My iPhone died. 1 month old

I went to the Apple store. They'll sell me a new iPhone for $400. That sort of sucks since I bought this in Jan. for $199. Since I'm now a AT&T customer I don't get the phone credit for a new account. It is amazing that American cell phone companies get away with customer rentention via contract and then bend you over every opportunity they get.

I found a company in Kansas City that can fix it for about $220. Still $20 more than I paid but whatever. Sending it off today.

You can't get a new phone because you got a $600 device for $199 with the rest coming over the 2 years of your paying for service. The $400 replacement is prolly a refurb.

It is a silly system but it's there mostly because U.S. consumers suck at math, so $200 and $25 a month for 24 months is a much better deal than paying $400. When the other company offers deal 1...

Oh I know why Mike..it is just funny when you think about it.

Jesse, you know about Celia dropping her iPhone (more mundane, she just dropped it in the parking garage), screen glass shattered, but hers still worked.

After hemming and hawing for a couple of minutes, the "Genius" at the Genius Bar just swapped her broken one for a new one.

'Course, she's cuter than you... but maybe you find the right Genius...

Well, if Jesse can't find a cute female Genius, maybe he can send Tristan in for him....

I went to the Apple store. They'll sell me a new iPhone for $400. That sort of sucks since I bought this in Jan. for $199. Since I'm now a AT&T customer I don't get the phone credit for a new account. It is amazing that American cell phone companies get away with customer rentention via contract and then bend you over every opportunity they get.

The problem, of course, is that they charge you for the phone over time rather than up front. The phone companies have taken "make 'em sucker" lessons from P.T. Barnum.

I agree that it's dishonest because the real cost is not disclosed up front, but it's far more honest than the companies that have auto-renewing contracts where you can't get out unless you tell them 60 days before expiration. Some alarm system contracts are like that, as was one internet service contract I ran across.

You can't get a new phone because you got a $600 device for $199 with the rest coming over the 2 years of your paying for service. The $400 replacement is prolly a refurb.

It is a silly system but it's there mostly because U.S. consumers suck at math, so $200 and $25 a month for 24 months is a much better deal than paying $400. When the other company offers deal 1...
You are right Mike.

The subsidy program comes from a time when cellphones cost a lot of money. Back in the 1990's a Motorola bag phone would be sold to an operator for about $800. For that operator to sell that to you they then would have had to mark it up. So some bright boy figured out that if you lock in people to use the phone for a set period of time you can earn back the cost of the phone plus profit. Subsidy quickly became the defacto standard in North America. No so elsewhere although it is still used in a few places. In china at the same time I mention the bag phone the top selling phone was the MicroTac 2 flip phone. In China that phone was selling to the public for $10,000 US. Here it was $199, with a unit cost of $1500 US to the operator.

The funny result of all of this is that the America people get low cost phone but the cell phone carriers end up having much more money rolled up in subscriber equipment than they do in infrastructure equipment. With a single cell site costing about $1,000,000 installed (including zoning headaches) that is a lot of subsidy!!

The net result is that US cell companies cannot quickly change their equipment over. It would be too costly for them to replace the CAPEX that they have invested in handsets. So the US lags behind in cool features and technology. While some think the Apple is the first touch screen handset it is not so. Touch screen was out in the late 1990's on a PalmOS based handset called the Ming in China. Synchronized with one's desktop it took the handset world in Aisa over in a huge storm. But in the US GSM was barely deployed and the entrenched handset base was CDMA. So it was not sold here.

The subsidy system is finally being seen as a hinderance. Sprint decided with their new WiMAX system, which is currently in Portland and Baltimore, to NOT subisidize the customer equipment. That has challenged vendors to move the smarts of the user experience into the network so as to be able to cost control the cusotmer equipment. The goal is to get ASPs to be below $150 per customer premise equipment. WiMAX is in several lap tops that started shipping last year and the modules in them meet that price point goal.

The problem, of course, is that they charge you for the phone over time rather than up front. The phone companies have taken "make 'em sucker" lessons from P.T. Barnum.

I agree that it's dishonest because the real cost is not disclosed up front, but it's far more honest than the companies that have auto-renewing contracts where you can't get out unless you tell them 60 days before expiration. Some alarm system contracts are like that, as was one internet service contract I ran across.
What really stinks is if you already own your phone try getting service without a contract. The cellphone companies will not offer that to you.

What really stinks is if you already own your phone try getting service without a contract. The cellphone companies will not offer that to you.

I've not found that to be the case. When I bought my Treo 600 (3 years ago now), I bought it used. Verizon was glad to switch me over to it (for a $35 fee), and my old phone was subsequently shot. Of course, it was a Verizon Treo initially. Had it been one sold to another brand, they wouldn't have done that.

If I had bought the phone and then tried to call up Verizon and get new service, I don't know how well that would have worked.

I remember where it used to be that you could buy a Motorola flip phone (the old analog ones that were common in the 90s) for $0.01 (with contract) or for $300.01 (without contract). Of course, without the contract, the phone served as little more than an expensive paperweight that could dial 911. It seems Verizon has a pretty minimal subsidy on their phones these days - I recall only getting something like $50 off my Treo for signing a new contract. The 2 years is coming up next April, so I have to figure out if I'm going to make the switch to a new phone or keep the Treo. I'm thinking I'll just keep the Treo, but I ought to change my contract seeing as long gone are the days when I used 1000 minutes a month.

I recall only getting something like $50 off my Treo for signing a new contract. The 2 years is coming up next April, so I have to figure out if I'm going to make the switch to a new phone or keep the Treo. I'm thinking I'll just keep the Treo, but I ought to change my contract seeing as long gone are the days when I used 1000 minutes a month.
So they did make you sign a contract? That is my point, many times even if you supply your own phone they try and sell you a contract. The only time I have seen that to not be true is with corporate accounts.

So they did make you sign a contract? That is my point, many times even if you supply your own phone they try and sell you a contract. The only time I have seen that to not be true is with corporate accounts.

When I supplied my own Treo 600 that I bought used, they did not sell me a contract, just charge me the $35 fee for switching phones.

When I bought my Treo 700P (from the Verizon Wireless store, and it was subsidized), they did make me sign a contract... and then still charged me the $35 fee for switching phones.

When I supplied my own Treo 600 that I bought used, they did not sell me a contract, just charge me the $35 fee for switching phones.

When I bought my Treo 700P (from the Verizon Wireless store, and it was subsidized), they did make me sign a contract... and then still charged me the $35 fee for switching phones.
I am very surprised that they did not sell you contract. It is a very rare thing. Just two weeks ago a now former colleague of mine was fighting with AT&T to transfer service from the corporate account to his personal one without incurring a 2 year commitment contract. He was supplying his own equipment as well.

Well, we are talking 3 years ago, so things may have changed some since then, I couldn't tell you. Also, I already had been a Verizon customer for 3 years by that point.

Verizon has had its issues certainly (I've been with them for 6.5 years now), but overall the service has been acceptable. I've had a few customer service qualms, but nowhere near as bad as from some other companies I've dealt with. The main thing is that I need to downgrade my current plan with them since it doesn't meet what I realistically use.

I've not found that to be the case. When I bought my Treo 600 (3 years ago now), I bought it used. Verizon was glad to switch me over to it (for a $35 fee), and my old phone was subsequently shot. Of course, it was a Verizon Treo initially. Had it been one sold to another brand, they wouldn't have done that.

If I had bought the phone and then tried to call up Verizon and get new service, I don't know how well that would have worked.

It's also not true you have to commit with AT&T Wireless. I bought my last 4 phones on eBay and just moved the SIM. Before that I went into a store and bought a new SIM. No commitment, not that I'd ever be moving. :rolleyes:

I hate commitments. I just got burned with the spawn of evil DirecTV which just signs you up to a commit while telling you you don't have a commit. When I called 20 months after what I knew was my 1 year commit they hit me with an early termination fee.

Just two weeks ago AT&T refused to let a colleague of mine have access without a contract when he was moving from corporate service to personal service.

Owell. The policy changed.

You can get a Pay-as-you-go GoPhone plan.

Last edited:
Too bad it wasn't a Timex.

I managed to drop a nearly new Timex (electric analog) watch 80 feet down an elevator shaft when it popped off the wristband during a little scuffle. I recovered the watch from the bottom of the shaft and at first glance it looked like it had survived (even the crystal was intact) but closer examination revealed the hands were flattened against the watch face and the internals were trashed. I guess that's why the old Timex commercials ("take's a lickin...") never showed a high drop test.

You had a scuffle in an elevator shaft?

007?

Tim

I managed to drop a nearly new Timex (electric analog) watch 80 feet down an elevator shaft when it popped off the wristband during a little scuffle. I recovered the watch from the bottom of the shaft and at first glance it looked like it had survived (even the crystal was intact) but closer examination revealed the hands were flattened against the watch face and the internals were trashed. I guess that's why the old Timex commercials ("take's a lickin...") never showed a high drop test.

matt michael dropped a digital timex out of a tree once NE of ames, in october. the next spring he had another job at the same house and found the watch. it was still running.

I am very surprised that they did not sell you contract. It is a very rare thing. Just two weeks ago a now former colleague of mine was fighting with AT&T to transfer service from the corporate account to his personal one without incurring a 2 year commitment contract. He was supplying his own equipment as well.

T-Mobile has (or at least had) non contract service available for people with good enough credit, and a similar FlexPay option for those with crappy credit.

It was kept pretty quiet.

T-Mobile has (or at least had) non contract service available for people with good enough credit, and a similar FlexPay option for those with crappy credit.

I think it really the case, that they keep it very quiet, and the sales people don't want to sell that package. That is what I meant by try to get a no contract deal. It is hard, not impossible. But it does beg the question, why do US cell carriers want to subsidize?

The contract issue really causes churn and unfavorable asset allocations.

I shipped my iPhone to a company called MissionRepair in Kansas City yesterday. They fixed it today and shipped it back with the following comments:
3/18/09 - Replaced digitizer and LCD, unit and all buttons working. Shipping back to cust. MC 3/18/09 - Received black 3g iphone 8GB, with sim tray, no sim card.
Repair cost $223

Busted Monday, shipped out Tuesday, fixed Wednesday, should have it back tomorrow.

I shipped my iPhone to a company called MissionRepair in Kansas City yesterday. They fixed it today and shipped it back with the following comments:

Repair cost $223

Busted Monday, shipped out Tuesday, fixed Wednesday, should have it back tomorrow.

C'Mon Jesse. I real hacker would have picked up a busted iPod Touch on eBay and swapped the parts. :rofl:

(The only flaw in that plan being that a new 16GB iPod Touch costs more than I paid for my refurb 16Gb iPhone. I checked.)

C'Mon Jesse. I real hacker would have picked up a busted iPod Touch on eBay and swapped the parts. :rofl:

(The only flaw in that plan being that a new 16GB iPod Touch costs more than I paid for my refurb 16Gb iPhone. I checked.)
I even have a spare 16gig iTouch I would have sold him too!

Repair cost $223

first post but ive been lurking for some time but i had a similar problem with my iphone 3g.

i pulled my phone out of my pocket and noticed the lcd was shattered. however, the touch screen still worked and i knew where a lot of the stuff was so i used it for a few days while the screen i bought from brando hong kong came in.
http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=02753
they used to have the digitizer as well but i only found it for the 1st gen which was fused with the lcd as one part.

the 3g is quite easy to take apart with a small phillips head screwdriver and a suction cup to separate the two halves. also, a guitar pick works well to detach components inside it.

atleast you got it fixed.

first post but ive been lurking for some time but i had a similar problem with my iphone 3g.

i pulled my phone out of my pocket and noticed the lcd was shattered. however, the touch screen still worked and i knew where a lot of the stuff was so i used it for a few days while the screen i bought from brando hong kong came in.
http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=02753
they used to have the digitizer as well but i only found it for the 1st gen which was fused with the lcd as one part.

the 3g is quite easy to take apart with a small phillips head screwdriver and a suction cup to separate the two halves. also, a guitar pick works well to detach components inside it.

atleast you got it fixed.

Jonathan,

Indeed it is easy. I took it apart before I sent it and could have easily fixed it myself if I had the parts. Both my LCD and digitizer/glass were completely destroied.

Once you price the parts--you find that it's about the same cost to just have them do it. To me, it seemed logical, to send it to them where they have plenty of spare parts, at the same cost.

thats true and you had to replace more than i did anyway. ill keep that site in mind for when i inevitably drop it again.

Some will under the right deals. I can get that with Verizon (may be part of our employee-negotiated deal). Others will if you push 'em hard enough. But it takes a fight.

I'll just bet the policy is not well known and that sales guys get credit for contracts signed NOT subscribers signed up.

I think it really the case, that they keep it very quiet, and the sales people don't want to sell that package. That is what I meant by try to get a no contract deal. It is hard, not impossible. But it does beg the question, why do US cell carriers want to subsidize?

The contract issue really causes churn and unfavorable asset allocations.

Scott, the carriers are concerned about churn and push folks very hard to do contracts. If you go to a retail store, it's even harder 'cause they want to cover the overhead.

But, yeah, as Nick points out, most carriers will give you a no-contract if you push hard enough.

Scott, the carriers are concerned about churn and push folks very hard to do contracts. If you go to a retail store, it's even harder 'cause they want to cover the overhead.

But, yeah, as Nick points out, most carriers will give you a no-contract if you push hard enough.

It costs companies hundreds of dollars to aquire a customer (not just mobile, TV too) in advertising, install, personel, systems and such. That's why they want to lock in with a contract.

Still, you would think they should JUMP on a new customer who doesn't want a contract and has only some back office costs to recover with no equipment.

Repair cost $223

Right after Jesse posted this, a friend of mine on vacation at Disney World with his little girls, posting blog entries and pictures from his iPhone, dropped it on the ground and busted his iPhone. He was VERY sad. I sent him Jesse's good report and comments above, and he wrote back with this today:

--------------------
Subject: iPhone

Troy, thanks for the tip on mission repair. They did a great job on my phone. They overnighted me a box, I put my iPhone in and overnighted it to them on Wed. On Thurs they received it, repaired it, put it back in the box an shipped it back to me. I had my phone back in my hand, like new, on Fri afternoon. Total cost with 3 way overnight shipping: $144.

I couldn't be happier. Thanks again. Please thank your buddy for me as well.

-Lars

This was always a big push at T-Mobile. During the Big 5 kickoff last year, they let us all know how many contracts would be ending that year, and gave tips on how to get people to extend and resign their contracts.

Carriers are scared of out of contract customers.

I have four family members on a family plan.

[answer phone] "Hello?"

"Hi, this is Verizon Wireless. Since you have been a loyal customer for - wow, 10 years now... we out of the goodness of our hearts would like to offer you a one month waiver of your monthly fee for renewing your contract."

"No deal. Call me back with a meaningful incentive and I'll consider it."

[several other tries to get me to take the same deal ensue]

"Well, is there anything else I can do for you today?"

"Sure, do you have the number for T-Mobile handy?"

"mumble mumble, no sir I don't"

"Goodbye" *click*

The deal never gets better. How hungry are they?

-Skip

This was always a big push at T-Mobile. During the Big 5 kickoff last year, they let us all know how many contracts would be ending that year, and gave tips on how to get people to extend and resign their contracts.

T-Mobile was (and prolly, still is) so afraid of people switching to AT&T to get the iPhone they would plead when a customer called and merely asked now much time was left on the commitment, "Why do you ask? Are you thinking of getting an iPhone?"

I just wish they'd build phones water proof. I had one die in my pocket just from me taking a wave....

Touch screen was out in the late 1990's on a PalmOS based handset called the Ming in China.

I used to use touch screen Siemens Pocket PC Phone Editions years before the iPhone and had a couple different ones from other manufacturers after that before the iPhone.

Metro PCS, you buy one of their phones for $100 or so (on up for upgrade phones) and you pay about $50 a month all said and done for unlimited voice and text. Problems are limited service markets (although expanding) and their data sucks for slow.

No contracts, no worries. When I'd leave their market, I wouldn't pay, hang on to the phone. Re enter their market, go in and fire it up again. I've upgraded phones with them and gave my old one to someone who could walk in and fire it up, no worries.

Back