my favorite inventions.......

Several years ago when I lived in Charlotte I stayed in a hotel that had one. When I got home I bought one immediately for our shower.

LOL! Another widebody shower devotee! Not dissing you, I for sure need one too!

-Skip

When I bought my current house there was only one bathroom which had the tub/shower combo, and there was no curtain rod. I assume the previous owners must have been using one of the tension-style units and took it with them. I installed a brushed-nickel curved shower rod as a bonus for guests. I’ve never showered in it, so I can’t directly attest to its effectiveness, lol.

Ours was the brushed nickel too. And it is very effective. More elbow room.

Back in my racing days the national speed limit was 55 mph. I mean we had serious trouble staying awake at those speeds. As the song goes, I can't drive 55.

We had radar detectors, made by Cincinnati Microwave. We used them to detect radar waves sent out by radar units made by... wait for it.... Cincinnati Microwave.... :rolleyes: :lol::lol:

Back in my racing days the national speed limit was 55 mph. I mean we had serious trouble staying awake at those speeds. As the song goes, I can't drive 55.

We had radar detectors, made by Cincinnati Microwave. We used them to detect radar waves sent out by radar units made by... wait for it.... Cincinnati Microwave.... :rolleyes: :lol::lol:

They're illegal in the state of Virginia. Aren't they pretty useless nowadays since every car has blind spot alerts that use the same tech to detect speed?

They're illegal in the state of Virginia. Aren't they pretty useless nowadays since every car has blind spot alerts that use the same tech to detect speed?

I was making reference to the 80s and very early 90s. With speed limits up to 80 in some places I don't use a radar detector anymore so I have no idea what the current technology is.

Yeah, there was a few more places radar detectors were illegal. We were never deterred by such thoughts. I think it was Ohio that used to get on the public radio and make statements such as, ''55 and your fine. 56 and your mine''.

The way we drove we would speed when we had a few vehicles in front of us. When the ''instant on'' radar was turned on to check speed of a car in front of us, my detector would pick it up.

in all seriousness....this is very nifty.

https://sensorcon-sensing-products-...SwbDTkqOCLuZH0G0ZXJaFvDa_PNEFcIhoCtxsQAvD_BwE
Sensorcon_Inspector_CO_1B_grande.jpg

I’ve been using a safety razor since September, I think. I like the process better. I like the results better. And a $.09 razor blade lasts me five days. I don’t feel bad at all if I decide to retire one early. Before that I went from Mach3 to Dollar Shave Club, with a stop in between buying direct from Dorco (same cartridges).

The most surprising thing to me is that in nearly five months of using the dreaded deadly double edged blade, I haven’t yet fatally nicked myself. But oh, how I do love a nice thick mug of freshly whipped up, warm sandalwood shave cream.

I am a recent convert; I went mach3 -> dorco -> safety razor as well.

I don't know. I have more than one favorite invention. The smoker is way up there. So is the refrigerator. Internal combustion engine. The wheel. I'm not a fan much anymore, but I kind of owe my living to computers. Binoculars are good, that's how I met my first girlfriend. French toast? That's a favorite. I think I need more time for this.

This is why I had to buy a Diesel pickup. Can't pump your own gas in Oregon. But with Diesel and a cardlock account you can. (No personal cardlock accounts allowed for gasoline.)

On the shaving thing I've used an electric forever. According to my Amazon records I get a new cutter assembly about once a year for $20.
That's the funniest reason to buy diesel I've ever heard....but I hear you! I hate having to drive through Oregon to visit family, but I can't escape it. And I can't get all the way through without having to get gas. I think they should have an exception for out-of-staters.

Coffee makers with timers. Nothing like waking up to find your coffee already brewed.

I am a recent convert; I went mach3 -> dorco -> safety razor as well.
It just ticks me off that I have to make a choice between checking a bag when I travel, and using a disposable razor. Both options suck.

Coffee makers with timers. Nothing like waking up to find your coffee already brewed.

I have an older starbucks single cup brewer. Fills a tumbler that came with the device. The motto of that unit is: 'nothing like waking up to a puddle of coffee on your kitchen floor'.

That's the funniest reason to buy diesel I've ever heard....but I hear you! I hate having to drive through Oregon to visit family, but I can't escape it. And I can't get all the way through without having to get gas. I think they should have an exception for out-of-staters.

I remember the first time I ran into that stupidity in Oregon. Pulled into a gas station in K Falls for gas. Nobody around, so I got out to gas up the car myself. Then the gas station attendant showed up and darned near broke my arm and told me that I couldn't pump my own in Oregon. I have never heard why, but I suspect that the gas station attendants have a good lobbyist in that state (and in NJ). BTW, they've changed the law in Oregon and if the county is small enough (population wise) you can pump your own. Good, the places I've been in Oregon lately are small.

That's another thing I hate about NJ. The full-serve gas requirement is really an inefficient jobs program, but the legislature tries to make it sound like it is an essential safety requirement, protecting their constituents who could not possibly understand the intricacies of working a gas pump. I'm really surprised they don't require paid attendants at charging stations to plug in the Teslas.

But, climbing a rickety ladder and leaning out over a high wing dragging a fuel hose to dispense 100 octane leaded fuel? No problem! We have self-serve pumps at the airports!

And I have been keeping track; in 35 years of paying the premium for 'full serve' in NJ, not once have I gotten my windshield cleaned or oil checked. I've had attendants refuse on multiple occasions. 'We don't do that', being the consistent excuse.

Years ago, I can't honestly say how many, I bought a shaver for my face and a trimmer for my beard. Wound up using the trimmer on my hair, it works great. Haven't seen a barber in a long, long time, so I suspect the trimmer has paid for itself many times over.

All that said, I have very light hair (so do many of you. Gray is a very light color) so I can get away with using the shaver a few times a week, I don't really have to use it every day. I think someone with dark hair would. And of course I'm follicularly challenged, so cutting my one hair isn't difficult at all.

Back