Mustang Mach E

The only problem that hasn't been addressed when discussing EV is the fact that if it only meets 80-90 percent of your mission you will need another vehicle to cover the remaining portion. That means more out of pocket money that could be used for investing, double the insurance, double the garage space, etc.........
Another option is to rent the other vehicle as needed. I haven't driven more more than 150 miles round trip from my house in two years, which is within EV range. If I had an EV and I needed to drive to Denver or Chicago once every two years, I'd probably rent a car for those trips. I've rented trucks the few times I needed to haul a lot of stuff at one time. The advantage is you get the vehicle you need as you need it. 80 % of the time? I'd agree with what you wrote. 90% is about the place where I'd wonder if it is better to rent as needed, although convenience plays a role too.

If I had an EV and I needed to drive to Denver or Chicago once every two years, I'd probably rent a car for those trips.
Depends on the EV that you have, doesn't it?

All of them will require longer "refueling" stops than an ICE car but those that start with a longer range, and can use (available) DC fast charging, will minimize the difference. Since the EV Mustang is a new design I'd assume that it will have those capabilities.

If you have a Tesla, not only do you have the largest network of DC fast charging stations but you have Autopilot which reduces driver fatigue on long trips. If I had a Tesla, especially one with Navigate on Autopilot feature, I'd leave the ICE car at home and take it.

Depends on the EV that you have, doesn't it?

All of them will require longer "refueling" stops than an ICE car but those that start with a longer range, and can use (available) DC fast charging, will minimize the difference. Since the EV Mustang is a new design I'd assume that it will have those capabilities.

If you have a Tesla, not only do you have the largest network of DC fast charging stations but you have Autopilot which reduces driver fatigue on long trips. If I had a Tesla, especially one with Navigate on Autopilot feature, I'd leave the ICE car at home and take it.
You are correct, and that is certainly another option. Other trips may not have the infrastructure along I-80, at least as yet, to use an EV to full advantage.

I don't understand why companies like Tesla don't make more hybrids. But I guess their reasons are the same reasons the Volt failed. I was sorry to see that happen.

Tesla doesn't make hybrids because they want people to buy purely electric vehicles, and you don't prove that BEVs are viable by producing PHEVs.

The reason the Volt failed was a dispute between GM and their union that resulted in the shutdown of the plant that the Volt was produced in. It had nothing to do with the Volt being a good (or bad) car... And really, the Volt is still the category-defining vehicle for PHEVs IMO. The 2nd-gen Volt had >50 miles of electric range, and other than the i3 (which is more of a range-extended BEV), that was the best out there. That spot is now held by the Honda Clarity at 48 miles.

The demise of the Volt really is very unfortunate. A PHEV is a great way to test the waters when it comes to EVs. No range anxiety, but you still don't burn any gas most of the time (unless you get one of the woefully short-range offerings from BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, et al). And the Volt was the best of the bunch. Bad move by GM, I think they'd have captured a lot of sales in the next few years.

You are correct, and that is certainly another option. Other trips may not have the infrastructure along I-80, at least as yet, to use an EV to full advantage.

Not sure what you mean by that - The Supercharger network covers I-80 coast to coast. :dunno:

<snip>
Not sure what you mean by that - The Supercharger network covers I-80 coast to coast. :dunno:

Not all trips use I-80. Those trips using different routes than I-80 may not have the charging infrastructure.

Last edited:
Not all trips use I-80. Those trips using different routes than I-80 may not have the charging infrastructure.
Indeed - not all trips use Interstate highways, period. If you're touring, you mostly want to avoid them. We've gone for days and never hit an Interstate or major city, and we do it at least once a year or so. Of the 3K miles we drove on vacation, I'd say 2/3 or more were off-Interstate, and I wish it had been more. Thank God for gasoline.

I went to the Los Angeles Auto Show today and looked at the Mustang Mach E. It's smaller in person that I was expecting (not a bad thing), but it's probably a 4 person vehicle comfortably, with 5 in a pinch. In person, it's a pleasant looking vehicle... but it's NOT a Mustang. It's "Mustang Inspried"... so perhaps it would have been better that Ford used another name (like reviving the "Maverick" monicker).

FFD09062-4633-4EAF-8FF4-BB00F1DE9F3A.jpeg 07E9221C-907F-42A5-8DEA-EC396F7A0CB7.jpeg

Last edited:
Indeed - not all trips use Interstate highways, period. If you're touring, you mostly want to avoid them. We've gone for days and never hit an Interstate or major city, and we do it at least once a year or so. Of the 3K miles we drove on vacation, I'd say 2/3 or more were off-Interstate, and I wish it had been more. Thank God for gasoline.

Absolutely... I like to get off the beaten path as well. Many of those routes are still do-able today... As long as you can get *near* the beaten path every few hours. There are Superchargers being installed away from interstates now as well. Lake Geneva is one example in my area.

Getting up to Sidnaw is still a bit of a challenge. That's why you won't hear me telling Ed he needs to get a Tesla. Coming from his side of the lake, it's 170 miles to the Gaylord Supercharger and then 293 miles to Sidnaw. Plenty workable in the summer, but honestly downright dangerous in the depths of winter. When the Mackinaw City Supercharger opens up, it'll be much more reasonable - One leg of 230 miles, one leg of 240. When the Tesla Cybertruck comes out, the long-range version of that will have no trouble at all. (It's much easier from this side of the lake, where a quick stop at the Green Bay supercharger would be more than enough in any weather.)

I've always thought that it'd be really fun to travel the old Route 66 (as close as you can, anyway) out to the west coast, then the PCH and other roads up the coast, then back via US 2. The 66 portion is easy, since the corridor served by 66 is now served by I-55, I-44, and I-40 so the Superchargers are never far away. The PCH portion might be a little dicey between Daly City and Eureka (315 miles), though with that area's normal mild weather and the fact that you wouldn't be going interstate speeds should make that possible as well. I was actually surprised at how much of US 2 will be possible soon, with a Supercharger already installed at Leavenworth, WA and more planned... But once you're past Shelby, MT there's a gap until Great Falls, MT.

But, as time goes on and Teslas become more widespread, there'll be enough demand to justify Superchargers in more and more out-of-the-way places. I don't see this as a hindrance to EV adoption in the long term.

Will there be more non tesla authorized repair stations in the future?
Otherwise it would not be feasible for people in my area of central kalifornia to drive that far when problems arise.

I went to the Los Angeles Auto Show today and looked at the Mustang Mach E. It's smaller in person that I was expecting (not a bad thing), but it's probably a 4 person vehicle comfortably, with 5 in a pinch. In person, it's a pleasant looking vehicle... but it's NOT a Mustang. It's "Mustang Inspried"... so perhaps it would have been better that Ford used another name (like reviving the "Maverick" monicker).

Yeah, I think the vehicle itself looks decent-enough. My only qualm with it is the "Mustang" name. It just doesn't make much sense. If they'd named it the Mach-E, and use the Mustang taillights, I'd probably be okay with it. No one would have batted an eye if they re-used the Maverick name (well maybe 70's Ford Maverick fans, but that's only like 3 guys total in the world).

Will there be more non tesla authorized repair stations in the future?
Otherwise it would not be feasible for people in my area of central kalifornia to drive that far when problems arise.

That's an interesting question, and nobody really knows. Most of them are still under warranty so there hasn't been a lot of demand for non-Tesla service yet. Tesla would probably like to keep it in house just like Apple does, to have control of the user experience, while there's plenty of right-to-repair stuff going on that will likely force Tesla to allow third party repairs in at least some states.It'll be interesting to see what happens with that the first time a poorly trained third-party tech zaps themself and dies too.

Tesla has been moving to a more mobile service model as well. It's rare that a Tesla needs to be up on a lift - There's no fluids to drain, and the only thing on the underside of the car is the battery. Basically everything is done from above. The mobile service techs have been very popular and made customers very happy, so it makes more sense to hire more of them than build a service center in every little town.

Back