Must Visit Airports

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
Suppose you won an aviation give-away that provided you a Piper Cherokee/Warrior or Cessna 172 for a month or 50 hours whichever comes first. You also get $2500 for 100LL AvGas and $7500 for lodging, food and sight seeing. You are limited to flying within the contiguous 48 states and you are not allowed to use class "B" or "C" airports. Your boss has also given you a one month leave of absence so you can take advantage of your good fortune.

During your one month cross-country, which airports would be on the top of your list to visit and why? (aviation museum, camping, sightseeing, food, refueling, etc)

Sedona Airport.

Because this:

800px-Sedona_airport.jpg

Jackson Hole.......

Attachments

• 2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 92
Just about any airport I haven't already visited.

One of the airports near the Salton Sea where you can land below sea level.

Tullahoma, Beech Museum
Bar Harbor, Me, just because
Rockland, Me, Owls Head Transportation Museum, lots of very very old airplanes in flyable condition
Santa Rosa, NM, Route 66 airport, the runway is part of original Rt 66
Katana, Mass... On an islan, walk to the beach

Death Valley, CA can do that too, Furnace Creek airport, -210MSL

When I was departing there (no AWOS) I set the field elevation into the altimeter.

It looks different than you'd think. Analog gauges don't work so well for negative numbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which month? If the wintertime, there is that runway on the ice in a lake in New England somewhere. Someone will come along in a minute and tell us the actual name.

Which month? If the wintertime, there is that runway on the ice in a lake in New England somewhere. Someone will come along in a minute and tell us the actual name.

Alton Bay, Alton NH, south end of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Shelter Cove (0Q5)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 62
Los Alamos, NM. The runways are one way regardless of the winds. :eek: :yes:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAM

This is a fun one to land on. To your left by a few feet is Restricted air space and there is a very large building at the beginning on RWY 27. It is below the runway but it gives the appearance on landings and takeoffs that you will hit the roof.

I did Miegs a couple of years before it was destroyed because I figured it wasn't long for this world. I always wanted to do DCA (in fact, the controllers invited us to come over there after 10 any time) so I could complete the DC TRI-AREA Trifecta, but I didn't get around to doing so before the post-9/11 security theatre made it impossible. I've been based at both BWI and IAD over the years though.

I've done FFA a couple of times. Tangier is a neat place if you've not been there.

Kind of on my airport bucket list:

Catalina Island
Key West (I've landed there as a passenger in a twin otter, but I'd love to fly it myself some time)
Mackinac Island (and perhaps PutIn Bay on the way back).

While I don't want to land there, I want to overfly 41XS so I can report that I was "over it" to ATC.

Came here to say Leadville. Cool airport, awesome flight up the valley from the south.

First Flight Airport, where it all began, is a must.

Wittman Field during Airventure, Oshkosh, WI, is a must.

Meigs Field (God rest it's soul) was a must.

Mustang Beach Airport (RAS), Port Aransas, TX, is a must. As you can see from this pic, precision is rewarded. It's one of the prettiest flights in America.

e46b99bde630f5bc7173b56f15d7f424.jpg

Came here to say Leadville. Cool airport, awesome flight up the valley from the south.

I've flown a Warrior in 8500 DA, and it was, to say the least, a wheezing dog.

No way I'd want to do that in 12,000+. You could probably make the landing with some ridge lift assist, but the takeoff would be problematic.

A 172 is slightly better, but that's awfully close to the service ceiling.

Catalina is doable. So is Half Moon Bay (easily). Even South Lake Tahoe if you take off on 36 (no obstacles and flat terrain for 30+ miles). All of these are very nice flights. Half Moon Bay has unusually good food.

Last edited:
A 172 is slightly better, but that's awfully close to the service ceiling.
Plenty of people do it, I've known many. Haven't myself (have in a 182, it's a non event really) but a cool day and proper mtn flying technique is all it takes.

Plenty of people do it, I've known many. Haven't myself (have in a 182, it's a non event really) but a cool day and proper mtn flying technique is all it takes.
11,000 is the highest I've ever taken my Cardinal, mid-spring-ish so probably about the same DA, and it was not a good performer up there. I'm not anxious to see if I could get out of Leadville.

High on my list would be 6Y9 and the newly-opened strip on N. Fox Island. After that, probably somewhere in AK, Fairbanks maybe.

(But frankly I don't need to win an airplane to visit 6Y9, I just need to be FREE at the right time.)

I'd consider trying it with a 172N converted to 180 HP loaded very lightly, on a cool day. Not a 172SP. Those are fricken' heavy.

I haven't been to Leadville, but I'd understood there isn't all that much terrain around it.

A 182 would work nicely, especially the older lighter models.

11,000 is the highest I've ever taken my Cardinal, mid-spring-ish so probably about the same DA, and it was not a good performer up there. I'm not anxious to see if I could get out of Leadville.
right now, this minute the DA at LXV is 8600. We're enjoying a high pressure over CO.

Last edited:
I'd consider trying it with a 172N converted to 180 HP loaded very lightly, on a cool day. Not a 172SP. Those are fricken' heavy.

I haven't been to Leadville, but I'd understood there isn't all that much terrain around it.

A 182 would work nicely, especially the older lighter models.

I figured it went without saying not in a 160hp model. I wouldn't say it worked nicely but it's mostly a non event in a 182. It's a big valley and there's a lot of room to maneuver and look for some lift.
I don't find it all that pretty but that's just me.

find one of the CPA guys that teaches the mountain flying class, they go into worse fields to get into in 180hp + models, they can teach you how it's done pretty easily.

Leadville in a Warrior/172 :yikes: it better be a cold day.

When I was at Leadville with the Tiger, I spoke to the CFI based there, a very nice woman. She instructs out of Leadville in a 150 HP C-172.

When I was at Leadville with the Tiger, I spoke to the CFI based there, a very nice woman. She instructs out of Leadville in a 150 HP C-172.
I've talked to her briefly, not about flying just in passing. She's always around assuming it's the same older lady.

parked our ratty old 182 next to a beautiful old A model, polished with some paint. Just gorgeous.

Last edited:
Back