, and I thought it was excellent. The valve rotators intrigue me. I would like to replace ones on an O-470, but I had trouble finding where to get them. I'm wondering if a lot of Continental failures could be prevented by borescoping, precautionary guide reaming and replacement of rotators. I have been convinced by Busch that cylinder removal is major surgery and it should be avoided. As long as the pistons are okay, when you "top" an engine you're focusing on the valves anyway, the exhaust valve in particular.

Where can I get rotators?

You know Mike Busch started this and he is a pretty sharp guy that can rightfully be credited for creating a lot of useful stuff but the whole borescope thing kind of went off the rails. Now you have every Tom, Dick and Harry with a thirty dollar Chinese dental camera making Svengali-like predictions on valve health based on some fuzzy pictures. I think Mike's intention was to say that even if your compression numbers are a bit low you can observe the valve face and not pull a cylinder based on what you see but instead we have A&P's and owners with PERFECTLY GOOD compression readings observing valves and saying OMG!! look, it's about to fail!!!!

I'll say this one more time - if you look in there with your budget "borescope" and see actual evidence of a burnt valve your compression reading for that cylinder is going to be about ZERO.

Here is a test. This cylinder had 16/80 differential compression. What is the indication something is amiss?
DSC_0933.Cylinder.Top.2048.jpg

Mike didn't start it.....lol ;)

I know it was actually Continental SB03-3 but in today's social media youtube world it was Mike who initially put the spotlight on it and things just went crazy from there.

Deaken with Pelican's Perch was probably the first to promote it....but even he didn't invent it.

Sounds like a happy engine

Some of the helicopters I fly burn more than that

usually she drinks 1 qt every 10.5 hours (about the same time when i need a new set of battery for the ANR headset).
Looks like you have enough comments about your oil consumption, but I should point out that your ANR battery consumption is excessive and concerning. :)

Looks like you have enough comments about your oil consumption, but I should point out that your ANR battery consumption is excessive and concerning. :)

Lol lol lol

Back