My iPhone died. 1 month old

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I'm not sure what is wrong with Apple. Everything they build is just getting crappier and crappier. My damn iPhone is totally hosed now and it is a month old.

I was traveling down the interstate and the phone fell out of my pocket at 70 mph. I felt something hit my shoe--and to my horror--saw the phone hit the road. The car behind me ran it over. It took me a hour to find it.

The iPhone was still on and actually had a missed called. The touch glass is busted which makes it useless--can't run it without the touch screen. I hooked it up to my laptop and it sync'd successfully.

I'm hoping I can find someone local in town tomorrow to replace the touch glass. Otherwise it means I'm buying another freaking iPhone. Which..sucks...bad.

You obviously did not purchase the right case :nono:

oakley-iphone-case-400.jpg

Sorry for your loss...

:rofl:

They must not have run it through the "highway roll over" test!! Imagine!

And your blaming Apple for your how you treat your phone?
I don't know many phones that could survive a 70mph skid down the pavement and getting run over.

Jesse, you know about Celia dropping her iPhone (more mundane, she just dropped it in the parking garage), screen glass shattered, but hers still worked.

After hemming and hawing for a couple of minutes, the "Genius" at the Genius Bar just swapped her broken one for a new one.

'Course, she's cuter than you... but maybe you find the right Genius...

I'm not sure what is wrong with Apple. Everything they build is just getting crappier and crappier. My damn iPhone is totally hosed now and it is a month old.

I was traveling down the interstate and the phone fell out of my pocket at 70 mph. I felt something hit my shoe--and to my horror--saw the phone hit the road. The car behind me ran it over. It took me a hour to find it.

The iPhone was still on and actually had a missed called. The touch glass is busted which makes it useless--can't run it without the touch screen. I hooked it up to my laptop and it sync'd successfully.

I'm hoping I can find someone local in town tomorrow to replace the touch glass. Otherwise it means I'm buying another freaking iPhone. Which..sucks...bad.

See...I told you not to get rid of that screen protector.

Maybe go back to riding in a better contained vehicle? I can picture you turning around and looking at where it dropped... at 70 miles per hour. :eek:

Heck, if you paid for it with certain credit cards, they might cover it under their extended warranty! I seem to recall that AmEx would do that, but don't hold me to it.

Heck, if you paid for it with certain credit cards, they might cover it under their extended warranty! I seem to recall that AmEx would do that, but don't hold me to it.

Paid via Wells Fargo Checkcard (visa) highly doubt they'll cover it.

I think it's time for a harshly worded letter to Steve Jobs. Demand a replacement as well as a personal assistant to act as the iPhone protector, throwing himself to the pavement to catch the falling iPhone the next time it happens.

Heck, Woz might be up for it if the price is right... :D

Only 70mph and one car, and it broke? What a piece of crap. :rofl:

I doubt my Treo could withstand a withering stare, much less a drop from any height. Don't think I'll try it.

I doubt my Treo could withstand a withering stare, much less a drop from any height. Don't think I'll try it.

I've dropped my Treo a number of times and it's still in good shape. I haven't given it the Jesse test, though, so I'm not sure it's quite up to that same level of durability.

My treo (which will rot in electronics hell) survived a standing waist high drop to asphalt, and I wish I could blame the numerous problems with it on that drop, but alas, it was doomed from the day I opened the box.

My treo (which will rot in electronics hell) survived a standing waist high drop to asphalt, and I wish I could blame the numerous problems with it on that drop, but alas, it was doomed from the day I opened the box.

Mine has the dreaded "I'm a Treo, and I can detect when a really important call comes in and I display that knowledge by rebooting right after you say 'Hello'" feature.

But there is nothing right now that will serve my needs better; would love to iPhone, but no sync with our contact/calendar manager system.

So, Treo it is.

IK have dropped my Instinct any number of times (though never off my motorcycle at 70 mph). It looks like it's been through a war, but it still works great.

I've dropped my iPhone from my super-secure case belt clip a dozen or so times, even to concrete and sidewalks. I don't think it's even scratched. (It slips out of the case while the clip keeps holding. I need to add some tape or something.)

Mine has the dreaded "I'm a Treo, and I can detect when a really important call comes in and I display that knowledge by rebooting right after you say 'Hello'" feature.

But there is nothing right now that will serve my needs better; would love to iPhone, but no sync with our contact/calendar manager system.

So, Treo it is.

The Windows Mobile UI is about the same, my favorite being, "Here's the phone icon, press that and press [Dial] get the dialpad, enter the phone number and press [Call] "Blooop! The phone is currently offline. Would you like to go online?" No. Just do a simulation or make a call to my armpit.

So, Treo it is.

Oh, mine had that too, as well as the "Surely you don't want to end this call right now even though you've pressed the end button, so I'll just ignore your inputs for the next 30 seconds if you're lucky, and if not, I'll power off the radio, because that's obviously what you meant for me to do. 50/50." addition.

And of course, who can forget the "I'm going to randomly shut off the radio, and hopefully you won't get any calls before you realize it. By the way, the only way to get the radio turned back on is to do a battery pull." feature.

Yeah, I, to this day, am tempted to take it to the local rifle range for all the anger it has instilled in me.

Yeah, I, to this day, am tempted to take it to the local rifle range for all the anger it has instilled in me.
My Treo 650 and I went round and round, but I managed to avoid blowing it to hell. The 680 I replaced it with when the 650 wouldn't work with my new car's Bluetooth was a lot better, but still had random annoyances.

The iPhone, however, is a significant leap beyond the Treo's capabilities. You don't appreciate just how much having a fully capable web browser in a phone is until you've experienced it.

I must be the only happy Treo customer. At least, I'm happy with my 700P. I had a Treo 600, which had two fatal flaws. 1) The battery could not be replaced by the user 2) When the battery died, the phone lost all its data. I can't tell you how many times I lost everything on it because the battery wouldn't last more than 24 hours, even if you didn't talk to anyone.

I replaced it with a Treo 700P because I liked the features. It's going on 2 years of predominantly trouble-free service. I've only had probably 2 unexpected reboots. What I don't like about it is the web browser. I think next time I'll get something else, although what exactly I'm still working on.

I had pretty good luck with my 650. I did reboot spontaneously from time to time, but in general it was a pretty good phone. I will echo Jay's comments though. The fully functional (well almost, Flash needs to be added to the iPhone) web browser is so nice.

Currently the 650 is relegated as my flight computer in the glider using SoarPilot. although I will be switching over to an iPaq running SeeYou Mobile.

I have dropped my Instinct any number of times (though never off my motorcycle at 70 mph). It looks like it's been through a war, but it still works great.

Thank you. That is good to know. Thankfully, I'm pretty short so it really doesn't have that far to fall.

Jesse you may make an iphone user out of me yet.

I certainly will never buy another Windows CE device!

Depends on the card, but my AmEx card even covered my sunglasses when I lost them. Another reason to use them...

Depends on the card, but my AmEx card even covered my sunglasses when I lost them. Another reason to use them...
AmEx was the one I had in mind. Of course, I know that they cut back a LOT of people's credit lines in the past 6 months!

Jesse you may make an iphone user out of me yet.

I certainly will never buy another Windows CE device!

G1 - best phone ever made. As a software guy, you'll appreciate the ability to code for it without having to switch to a Mac. Plus - there is nothing the iPhone does that the G1 doesn't do just as well if not better.

Oh, and MMS isn't a hack on the G1, its built in.

Oh, and you can actually get insurance on the G1.....

edit: Oh - and Google has said that Flash will be coming to the G1, Apple has specifically said never.

G1 - best phone ever made. As a software guy, you'll appreciate the ability to code for it without having to switch to a Mac. Plus - there is nothing the iPhone does that the G1 doesn't do just as well if not better.

Oh, and MMS isn't a hack on the G1, its built in.

Oh, and you can actually get insurance on the G1.....

edit: Oh - and Google has said that Flash will be coming to the G1, Apple has specifically said never.
You might want to look at the announcements today. MMS is coming in iPhone 3.0 which was announced today.

As far as the G1 vs the iPhone--the iPhone itself is better hardware. Android is nice but the G1 isn't that nice. It'll be interesting when better hardware comes out.

I went to the Apple store. They'll sell me a new iPhone for $400. That sort of sucks since I bought this in Jan. for $199. Since I'm now a AT&T customer I don't get the phone credit for a new account. It is amazing that American cell phone companies get away with customer rentention via contract and then bend you over every opportunity they get.

I found a company in Kansas City that can fix it for about $220. Still $20 more than I paid but whatever. Sending it off today.

You might want to look at the announcements today. MMS is coming in iPhone 3.0 which was announced today.

As far as the G1 vs the iPhone--the iPhone itself is better hardware. Android is nice but the G1 isn't that nice. It'll be interesting when better hardware comes out.

I disagree that the G1 isn't that nice. Its durable and strong, and with the slide out keyboard, fat fingers like me have less problem typing.

The G2 is coming soon - it doesn't have the slide out keyboard. We'll see how that goes.

Back