My Girlfriend is Ruining My Life

To the OP:

I recently went on a trip to-from the Bahamas (non-GA, commercial to FL then cruise to Bahamas) and thought about a GA trip. I have a couple questions for you (considering you're 'local').
1- What airport are you based from
2- What route of flight were you planning to take

You can post your flightplan to cover both questions if you like.

these are my final thoughts....

this was my favorite:

quoted quote skipped - gdk

wow. you dont even know me...im not quite sure how old you are but good luck in life.

and...

quoted quote skipped - gdk

you have far too much time on your hands. time to look for a job--these skills im sure look great on a resume.

im out.

Has the FBI removed all the apostrophes from their keyboards? :D

these are my final thoughts....

this was my favorite:

wow. you dont even know me...im not quite sure how old you are but good luck in life.

and...

you have far too much time on your hands. time to look for a job--these skills im sure look great on a resume.

im out.

I need a sammich.

My question is simple, How can a guy say his GF is ruining his life, when he seems to not have one?

grow a pair, and go.

> Luckily - she is the funniest person i know

You need to listen to: There Ain't 'Nuthin Funny About a Woman with a Gun

Artists: Pinkard & Bowden

To the original poster:

Some of us live in the DC area. If you'ld like to get together and have some food and swap flying stories, let me know.

The invitation applies to your girlfriend as well, since she's not ruining your life after all. Nothing like a face-to-face meeting to put all sorts of misconceptions and bad assumptions to rest.

Merry Christmas.

To the original poster:

Some of us live in the DC area. If you'ld like to get together and have some food and swap flying stories, let me know.

The invitation applies to your girlfriend as well, since she's not ruining your life after all. Nothing like a face-to-face meeting to put all sorts of misconceptions and bad assumptions to rest.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks Tim. Id love to catch up sometime. Let me know what are the best times for you.

Andrew

Thanks Tim. Id love to catch up sometime. Let me know what are the best times for you.

Andrew

Pretty much anytime after 1/3. During weekdays I'm downtown close to the White House. Lunch at Old Ebbitt grille can be fun.

We were supposed to leave on Saturday from DC for an amazing trip down to the bahamas for 8-10 days in the club 172. It was going to be my first flight longer than 3 hours and my first time island hopping around some really amazing islands. I had put in countless hours of research planning and even though I didn't book hotels yet (so I could stay somewhat flexible), still poured in hundreds of dollars for customs and equipment (albeit the trip would have costed around $4k for just flight time + hotels)

Two evenings ago, on my way back from vail/denver for skiing/work she calls me and tells me that her boss said she wasn't allowed to take off work next week. I don't think she ever officially asked until two weeks ago and had to wait until tuesday to find out for sure. This is the 4th time this has happened this year.

Mother F'er

She has crushed my hopes and dreams of skimming over clear, turquoise waters while the sun washes over my face. Instead, i'll be stuck in gray, cold, boring DC looking for a cure to my temporary depression (alcohol).

The 4th time!!?? And you still put up with this kinda crap from her???:yikes:

I'm going to set you straight here. To be blunt you have been pu#@y whipped--plain and simple. What the F are you thinking??

I think we are both a bit to blame. We came up with the idea several weeks ago but nothing was cemented because we are VFR and didn't want to book hotel rooms for certain dates. I told her it was weather dependant but the plane was booked and we would definately be flying to Florida, and probably the bahamas.

She had to cancel our last two vacations (I went on one alone) because she didn't have enough leave left. When I brought up this idea, she said that she could definately go and would have the leave by then. Apparently, she was on some kind of probation for going into negative leave from our last trip, and wasn't able to put in her leave request until a couple weeks ago. She thought they would have approved it, but apparently there is some dispute and they told her no. It's a complicated situation that I don't really understand but am giving her the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, it is also our 1-year anniversary on NYE and I think it would be a d*ck move to go without her or bring someone else.

Just when you think it can't get any worse.......IT DOES. Why don't you stand in front of the mirror, slap yourself 10 times and say:

"I'm a wuss and I won't stand up for myself"

That is a valid point. She says she loves to fly and wants to go with me at every opportunity, even though she was originally scared over water. We flew to Nantucket a couple months ago and the portion from NJ to Nantucket we were over much more water than we would have been on this trip.

So did I somehow miss the memo that words now speak louder than ACTIONS? Hmmmmmm. I really feel sorry for you. You need to have your man card REVOKED.

If you truly had a pair, you would have flown yourself down anyway without her especially since you already have many eager pilots willing to join you.

I didn't book hotel rooms yet for this reason, although i did buy the 2011 and 2012 customs decals to allow for flexibility on return date.

Well I hope she is reimbursing you for the $$ spend on the CBP decals.....at the very least..

It's been an interesting evening.

Welcome to POA schmoopy.

And why the F did you tell her you were on this forum...especially after posting about her??? You have the right to remain silent, but you seem to have a great deal of difficulty exercising it! I will bet you a tank of Avgas that she never would have found this had you STFU all along!

Having a GF who works for the FBI, you should know that 99% of people in jail are there because they opened they're trap! Jail for you now meaning a ball and chain attached securely to your ankle.:eek:

hi im the gf that ruined his life. damn straight i work for the fbi and i find out everything.

i am going to set the record straight.

1) im not a dumb *****

2) i find out everything

3) i actually love flying and DO read aviation forums

4) i know this imp. im sorry my bosses ruined our lives. unfortunately i was told if i took anymore leave i would be FIRED bc this year my mom passed away and went home to la to be w/ her in addition to also going to costa rica and on a cruise with the duck.

5) i know just about as much about flying as you all do bc the duck loves it.

thank you all for your insight

You'd be good for only one thing:rofl:

We worked it out and all is merry again in DC.

No, like I said earlier, you've been P-whipped. You can't polish a turd no matter how badly you want to. It still stinks. You make the French Army look like U.S. Grant during the Civil War.:eek:

and then try and go somewhere sunny (commercial) for friday - monday of new years weekend.

Surrender, surrender, surrender. OMG! I hope SHE is paying for all of this. Otherwise.....well, I don't need to repeat it.

Thanks for everyone's input - good, bad, and funny. In the end - I think it was pretty entertaining. Luckily - she is the funniest person i know and handled this all pretty well. No need for anyone to be mean on here (including you schmoopy). Sorry if anyone got offended. I look forward to my continued addiction to the POA forum and when I finally meet some of you guys one day, we can have a good laugh about this debacle.

More turd polishing...

Proof positive that the decline of the American man continues in freefall in the 21st Century. I just want to VOMIT---and I have no vested interest in what the outcome of this is...

You've lost sir. I wish you good luck though.

Right on point! Someone who gets it at least! He's going to need A LOT of good luck, trust me!

OK Drew, you can pay me my 2 cents now. I accept credit card, check, free flight time or cash or any combo of the above.

Over and out. Time to get me a well deserved beer with popcorn:)

Last edited:
Get a new G.F. Sheeeesh. :rolleyes: There are lots of beauties out there that would fall head over heals with a pilot who would take them to the Islands at the drop of a hat. :)

31K4Isp0rEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

im out.

We'll look forward to seeing you again - many of us have found that it is the the confident woman that makes life interesting. I married one 29 years ago, never regretted a minute.

But as for how much time it took? I'm a mod here, I click on the little picture of a monitor that appears under your name, it tells me where you posted from. Spent a good five seconds on it.

Not that I can't waste a staggering amount of time here!

Life is good.

I tought this thread was a rerun of the odd couple. Felix Ungar, vomit!

Last edited:
Same here. As well as HWMNBN from Texas with the helicopter.

I don't remember LM for some reason, but HWMNBN I do remember. He was an interesting one.

This has been an interesting thread. Guess it's time to pop some popcorn. :D

To to the Bahamas by yourself, have fun, and get some strange.

Last edited:
Plenty of women down in the Bahamas....

+1

Your gf can get off work, she just does not want to go.

Seriously, OP call her boss and ask is she even tried to get off work. If not dump her, if she did dump her anyway and find a chick with money and time.

Last edited:
Get a new G.F. Sheeeesh. :rolleyes: There are lots of beauties out there that would fall head over heals with a pilot who would take them to the Islands at the drop of a hat. :)

True dat! If only the OP realized it!

You guys forget: they live in the same building...it ain't so simple afterall.

You guys forget: they live in the same building...it ain't so simple afterall.

Sure it is, that's not a problem. Twice in my life I've lived in the same HOUSE with someone I hated, and fixed that. That's what divorce lawyers (and real estate agents) are for.

Sounds like the boss is as big of a problem as anything.

they live in the same building...it ain't so simple afterall
Why not? Simple fix: Move. If the problem persists, move further.

Every pound not sitting in the pax seat is an extra pound of fuel that can be carried for time in the air.
Every penny not spent on relationships can be spent on airplanes.

I don't remember LM for some reason, but HWMNBN I do remember. He was an interesting one.

This has been an interesting thread. Guess it's time to pop some popcorn. :D

And who could forget our old war buddy, Cowboy?

Fly to the Bahamas? I'll be your girlfriend for the week. I get to be the big spoon though. :rofl: I've been married for over 13 years. If my wife pulled that stuff on me, I'd have a lot of fun by myself!

Is she afraid of flying? My wife is afraid to fly and it kind of sucks. She rarely goes flying with me. I'm going to fly to Nome in March to watch the end of the Iditarod. My wife is not interested at all in flying that far in the winter. That's cool though. I'll be able to get into more trouble out there with my friends instead! :D

This is a funny thread, with all the 'dump her, go anyway, look-who's-a-wimp' :rolleyes: braggadocio. Isn't there an icon of a gorilla pounding his chest somewhere?

Sadly, once we're paying our own bills, we find that life is full of little inconveniences and disappointments, like work, family, and other things-that-come-first. What a pain to be grownups with obligations, compromises, and postponed pleasures. I'm still mad, 35 years later, about missing out on my one chance to spend two weeks with family in Costa Rica, because my new boss cancelled my vacation.

All that Bahamas planning and scheming must've been fun, though, a reward of its own that will come in handy some other time, with better-coordinated schedules..

My wife went along to KRTN in the back seat while Clark played Safety Pilot and laughed when Clark nicknamed me "Stevie Wonder", for my inability to hold a straight course line under the hood. (And no offense to Mr. Wonder in any way.)

This is a funny thread, with all the 'dump her, go anyway, look-who's-a-wimp' :rolleyes: braggadocio. Isn't there an icon of a gorilla pounding his chest somewhere?

Sadly, once we're paying our own bills, we find that life is full of little inconveniences and disappointments, like work, family, and other things-that-come-first. What a pain to be grownups with obligations, compromises, and postponed pleasures. I'm still mad, 35 years later, about missing out on my one chance to spend two weeks with family in Costa Rica, because my new boss cancelled my vacation.

All that Bahamas planning and scheming must've been fun, though, a reward of its own that will come in handy some other time, with better-coordinated schedules..

39518033759975958369922.jpg

I believe you've stumbled upon "the ten year rule".

"Will this crap matter in ten years?"

In the case of missing the family trip to Costa Rica... Yep. It did. Did any of the work you did when your boss cancelled the vacation affect your life ten years later? (Perhaps you'd have been fired and it would have. I'm not judging or attempting to answer the question.)

It's a fun mental trick - probably related to the "Successful People" thread, too. ;)

Common purpose, common goals, common outlook, common values. It doesn't have to be exact, but the basics need to be there. Without them a successful relationship is very difficult.

Maybe it is time to look within instead of looking to others.

You have to work it the other way, first you book the time off, then you book the activity to suit. If you start 2-3 weeks out I find you get the best travel deals. If you don't make plans until you have the time then you won't be in this situation again and your problem is solved with your flights not ruined.

In the event that you are not aware; the B-word is an acronym:

Be In-charge, Take Control of Him

You can do better. Much better. Frankly; unless she carries a gold
shield, she doesn't have a career, she has a job.

Last edited:
Back