My IO-550 upgrade journey

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Martin Pauly, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    So it wasn't the APS guys who invented this?.....lol

2. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    Now THERE'S a thread drift :)

Madison, WI (Jet Room Restaurant) makes excellent Eggs Benedict. Do your travels ever take you there, Kevin?

- Martin

3. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Right Seater
    Maybe if you run LOP you will get 2,600 hours too.
    Also, remember, @Martin Pauly was buying an upgrade, although I don't know if that implies any extra costs or not.

Very interesting. Thanks.

4. Martin Pauly

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    :)

LOP was was widely used in the 1940s and 1950s, to extend aircraft range in WWII and later in the piston engine airliner days. Some of the research and technical data was classified during the war because the knowledge of LOP provided a strategic military advantage. The jet age changed all that, and LOP was mostly forgotten - until the "Three Amigos" (George, Walter and John - the "APS Class") resurrected the topic, produced fresh data in George's test stand, and began teaching it to a larger group of pilots again.

- Martin

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  5. Martin Pauly

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    My $80K price should not be an indication of what's coming your way. Beyond the engine, I had to get a new prop, new prop governor, the conversion STC, the "unlike core fee", and the baffle kit. Plus labor to install it. Just swapping out the engine and replacing it with a factory-reman IO-550-B probably would be right around $50K. And a field overhaul can be had for less than that.

6. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    Is that what they told you?.... lol :D

7. Ryan Klems

Ryan Klems Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rowat
    Your timing was just ever so slightly off :( They are currently running a "core amnesty" program (http://continental.aero/avgas/Amnesty/) that includes waiving the dissimilar core fee. I managed to get in on it for my Vitatoe 520->550 upgrade for my T210L. $3500 is a drop in the bucket, but it paid for my standby alternator.

Congrats on your upgrade BTW! I look forward to watching a video on more of your impressions after you get through the break-in.

8. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    My post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Too many took it seriously.
    300 hp of NA IO-550 should be plenty for any Bonanza. And it's probably less expensive to buy a B36TC than retrofit an 'A' if one really hankers for a turbocharged Bo.

9. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    The WINNAH!

10. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    Before I joined my current partnership in the 'plain' A36 with a 550, I owned a share in a A36TC with the TSIO520. The turbo does have its benefits, in the summer you climb to 12-15k and just cruise along at 75%. You pick up some speed and climb rate. To get that, you spend more on fuel and maintenance. The TC withe the heated prop and oxygen was also nose-heavy and seemed to like the runway.

Having owned both, I prefer the NA. For someone who has a regular 'milk run' in the 400-500nm range, the added speed may be worth the trade-offs that come with the turbo.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  11. WannFly

WannFly Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    RAM

12. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Heywood Jablowme
    Are you insinuating that Charles Lindbergh is more famous than Martin Pauly?

13. airheadpenguin

airheadpenguin Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    airheadpenguin
    I fly an A36 where we did a similar conversion, with roughly the same engine times we had about 2700 on the IO-520 when it came out because people were looking for an upgrade rather than based on need. We found that we needed to be very attentive to oil analysis. Twice since the new engine went in, around the 100-200 hour mark, we started to see lifters showing up in the oil. It turns out that the lifter bores were not properly aligned between the case halves and that led to 2 full tear downs before we bought a new case. 1800 hours since and no problems

14. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    That's what "very rich mixtures" and the altitudes that you fly for break-in will do. I run my IO-550 (280hp) at 65% LOP at about 12 GPH in cruise. Takeoff fuel flow is about 25 GPH.

The airplane manufacturer or the engine manufacturer?

Unless you need a new prop, governor, and an upgrade STC, it'll be much less than $80K. The actual overhaul price, at least for my G, is about $39K right now. With R&R, that'll make it about $45K, and with the other things one does during overhaul I'm expecting it to be about $50K all in.

15. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Airplane manufacturer, which I believe follows the engine manufacturer who warrantees the engine.

16. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    The airplane manufacturers want your airplane to go as fast as they told you it would...

BTW, FWIW, book best economy procedure on my Mooney with the IO-550 is lean of peak.

N1120A likes this.
  17. PaulS

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Like I said, not my airplane, I try to respect how the owner wants it flown. For the NA 22, it's 75%, 75ROP, 65% 50LOP, the speed between the two settings is really not big of a delta, for a 100 nautical miles it's probably less than 5 minutes.

18. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Yup. I have the IO-550-G, the SR22 has the IO-550-N. Only difference is the prop and governor, the N spins 2700 RPM to develop 310hp whereas the G maxes out at 2500 RPM for 280hp.

For me, at optimum altitude I do 175 KTAS on 12 gph at best economy. Best power gets me 185 KTAS, but bumps it up to 17 gph, and probably an early engine overhaul too! :eek:

N1120A and PaulS like this.
  19. PaulS

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    What airplane are you in and what altitude for those numbers, those are good speeds.

20. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Mooney Ovation, 9000 feet. I usually plan 170 as I fly a lot of shorter trips where I won't get that high.

My best leg in terms of speed and efficiency was from New Mexico back to Wisconsin nonstop in 4:37 on 53.1 gallons of 100LL, truing 172 KTAS on 10.1 gph at 13,000 feet. :)

PaulS likes this.
  21. Sinistar

Sinistar En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    @Martin Pauly - thanks for sharing! I was surprised the downtime was only a month. I figured it would be longer but that's probably if you are having your old motor rebuilt vs the exchange you did for the 550. Was also wondering if you mind sharing the prop and governor costs separately from the rest. I was going to guess it to be close to $20K just for the prop and governor but maybe it was less than that?

22. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    The engine and prop sitting on the shop floor in crates when you drop off the plane is what allows you to get this done in a few weeks. You would think that it only takes a few days, but once you take out an engine that has rattled around for 2500hrs, it seems to be quite common that you find some things that 'need fixed'. In our case, there was some fatigue cracking at one of the motor mounts and there were many shop hours required to make the baffles fit the engine. The other monkey-wrench is when things what you didn't plan on replacing or overhauling have to be sent out. 5 years later, we had to 'repair' the engine and that took a lot longer as it involved two-way shipping and component NDT at the engine shop.

23. Arrow76R

Arrow76R Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arrow76r
    For my engine exchange the time issue was in the ordering process. It took about 3 1/2 months from order time to new engine arrival. But during that time I had ordered and received new engine mounts, a new heating pad for the oil sump, a new oil cooler, a new hose kit and had the prop hub and governor flushed. So when the engine did show up the shop spent less than one week hanging it and ready to fly.