Must Visit Airports

High on my list would be 6Y9 and the newly-opened strip on N. Fox Island. After that, probably somewhere in AK, Fairbanks maybe.

(But frankly I don't need to win an airplane to visit 6Y9, I just need to be FREE at the right time.)

If you're going to Alaska, Firbanks is cool... But take a look at Talketna, (Mt Denali), and Seward. Lake Hood in Anchorage does have a short paved/gravel runway, a neat place to spend an evening walking around. Homer is interesting if you go out on the fishing spit of land.

My next trip gets Seward, Nome and maybe King Salmon added to the list.

First Flight Airport, where it all began, is a must.

Wittman Field during Airventure, Oshkosh, WI, is a must.

Meigs Field (God rest it's soul) was a must.

Mustang Beach Airport (RAS), Port Aransas, TX, is a must. As you can see from this pic, precision is rewarded. It's one of the prettiest flights in America.

e46b99bde630f5bc7173b56f15d7f424.jpg

Nice airport.. Expensive houses?

The ones in the photo run from $400k to a little over $1M, which is higher end for the Corpus Christi area.
That subdivision (and the airport itself) was developed by Pug Piper (yep, that Pug Piper) and other investors. It was originally a private strip, and the hangars (or the right to build one) came when you bought in.

Then, the entire development went bankrupt, several times. After one such episode the airport was spun off, and is now a public use municipal airport.

The housing development is now called "Island Moorings". It's a nice place, if you're into that sort of thing. (I'm not a big fan of gated communities.)

The airport is just a fantastic gem to visit. Worth every effort to get here, and we have a courtesy car for you to use. :)

If you're going to Alaska, Firbanks is cool... But take a look at Talketna, (Mt Denali), and Seward. Lake Hood in Anchorage does have a short paved/gravel runway, a neat place to spend an evening walking around. Homer is interesting if you go out on the fishing spit of land.

Thanks but my chances of ever being able to afford a GA trip to Alaska are slim to none. At least in the foreseeable future. Unless I win the lottery or something.

(But frankly I don't need to win an airplane to visit 6Y9, I just need to be FREE at the right time.)

That is my problem in a nutshell. I have a nice little airplane that I have refurbished including a freshly overhauled engine. All I have left in my restoration is the paint job. The problem for me is having the TIME to travel. One of my dreams after I finish the two year consulting project I am currently working on is to take off at least a month and just fly around the country with out having a definite schedule to adhere to. I want to create a list of neat airports to visit (hence the reason I started this thread) but be flexible enough to adjust my cross countries to take best advantage of weather. I just want to take it day-by-day and adjust as I go and see what all I can take in over a few weeks time.

Cedar key
Sedona
Page, Az
Death Valley Furnace Creek
Oceanside

Or any airport with an interesting mix of pilots, planes, and cafes.

Cedar key
Sedona
Page, Az
Death Valley Furnace Creek
Oceanside

Or any airport with an interesting mix of pilots, planes, and cafes.

Yup.... Cedar Key is a kool place to visit...:yes:

That subdivision (and the airport itself) was developed by Pug Piper (yep, that Pug Piper) and other investors. It was originally a private strip, and the hangars (or the right to build one) came when you bought in.

Then, the entire development went bankrupt, several times. After one such episode the airport was spun off, and is now a public use municipal airport.

The housing development is now called "Island Moorings". It's a nice place, if you're into that sort of thing. (I'm not a big fan of gated communities.)

The airport is just a fantastic gem to visit. Worth every effort to get here, and we have a courtesy car for you to use. :)

I've flown from Las Vegas to Maine and back, Alaska and back, planning to Key West and back, I've got Amelia's Landing down as a stop over. Just need to pick which summer to go. I've got another Alaska trip on the planning table too.

Everything mentioned here. Along with Dauphin Island, epic looking airport. To those who mentioned Cedar Key, it's a must I've done it a few times before as its a short flight away. I'd love to do a flight from Leadville to Furnance Creek, highest airport in the U.S. to the Lowesr

Shawnee, OK (KSNL)!

:D

Not much to see or do here, but the terminal is nice and the restaurants are passable! And I'll leave the light on for you :lol:

Negative paved runways.

Sidnaw.

Twin Oaks (Diana's strip)

Gaston's

Turkey Moutain.

Shade Tree (Gulfport MS)

Moontown (Huntsville, AL)

Etc.

My favorite airport is off-airport.

Attachments

• photo-12.JPG
    photo-12.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
Another wonderful grass airstrip is 1WF, Waco Field, just north of Dayton. Wonderful people intent upon preserving the Waco name. Cool museum.

If you're going to Alaska, Firbanks is cool... But take a look at Talketna, (Mt Denali McKinley), and Seward. Lake Hood in Anchorage does have a short paved/gravel runway, a neat place to spend an evening walking around. Homer is interesting if you go out on the fishing spit of land.

Fixed.

Andover Aeroflex

I looked up Andover on the sectional. I am confused over the symbol used for the airport. I thought airports with runways over 8069' were depicted by this type symbol, but acording to the airport directory, it looks like Andover is around 2000'. See the attached screen capture from the sectional.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 46
I have attached a screen capture of the sectional legend. Can somebody explain the symbol used for Andover?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 38
I have attached a screen capture of the sectional legend. Can somebody explain the symbol used for Andover?

I am guessing since there is a grass runway next to the hard surfaced one the "multiple runway" clause comes into effect...

Cedar key,knew west,Everglades city ,most of the coastal airports of Florida.

I pretty much just did exactly this. Spent a bit more on fuel and a bit less on hotels, but landed at a ton of airports. IMHO MTH was prettier than Key West. Low approach at TTS was better than most of the actual landings, GED had the friendliest people, NEW had the funnest non-flying activities, 5B6 was the most challenging, and CNY had the most beautiful surroundings.

Also fun to see Catalina so high on so many peoples list since I get to do it often.

I pretty much just did exactly this. Spent a bit more on fuel and a bit less on hotels, but landed at a ton of airports. IMHO MTH was prettier than Key West. Low approach at TTS was better than most of the actual landings, GED had the friendliest people, NEW had the funnest non-flying activities, 5B6 was the most challenging, and CNY had the most beautiful surroundings.

Also fun to see Catalina so high on so many peoples list since I get to do it often.

It is a very fun destination. I flew there several times when based at TOA. You can sometimes see whales below you in the channel on the way over. A real cool experience.

Cedar key,knew west,Everglades city ,most of the coastal airports of Florida.

KCDK is finally, and as we speak, getting some long needed work - lights that work ( not that night flights out of RWY 23 are a good idea), asphalt overlay, a windsock that's not tattered, etc.

We tripped across Andover Aeroplex a long time ago (I think it was just a bathroom stop) but it was cute. Had a neat little non-operational soda fountain in the terminal.

UT25 Monument Valley
Sedona

Back