Multi Engine time????

Paveslave53

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paveslave53
I have been kicking around the Idea of finding an old Seneca or B55 something not perfect but airworthy enough I can do an annual and fly it for some multi time. The issue is Insurance now is almost impossible to get without time in type. Is there anywhere that offers affordable Multi training or people splitting cost for time building? If not I might just have to go this route and buy one. I am an IA so that helps. The cost of aircraft is crazy right now but I figure If I can get 100 hours in it I might be more marketable as a lower time pilot to start somewhere. I thought about getting something nicer and getting a MEI rating and doing training for people but who knows the cost of insurance for that. And….. I hear unless you do the training all the time that its a bit dangerous because your always pulling engines back in a light twin and I live at high DA 5,000 is standard day. Just was told it’s something if your going to deliver that training specifically its a lot more work to stay up on it.

What kind of job are you trying to get? You might not need that much multi time to be marketable. How much do you have already?

320 tt 30 hours turbine time, I have been to 208EX initial and recurrent training At flight safety. 0 multi time.

I hired on at a 135 charter company earlier this year with 1450TT and 16 multi. I now have about 200 multi, half in a King Air 90 and the other half in a Citation II. Going to PIC training in February.

I personally wouldn’t pay for a bunch of multi time. If you like flying buses, airlines will take you with 25 hrs multi.

In the 135 world everyone these days wants Argus minimums (3000tt pic and 1000tt sic). After that its time in type. Get that TT up.

Climb to 350 has a nice job board maybe you could find a twin photography job. I think Jav Imagery in Utah was looking for an Aztec pilot revently.

Not sure what kind of flying you want to do but you could always get hired at airline with 25 multi hours, fly for a year to year and a half and get 1000 hours multi turbine, then quit to pursue 135.

Theres a flight school in Chickasha, Oklahoma that rents a piper apache at $225 an hour. I did my MEI with them so feel free to reach out with any questions.

I have my own airplane so if I don’t get a job as a CFI or start a ME school I will just try to fly 40 hours a week and basically make that my job until I find something. Nevada is not great for aviation, unless I can score a 208 job flying Grand Canyon tours or something.

Nothing says you have to have insurance. Just saying:) Of course you’d need to pay cash for the airplane, or get a loan on something else to cover the cost. Buy something cheap and cheap to operate. Use your IA skills, fly it for 6mo, and then sell for a profit. Hopefully the profit will be enough to cover you out of pocket.

My initial instructor rating was a MEI. It allowed me to log multi time right out of the gate. I had a MEI and nothing else until I got the SEL add on, and later the CFII add on. Another reason I went this route was because the flight school who had agreed to hire me was short on MEI’s. I found myself in strong demand as a MEI almost immediately. Also made a premium rate as a rookie instructor. The add ons came easy after teaching multi engine. The only downside was the initial multi cost.

Have you seen those multi's with an engine in front and in back? Could you just fly that with the front engine on and it counts as multi but only using one engine of fuel / mx / etc. ;)

Some of us twin drivers entertain dry leases. I'd hit the bushes at your local airport and see who might be into that. Not sure swapping for IA labor would work, but it's worth a try? :)

Have you seen those multi's with an engine in front and in back? Could you just fly that with the front engine on and it counts as multi but only using one engine of fuel / mx / etc. ;)
Straight line trust time though, I assume your talking about a 337?

Some of us twin drivers entertain dry leases. I'd hit the bushes at your local airport and see who might be into that. Not sure swapping for IA labor would work, but it's worth a try? :)
My dad used to have leased airplanes for customers it seemed most of them were using it to report losses for the year. My idea is to maybe just buy a Seneca and train out of it if I can make sure there is enough people looking for twin time.

Back