My Checkride...by Brook

Hours flown: 177.7
CFI’s: 22
Airport’s Visited Towered: 7 Uncontrolled: 10 Grass Strips: 1 Total: 18
Aircraft: 12 different makes and models
N Numbers: 18
Years: 7 years, 7 months, 15 days
Logbook Entries:

Good God, I don't know if I would have stuck with it that tenaciously. Great job!

LOL - they're not mountains when a 152 can climb over them, Brook. The secret is to just fly higher than the mountains are. Out here, you gotta find passes, out there, you just fly over them.

not necessarily true nick. while you theoretically do not have to worry about hitting cumulogranite if you stay above the rocks, when the weather conditions are right, the flying can be a royal PIA near mountains of any size. Winds of 20 knots or more blowing perpendicular to the ridgeline will create mountain wave phenomenon of some intensity. The downdrafts will likely exceed the climb performance of a 172, and brook will be approaching the mountain from the downwind side, so she would have to come through a downdraft just before crossing the peak. Encounters with rotor of any intensity could easily cause a loss of control. A good mountain checkout with someone experienced flying in the area would be on the top of my list. Learn to recognize the weather patterns associated with hazardous flying conditions, and some ways to deal with it, and get some limits set to know when too much is too much.

That's a truely inspiring story Brook! Wow, talking about hangin' in there like grim death. Good for you!!! Now go have some fun, you have earned it big time:yes:

Congratulations Brook! Welcome to the club! Great story!

Brook,
That was a great write-up! I laughed, I cried, I threw-up too! Well, not when I read it as it was beautifully written. Don't worry about that, either. I get sick when I get stressed out too. Ask my wife about the day we got married some time, or the checkrides at SIU, or my first pilot job! Nerves and airsickness are a winning combo for a pilot.....
Now you have a "license to learn" so enjoy it.
Congratulations!
--Matt

I just now got to see this Brook. Great write-up of a WILD experience. I have had a few checkrides, and the sum of them does come to a tenth of yours.
I admire your perserverence and know you will be an inspiration to others.

What a story. Makes my checkride look like a non-event by comparison. Glad you stuck it out. Welcome, pilot.

A spin huh? I'd have smacked the DE like a bad bad donkey:)
OTOH, he was cool about the solo endorsement & the ELT

Good job!

I only had 4 CFIs that flew with me. I started at Princeton NJ (3 lessons), then continued at Solberg, NJ when I changed jobs- there were two CFIs there that tag-teamed me. One fellow who was hired @ Continental & got forloughed before he started due to 9/11, and a young lady that looked like a super model. I was her first student- her first day! She showed up in a tank top & tight pants & my first look at her was when she was refueling a C-152:yes: . I think the high-wing/low wing argument depends on who they first saw refueling a high-wing. Both had great knowledge of flying. I almost finished, then moved to Millville NJ (another job) where a older fellow finished me off (just XCs and night). They all did a great job, I keep in touch with most of them to this day.

I haven't done any mountain flying yet nor have I even been to the NC mountains for that matter. :dunno: Sooooo, could you guys come a tiny little bit further?

Let me know what airport you're comfortable with and that will be the meeting place! Just make sure it's at least 50.1 NM from your home airport so you can log it as a XC.
PM me, Bill and Brent with your thougts.

Very nice write up for a great accomplishment, Brooke. Congratulations to you for your determination. Enjoy your new pilot status and keep spreading your wings. Your family must be beaming with pride.

Sounds like you're statistically pre-puked for the rest of your hopefully long, private pilot experience. Well done.

Let me know what airport you're comfortable with and that will be the meeting place! Just make sure it's at least 50.1 NM from your home airport so you can log it as a XC.
PM me, Bill and Brent with your thougts.
Keep me in mind for this get together too. Thanks

Most definately Lance. Bring Sue if she is up too it. We should make it a fly in. A BROOK FINALLY IS A PRIVATE PILOT PARTY!!!!! :yes:

Pictures!!!!!!

1. Fred the DPE and Me
2. Kerry, Me and Colleen (my fabulous air traffic controllers)
3. Me and Colleen (the ink is still wet on my ticket and she wants me to fly her to Charleston WV soon to go snow skiing. Hah hah hah. Oh and I promised her some No Gyro Approaches.)

Attachments

• checkridepics 076.jpg
    checkridepics 076.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 66
  • checkridepics 077.jpg
    checkridepics 077.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 56
  • checkridepics 078.jpg
    checkridepics 078.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 55
Wilco! After the holidays thinking maybe Big Daddy's in Moorseville, NC? (great food, about 20min from Statesville)
http://www.bigdaddysoflakenorman.com/
Sounds great. Opens at 5pm. Everybody get your night currency so you can fly home:D
OTOH, hard to imagine fresh oysters w/o a beer or nice Chardonnay. May have to find a hotel nearby.

Pictures!!!!!!

1. Fred the DPE and Me
2. Kerry, Me and Colleen (my fabulous air traffic controllers)
3. Me and Colleen (the ink is still wet on my ticket and she wants me to fly her to Charleston WV soon to go snow skiing. Hah hah hah. Oh and I promised her some No Gyro Approaches.)
Quite a smile ya got there Brook. Has it faded yet?

Most definately Lance. Bring Sue if she is up too it. We should make it a fly in. A BROOK FINALLY IS A PRIVATE PILOT PARTY!!!!! :yes:

Me too, depending on location!

Missa

oop... just noted the place and even if I'm night current, club rules no VFR night flying : (

Last edited:
What a nice day. Today at work we had our holiday lunch and gift exchange. After exchanging gifts my coworker was like..."Next in our program" and my friend who used to work for Aviation had balloons, a card and a cake (1/4 sheet) that said Congratulations Brook. :princess: He also read the last part of my story about never giving up and to follow your dreams. :yes: IM SO HAPPY!!!!!

And where would this party be held? Can I bring Rosie? Wait, what am I saying. Yuck! :eek:

Brook:

This is quite the story!! So well written. I'm so proud of you.
Congratulations!!

Best,

Dave

Brook: Consider submitting your story to Flight Training magazine. I think it could inspire students all over the country!

-Skip

Years: 7 years, 7 months, 15 days

(snip)
I hope my story inspires at least 1 person, if not more. I think my calling now, is to help those who think they cannot do this, when all they need is someone to help guide them in the right direction.
(snip)
DON’T EVER GIVE UP!!!!! I never gave up and now my dream has come true.

Wow, That's more than inspiration for those of us just starting out. :) Congrats!

Keep me in mind for this get together too. Thanks

Will do Lance. I just PM'd Bill and we will be trying to find a weekend and location for January. Once we get it hammered out one of us will post the particulars for those who may be interested in joining us.

Last edited:
Brook, I just read this. HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

For the life of me Brook, I don't know how I managed to miss your wonderful write up of your checkride. :redface: CONGRATULATIONS! And what a fantastic narrative! :D:D:D

Yeah...how DID you miss this? It was posted on the red board too. I was starting to think you didn't love me anymore. :)

Back