Mustang Mach E

I like the Mach-E, it's really grown on me quite a bit. (Especially after the cybertruck reveal).

I imagine long term in our life we will own an electric commuter (Maybe the Mach-E) and a gas/diesel pickup-truck. It seems this combo affords the most versatility.

Mine was a BMW X5 hybrid, now my daughter's, I had to text my sister to ask what her sister in law drives, she has a Tesla, not a hybrid like I thought she drove, as does my Girlfriends mother, my sister drives a Toyota rav4 hybrid.
Driven Tesla's a few times, they are just a car, nothing great, but I can't just whip into a gas station for a quick fill whenever I want to, and it would be terrible to own, because if it breaks down it would be on a tow truck 7 hours to the nearest service center. When I bought my X5 I drove many of them, liked it the most of the ones I test drove, so I bought it to give it a try. While I don't hate it, sure nothing special about it either. My daughter would much rather drive my car than her X5. I can see a time coming in say 25 years or so when they may build better batteries, have figured out all the rest of the stuff, like how to charge them from 5% to 100% in 5 minutes, solved other glitches, and beefed up the power grid to handle the extra load, when they become truly viable vehicles...for now they are a niche market vehicle, basically using consumers to do the R&D for them. At least I live where we have cheap electricity and lots of it, from hydro dams, not burning coal to produce electricity, to power a car.

Here is the fundamental disconnect. You start every day with a full "tank" when you have an EV. You keep assuming you only fill when needed. That is ICE mentality.
With an EV; your only concern is how often you in a single day exceed the range of the vehicle.

Tim

Here is the fundamental disconnect. You start every day with a full "tank" when you have an EV. You keep assuming you only fill when needed. That is ICE mentality.
With an EV; your only concern is how often you in a single day exceed the range of the vehicle.

Tim

I get it, that isn't the issue at all.
Why plug in every day though, when if just driving locally its easier to stop once a week or less for gas. My daughter is 19, so should be the prime age for an ev, and she is like "meh". It's so easy to stop once a week and add a little bit of gas, she plugs it in sometimes, if she feels like it, and her hands are not full. Heat in the cool season such as now uses so much power that it just wants to start the gas engine anyway...same for AC in summer when the sun is blazingly hot. I am genuinely glad for you Tim that you love your ev so much! But we are all different people, thankfully, or else there would only be one kind of plane and they would all be blue, one type of car and all painted black, and one big city of nearly 8 billion, and no other place on earth would have any population.

Why plug in every day though, when if just driving locally its easier to stop once a week or less for gas. My daughter is 19, so should be the prime age for an ev, and she is like "meh". It's so easy to stop once a week and add a little bit of gas, she plugs it in sometimes, if she feels like it, and her hands are not full. Heat in the cool season such as now uses so much power that it just wants to start the gas engine anyway...same for AC in summer when the sun is blazingly hot. I am genuinely glad for you Tim that you love your ev so much! But we are all different people, thankfully, or else there would only be one kind of plane and they would all be blue, one type of car and all painted black, and one big city of nearly 8 billion, and no other place on earth would have any population.

People don't generally plug in the X5 because there is no real added convenience. The battery is so tiny that you're virtually guaranteed to switch to the gasoline motor on almost every trip. So if you have to anyway stop for gas frequently, you may as well just always do that.

That's very different than being able to go many months or years without ever having to fill or charge elsewhere.

It’s not about looks it’s a elitist virtue status symbol, now that the Prius has been around long enough that the maid has one, with enough used pirus out there that they can been seen being driven by teens, it’s just not posh, thus the tesla, nothing says I’m still richer and “greener” than the poors like a tesla.
Hogwash.

If Apple were to come out tomorrow saying their phones now come with a battery that lasts a week or two, but thereafter you have to go to your local 7/11 to recharge it for 5 minutes, we'd all think they lost it and it would become the most shorted stock in history.

But somehow when a car follows the same model, it's held up as the pinnacle of convenience.
I don't follow your reasoning.

I charge my phone at home almost exclusively but occasionally I use it more heavily than usual and have to go find an outlet in a public place to do a midday recharge. It's the same with an electric car*: recharge it at home nightly but a few times a year I'd have to find an outlet in a public place to do a midday recharge.

*This is if I actually had an e-car. My car has both a gas tank and a clutch pedal and it'll probably stay that way for as long as I can manage it. However, I don't presume that my preferences should be foisted onto other people nor that what works well for me works well for everyone else.

I don't follow your reasoning.

I charge my phone at home almost exclusively but occasionally I use it more heavily than usual and have to go find an outlet in a public place to do a midday recharge. It's the same with an electric car*: recharge it at home nightly but a few times a year I'd have to find an outlet in a public place to do a midday recharge.

I’m not following where we are in disagreement :)

For a phone everybody thinks charging at home is great and having to (theoretically) travel somewhere regularly to recharge it would be a burden.

For a car people think that charging at home is a burden, but going to wait in line at Costco for 30 mins to refill the car is great.

If Apple were to come out tomorrow saying their phones now come with a battery that lasts a week or two, but thereafter you have to go to your local 7/11 to recharge it for 5 minutes, we'd all think they lost it and it would become the most shorted stock in history.

But somehow when a car follows the same model, it's held up as the pinnacle of convenience.

What we really need is an iPhone powered by gasoline that runs a full week. :)

For a phone everybody thinks charging at home is great and having to (theoretically) travel somewhere regularly to recharge it would be a burden.

For a car people think that charging at home is a burden, but going to wait in line at Costco for 30 mins to refill the car is great.

Pretty sure no one said waiting 30 minutes was great. In fact I specifically stated the opposite.

For a phone everybody thinks charging at home is great
No disagreement, except the pain is how often in needs to be recharged

and having to (theoretically) travel somewhere regularly to recharge it would be a burden.
Nobody ever has to drive somewhere to charge their phone. They may have to recharge their phone, while they are not home, but that is usually only a tiny burden, unless you aren't prepared.

For a car people think that charging at home is a burden,
I don't think I have heard that complaint to often.

but going to wait in line at Costco for 30 mins to refill the car is great.
I rarely go someplace to fill up my ICE car. I generally fill it up while I am out and near filling station. But the complaint is that it takes 5 minutes to pump a tank full of gas and at least a half hour to load a partial charge to an EV.

That said, I think people point out tiny little inconveniences of an EV as if they are show-stoppers and take obscure situations that most people will rarely encounter as an indication that the care is worthless.

I've never waited for gas more than 1 minute in my life for a vehicle. Usually just pull right up to the pumps. Now for avgas, I have had to wait.

If your cell battery dies, no biggie, you aren't stranded out on some desolate road in the middle of nowhere.

LOL. The Model S was a statement car when it was introduced. Something expensive and virtuous to take to the country club.

Then Tesla lost its way by trying to convert from a limited production luxury product to the "a-Tesla-in-every-garage" Model 3. But that backfired economically, and the financial proof of that is it simply could not make a $35k Model 3 without losing money - so for the longest time it just didn't make any.

The cybertrk is coming full circle to another "look-at-me" statement vehicle. And there won't be a single one sold for $39.9k, you can bet on that.

That said, I think people point out tiny little inconveniences of an EV as if they are show-stoppers and take obscure situations that most people will rarely encounter as an indication that the care is worthless.
That's why I usually just sit back and watch these e-car threads with amusement (sometimes temptation gets the better of me).

Imagine if we were debating shoes instead of cars:
"Cowboy boots suck. Everybody should just wear running shoes because they're better/faster/lighter/cheaper."
"Running shoes won't work for me because they don't protect my feet like steel-toe boots."
"Steel-toe boots don't work on the soccer field."
...ad infinitum

Tim

Point taken.
I've been watching this debate on this thread, and it seems to center around the range difference.

I co-founded and run three related companies in the USA and Canada in the alternate fuels business; compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquified natural gas (LNG). Currently we don't have anything to do with vehicles of any sort on public roads (see closing paragraph below). But one of our partners in the USA is also a long time manufacturer of automated CNG dispensers and builds/operates CNG filling stations for commercial customers, and another one of my partners used to work for the world's largest manufacturer of composite carbon fiber CNG commercial vehicle cylinders.

The current EV range limitations parallel the CNG alternate fuel world. The energy density compared to gasoline or diesel limits the range of a CNG vehicle. Adding more fuel capacity requires more high pressure tanks, which takes up more space and uses up payload, so there's always a compromise. Similar to adding more batteries and weight to gain range for an EV.

The most successful applications of range limited alternate fuel CNG or LNG vehicles are "return-to-base" installations. Package delivery, waste hauling, school buses, transit fleets, taxi operations...anywhere the vehicle is starting and ending up at the same place each day, and working a predictable route or confined to a regional radius within the vehicle's range before needing to be refilled. At the end of the shift, or day, the vehicle ends up back at the depot yard, gets a fill hose plugged into it and automatically refilled for the next shift.

Seems to me the no-brainer EV applications are rather similar - a predictable home-work-home commute circuit, or a series of daily tasks within the confines of one's home-centered urban radius, return to base at the end of the day and plug in to automatically "refill it for the next shift". And I have to believe that type of use is the core of the current EV purchasing cohort, because it makes so much sense (as long as one can overcome the current purchase premium).

The transcontinental Supercharger network is more marketing (the Tesla equivalent of the Cirrus parachute - it's there if you need it?) than meeting an actual urgent real world demand for owners to drive across the country. They can do it, but how many really will.

Coming back to vehicles, our LNG business has been actively involved in testing this alternate fuel for mine haul trucks. These trucks use enormous amounts of diesel fuel. But because they work on a predictable circuit, in a non-public and confined area, they are at the forefront of truly autonomous vehicle technology. This was a simpler problem to solve at a mine than the infinitely more complex one Tesla is trying to do on public roads with its Autopilot. Rio Tinto has been operating fully autonomous trucks at one of its Australian mines for a decade, and they have a remarkable zero accident rate. These trucks are enormously expensive, run continuously around the clock at the mine site and spend less than 10 minutes idle every 12 hours being refueled with diesel. The cost of having the truck idle is material, and that's been one of the challenges with the LNG refueling equipment engineering - to minimize refueling time while hitting the exact fuel spec into the vehicle tank. However, just one of the advantages of the LNG conversion is the downtime for oil and filter changes is lengthened considerably.

Last edited:
No EV for me. The economics did not make sense when I bought my Subaru in 2015. Now my next vehicle is very likely to be an EV.
The problem is the car. The BMW X5 battery is for marketing not use.

My older brother has his EV heat/cool while plugged into the house. So when you walk out to the car, it is very nice and comfortable. No waiting for the ICE to warm up or the A/C to overcome the heat.

There is no effort to plug in the car. And if that is such a big deal, get one of the less efficient cordless ones. Drive over the mat and it starts charging. No plug needed.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Point taken.
I've been watching this debate on this thread, and it seems to center around the range difference.

I co-founded and run three related companies in the USA and Canada in the alternate fuels business; compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquified natural gas (LNG). Currently we don't have anything to do with vehicles of any sort on public roads (see closing paragraph below). But one of our partners in the USA is also a long time manufacturer of automated CNG dispensers and builds/operates CNG filling stations for commercial customers, and another one of my partners used to work for the world's largest manufacturer of composite carbon fiber CNG commercial vehicle cylinders.

The current EV range limitations parallel the CNG alternate fuel world. The energy density compared to gasoline or diesel limits the range of a CNG vehicle. Adding more fuel capacity requires more high pressure tanks, which takes up more space and uses up payload, so there's always a compromise. Similar to adding more batteries and weight to gain range for an EV.

The most successful applications of range limited alternate fuel CNG or LNG vehicles are "return-to-base" installations. Package delivery, waste hauling, school buses, transit fleets, taxi operations...anywhere the vehicle is starting and ending up at the same place each day, and working a predictable route or confined to a regional radius within the vehicle's range before needing to be refilled. At the end of the shift, or day, the vehicle ends up back at the depot yard, gets a fill hose plugged into it and automatically refilled for the next shift.

Seems to me the no-brainer EV applications are rather similar - a predictable home-work-home commute circuit, or a series of daily tasks within the confines of one's home-centered urban radius, return to base at the end of the day and plug in to automatically "refill it for the next shift". And I have to believe that type of use is the core of the current EV purchasing cohort, because it makes so much sense (as long as one can overcome the current purchase premium).

The transcontinental Supercharger network is more marketing (the Tesla equivalent of the Cirrus parachute - it's there if you need it?) than meeting an actual urgent real world demand for owners to drive across the country. They can do it, but how many really will.

Coming back to vehicles, our LNG business has been actively involved in testing this alternate fuel for mine haul trucks. These trucks use enormous amounts of diesel fuel. But because they work on a predictable circuit, in a non-public and confined area, they are at the forefront of truly autonomous vehicle technology. This was a simpler problem to solve at a mine than the infinitely more complex one Tesla is trying to do on public roads with its Autopilot. Rio Tinto has been operating fully autonomous trucks at one of its Australian mines for a decade, and they have a remarkable zero accident rate. These trucks are enormously expensive, run continuously around the clock at the mine site and spend less than 10 minutes idle every 12 hours being refueled with diesel. The cost of having the truck idle is material, and that's been one of the challenges with the LNG refueling equipment engineering - to minimize refueling time while hitting the exact fuel spec into the vehicle tank. However, just one of the advantages of the LNG conversion is the downtime for oil and filter changes is lengthened considerably.

Had a friend 30+ years ago running his pump/utility truck on lng before the masses even thought of it. He had nothing but good things to say about it, although it kinda stunk when running.

Point taken.

This is some good insight. My desire for an electric vehicle is mainly based on the commuting situation that you mentioned. I think I drive further than 120 miles round trip maybe once a year from home.

As an aside, I remember Alcan having everyone, company wide, watch a rather graphic movie. They had (probably still do, as part of Rio Tinto), enormous fork lift trucks as large as a house with correspondingly large blind spots. Someone didn't watch where they were walking and got under the wheels of one of those fork lifts while it was carrying an enormous roll of aluminum sheet. The graphic part was showing how flat the person was afterwards. The rule was pedestrians yield to vehicles, and I imagine more so with those autonomous trucks that you mentioned.

I solved this by having a garage.
Not really, it prevents the car from baking in the summer but it really does not pre-cool the car down when the temp is 95+.
Same for winter; my drive into town today, the tiny engine was unable to produce heat in the cabin until I was halfway into the city.

Tim

So let me get this straight, recharging an EV while hanging out with hipsters for 45 minutes is acceptable, sophisticated, and refined. But spending 3 to 5 minutes throwing gas in a car is primitive? What have you been smoking?

When I had the i3 (BEV) and was using it to commute to a client in Illinois once a week, I would stop at a fast charger on the way home while I grabbed dinner. Other than that, I have never spent a single minute waiting for a car to charge, certainly not "while hanging with hipsters".

I spend a LOT more time putting gas in my Volt than charging it, and with my 75-mile-per-day round trip commute, I'm about half and half gas and electric miles these days.

I figure that if I still had my last gasser, I would be spending about 9 hours a year filling it up with gas. Since I pretty much never drive far enough that I would need to charge a Tesla, that means I would spend zero time on that. Life is completely different when your house is also your filling station.

Why plug in every day though, when if just driving locally its easier to stop once a week or less for gas. Heat in the cool season such as now uses so much power that it just wants to start the gas engine anyway...same for AC in summer when the sun is blazingly hot.

Hmmm. BMW must have done a terrible job on it! :( I plug in my Volt every day because I use the whole battery every day (plus about a gallon of gas). But, I can also have the cabin pre-warmed/cooled using the power from the house, which is nice.

What we really need is an iPhone powered by gasoline that runs a full week. :)

Not really, [a garage] prevents the car from baking in the summer but it really does not pre-cool the car down when the temp is 95+.
Same for winter; my drive into town today, the tiny engine was unable to produce heat in the cabin until I was halfway into the city.
I suppose that would depend on how much you spend on the garage, wouldn't it?

Not really, it prevents the car from baking in the summer but it really does not pre-cool the car down when the temp is 95+.

Tim
Yes really. When the garage is concrete block, attached to the house, only has two exoosed walls, and has an insulated floor above that is climate controlled it absolutely does every single time. Even if 95 outside the garage is never above 75. Get a new garage.

Its. Not. A. Mustang.
Well... since the Mustang is a product of the Ford Motor Company, I guess that means they get to say what is, and is not, a Mustang.

I heard the same thing in 1974. And again in ‘79, and in ‘94... and people probably said it in ‘71, too.

Yes really. When the garage is concrete block, attached to the house, only has two exoosed walls, and has an insulated floor above that is climate controlled it absolutely does every single time. Even if 95 outside the garage is never above 75. Get a new garage.
That is more expensive than my car.

Tim

Tim
This is why remote start exists. I can start either of my vehicles from an app or from the key FOB. 10 minutes before I want to leave and it's the perfect temperature by the time I get in.

This is why remote start exists. I can start either of my vehicles from an app or from the key FOB. 10 minutes before I want to leave and it's the perfect temperature by the time I get in.
Remote start in a garage?
If you leave the car outside for the remote start it takes longer then 10 minutes to cool it down to 70 in the peak of summer and a lot longer to remove the 6 in of snow in winter.

Tim

If you leave the car outside for the remote start it takes longer then 10 minutes to cool it down to 70 in the peak of summer and a lot longer to remove the 6 in of snow in winter.

Tim

Point conceded. Though our cars do cool down in 10 minutes in the peak of WI summer.

My older brother has his EV heat/cool while plugged into the house. So when you walk out to the car, it is very nice and comfortable. No waiting for the ICE to warm up or the A/C to overcome the heat.
I shudder to think what that would do to one's electric bill. I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in our house with CFL, then replaced the CFLs with LEDS to reduce our electricity use. Somehow I suspect switching to plug-in EVs would simply replace what we spend on gas (not a lot) with increased electricity use -- not to mention the premium paid for EVs to begin with.

I shudder to think what that would do to one's electric bill. I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in our house with CFL, then replaced the CFLs with LEDS to reduce our electricity use. Somehow I suspect switching to plug-in EVs would simply replace what we spend on gas (not a lot) with increased electricity use -- not to mention the premium paid for EVs to begin with.

You only use that feature a few minutes prior to going out to the car. If it’s already fully charged like in my Volt for instance, it’s still only pulling 12 amps to heat / cool. No different than if it was still charging. My monthly electric bill went up by approximately $25 after buying the Volt. That’s about 20 charges and 700 miles of range.

Last edited:

Tim

I do remote start in the garage, but my garage door opener is WiFi controlled as well. No issues there. Also, my vehicle don’t need to preheat or cool more than a minute or two when in the garage. The A/C has them cooled off quickly, and heated seats/heat are effective within a few minutes at most. I can’t say the EV gains any points there with me, other than the refuel at home part.

If you don't spend much on gas, then buying an EV to save on energy probably doesn't make sense. But if I buy an EV, it won't be to save energy, although I fully expect that to be a side benefit.

A friend of mine that commutes from a suburb of Atlanta to Downtown Atlanta every day was spending around $500/month on fuel for just one car (Diesel for his Mercedes). Now he plugs his Tesla in every day when he gets home and saves all that fuel and barely noticed a blip in his electric bill. Yes, there was a blip, and he already had a large bill, but it was not a big blip. And he actually ENJOYS his commute now, where he hated it before. Plus, it lets him use the express lanes.

Those same people probably consider themselves to have " Gone green", despite 24/7 heating or cooling a vehicle that is not being driven.
I guess once a week I should fill up a gas can, then take it home and pour it out on my driveway, so I to can be earth friendly and join the green movement.

Attached garage. I would expect my house to cost more than your car.
My garage is attached. But it is not part on the HVAC.
No garage I have had between four homes has had HVAC. It was an option on one for an extra 20k (including insulation).

Tim

My garage attached to the house has no AC, but a few small electric heaters for winter time. I have yet to turn them on except for a 5 minute test run this summer mostly to burn the smelly stuff off any new heaters, while the doors were open. They worked, so should be good to go when its cold enough to need them.

If you don't spend much on gas, then buying an EV to save on energy probably doesn't make sense. But if I buy an EV, it won't be to save energy, although I fully expect that to be a side benefit.

A friend of mine that commutes from a suburb of Atlanta to Downtown Atlanta every day was spending around $500/month on fuel for just one car (Diesel for his Mercedes). Now he plugs his Tesla in every day when he gets home and saves all that fuel and barely noticed a blip in his electric bill. Yes, there was a blip, and he already had a large bill, but it was not a big blip. And he actually ENJOYS his commute now, where he hated it before. Plus, it lets him use the express lanes.
If your only requirements fall well withing the EV parameters, then great - it can make sense for you. For the rest of us, though...

I have the proverbial garage with the attached house. And unlike most of my neighbors, I actually keep cars inside it!

If your only requirements fall well withing the EV parameters, then great - it can make sense for you. For the rest of us, though...

As EV range inexorably increases, for the most part “the rest of us” will gradually be pulled into EV’s.

There is an EV range number that will finally “click” for most drivers. 200 miles? 300? 500? 750?

300 to 500 would meet 99% of our needs. For the other 1%, we’d keep our Clarity with its 42 mpg highway numbers as a hybrid for trips where we’d rather not worry about charging.

Back