My engine fell out

What's the difference going to be between this and a brand new engine? Nothing?

Nice pics, are you doing the work yourself?
My IA and I are doing it together. One of us watching and double checking the other as they work.

Not much. I reused the old main crank which was turned down .006" so I'll get at most one more overhaul out of it, but it will not be any less "good" than a new one. Because I replaced anything I couldn't overhaul to like new condition, it's essentially new, but I can't call it new. Any time someone said, this is "ok", I replaced it, unless you couldn't tell the difference from new. I'll have a lot of parts I can sell to air-boaters (which are common around here)

I even bought all new hardware. Probably 3 - 400 dollars in screws, nuts and washers alone. I couldn't see putting dirty old hardware on a shiny new engine.

That crankshaft is nitrided & with your new (this time) oil filter, should last almost indefinitely.

Well it’s taken a lot longer than anticipated, but today is the test run, hopefully fly it tomorrow......

Yeah. Getting my mechanics time when I needed it slowed me down. I’d get blocked where I couldn’t work until he inspected things before I could move on.

But it was an awesome experience. I’d do it again. Have a lot of what I need to get my A&p some day.

Spun the engine with the starter to pre oil. Got good pressure, but after there was a small leak. Found the problem, but it’s with the prop governor, which on a mooney is not easy to get to. Unfortunately this will put me back another two weeks, since Ive got other stuff going on the next two weeks. :(

This has been a cool thread to read. Thanks for taking the time to document and go through in as much detail as you did. Imagine now what happened if you tried to push the engine further past TBO??

This has been a cool thread to read. Thanks for taking the time to document and go through in as much detail as you did. Imagine now what happened if you tried to push the engine further past TBO??

He did, 2650 hours SMOH. His oil consumption was a but higher than normal and would have gone higher if any other rings broke and the cylinders probably would have shown more wear.

Doing jobs like this yourself add a lot to the downtime, no doubt. That was part of what I ran into with the 414. However, you learn a lot about the airplane and gain a lot of good skills. Plus, in a lot of cases you'll do things that mechanics generally won't do or that cost a lot to get done. For example, I took out about 30 lbs or so of wires, antennas, and other unnecessary junk from the 414 when I had it all torn apart. On that plane, it was worth a lot.

I gotta give my mechanic props for the quick diagnosis of the oil leak on pre-oil. I would have never figured it out, but he saw it in 30 seconds. One of the studs on the governor wasn’t fully driven in, so when we torqued the adapter to the accessory case, that stud hit the governor stud and while we got proper torque on the nut, it was torqued against the other stud, not the case, which allowed the small leak.

It took me another 4 hours to figure out how to get into the area without pulling the motor again, but the fix itself was trivial thanks to his excellent troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Does the plane feel zippier? Or even saltier?
Can’t tell from the test flight. Tried to keep the temps very low and follow the recommended power settings. It didn’t seem to jump off the runway, but then again I forgot to raise the gear right away since I haven’t flown a retract in 10 months. I did remember to put the gear down though. ;)

I don't want to criticize, I'm asking.

It looks to me that the single turn on the safety wire termination is inadequate. I usually do six.
That was redone after the pic for other reasons as well, but I count at least two turns. ;-)

Prices of new engines are insane.

The fact that Lycoming will not accept a core over 30 years old is also insane. At that point you pay the core charge on top of any exchange from Lycoming or do a field overhaul to avoid that altogether.

(I'll be field overhauling as well)

Last edited:
You should share some photos of the new JPi!

Per Lycoming SB 480F the max oil consumption formula for direct drive engines is: 0.006 x BHP x 4 ÷ 7.4 = Qt./Hr.

I notice this is equivalent to -

BHP ÷ 308 = Qt./Hr.
call it
BHP ÷ 300 = Qt./Hr.

This week is the one year anniversary of the first run after overhaul. 124 hours and still going strong. Not a single issue. :)

Nice! My engine just left in a crate for an overhaul... :-(

Oh, two other comments about before / after comparisons.

1. Performance. Honestly, now that I've done multiple long cross country trips, it's no difference at all. Despite the broken rings and worn lobe, I'm not seeing any evidence of more power when looking at numbers across a long period of time. At most, there was a few knots difference, but less than 5 in cruise speed. No noticeable difference in climb.

2. I finally flew it at night recently, I've been avoiding that as long as I could. With the G5 I'd installed previously, and the JPI engine monitor, it is now much more enjoyable to fly at night. No more pointing silly lamps at gauges to barely be able to see them. Nicely self-dimming instruments made it easy to see what's what at a glance.

Is that an analogy or is that a schedule/timeline estimate?

At this point in the year it could be both. Or it could take longer depending on what the engine is that was sent in.

Back