MS20470DD "Ice box" Rivets

NordicDave

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
NordicDave
Just curious.... does anyone use Icebox rivets any more? Seems like an interesting idea when having to drive a large rivet.

MS20470D - Aluminum alloy, 2017-T or DD - Aluminum alloy, 2024-T composition don't seem very common. Interesting process to cook the rivet to 935º then quench it in water, then have about 15-20 minutes to work the rivet or refrigerate it to keep them soft for up to 2 weeks or so for later work.

There were a few threads on Van's Airforce about home builder using icebox rivets given they are so much easier to buck.

If not needed it’s a fair amount of extra work.

“Dry Ice” in a cup works well to keep soft during the installation process.

Just assure there is sufficient ice in the cup for coffee breaks.

Forgetting to do so provides the opportunity to drill out cracked rivets though!

Haven’t seen any used since about 1987, when I was doing a repair that the structures guys required them.

does anyone use Icebox rivets any more? Seems like an interesting idea when having to drive a large rivet
You'll still see them used on rare occassions for specific repair work but not on production work. However the rivet prep process is a bit more precise than stated to achieve the proper result.

My recall is they were somewhat more sensitive to proper installation.

A hard hitting gun or pneumatic squeezer is desired.

Multiple lighter hits will “ work- harden” the rivet and result in cracking.

My experience with these was with a “ sorta spy plane”.

The Inspector would check every rivet with a 10x glass.

A good team will minimize the issue.

Thanks everyone for the insights on ice box rivets. I heard someone mention them the other day and peaked my curiosity.

Back