My airplane is owned by an LLC.......selling

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
I am listed as "Governor." But I seem to remember that when I sell..............the FAA wanted "Member" listed on the bill of sale.

Should I just write "governor/member?"

Selling my PA28-180C

I am listed as "Governor." But I seem to remember that when I sell..............the FAA wanted "Member" listed on the bill of sale.

Should I just write "governor/member?"

Selling my PA28-180C

If it is a Washington State registered LLC, and you are one of/or sole owner it will be "Member".

Your best bet is to call or email the aircraft registry folks and ask. They are the most nit-picking bureaucrats I've come across, but at least they respond to questions quickly.

“Member” has always worked for me in the past but if there are questions I’d do what Ron suggests, call the FAA.

Most likely they want the signature on the sale to match the one on the original registration/bill of sale when the LLC acquired it.

Your best bet is to call or email the aircraft registry folks and ask. They are the most nit-picking bureaucrats I've come across, but at least they respond to questions quickly.

Thats for sure. I finally gave up on deregistering the Aztec because of how picky they were. After 3 or 4 back and forths I decided to just leave it expire.

My title on the papers is "President". The FAA wasn't happy until I put down "member". I genuinely don't give a rat's assay how I'm referred to so long as I get whatever piece of paper I need from them.

An LLC is a business organization that is created under and governed by state law. So, there can be some variance from state to state. But in most, if not all states, an LLC is owned by "members." (This is contrast to a corporation, which is owned by "shareholders.") So, the FAA wants the owner(s) of the LLC to sign. An officer is not necessarily an owner. That's why "governor," or "president" is not accepted.

When I registered mine under my LLC, I was told to use 'Manager'. Never had an issue.

When I registered mine under my LLC, I was told to use 'Manager'. Never had an issue.

Not with an aircraft specifically, but with another LLC in the state of Florida, that's the magic word: Manager.

Out of curiousity, what state has LLC ownership described as "Governor" ? That's sorta cool. Nobody likes being called a Member :D

If the current rules were in effect when you registered the airplane in the LLC, you also provided a statement attesting to its formation, the citizenship of its members, and the names and titles of those authorized to sign the application for registration. All the FAA is asking is that you follow what you already attested to in the Bill of Sale.

Out of curiousity, what state has LLC ownership described as "Governor" ? That's sorta cool. Nobody likes being called a Member :D
The official term in every state I am familiar with is "member." It's the LLC equivalent of a corporate "shareholder." None I am aware of prohibit the creation of membership levels, officers or agents, or the use of pretty much whatever titles you want to use for them.

Mine........OP........Washington

That doesn't sound correct?

Two of my three operating companies are LLCs registered in Washington State (until last year our main corporate office was in Tukwila, near KSEA). The owners are described as "Members" in the documents.

Last edited:
Back