Movies worth watching during the lockdown....

I quit TV, and have turn to Videos, (Youtube)

I quit TV, and have turn to Videos, (Youtube)
There are quite a few movies on Youtube. I keep forgetting that’s an option.

I was just scanning Youtube and came across a movie I saw several years ago: “Coriolanus”.

It’s different, so not everyone will like it. It’s a Shakespeare play that’s set in modern day. An Army general in charge of putting down an insurrection does his job a little too well and needs to be removed. A lot of “the enemy of my enemy is my friend”. The urban combat scenes are brutal.

The language is original, so it can be hard to follow, and that’s why this isn’t for everyone.

I'v been these guys. and several others
watch
This guys restoration is amazing.

A couple minutes ago I finished watching part 2 of the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 on ESPN. 2 parts, 2 hrs each. I thought it was a great look behind the scenes. That’s one complex situation when you add in the Livestrong foundation.

Check it out. There will be two versions, one will be edited for language.

Recently watched a movie I'd never heard of..."Dream House" with a fairly young Daniel Craig as the lead. Found it in a $1.99 bargain bin of blurays in some drug store somewhere a year or so ago and forgot about it...never even opened it until last week. It was VERY good.. kind of Hitchockian. A welcome surprise.

Not a movie, but watched a few episodes of Green Acres.

I had forgotten how funny that show was.

I binged “Waco” (Netflix) today.

6 parts, about 50 min each. There were a lot of things about that event that I had forgotten. It’s what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...and could have been avoided.

Recently watched a movie I'd never heard of..."Dream House" with a fairly young Daniel Craig as the lead. Found it in a $1.99 bargain bin of blurays in some drug store somewhere a year or so ago and forgot about it...never even opened it until last week. It was VERY good.. kind of Hitchockian. A welcome surprise.

I watched that on Netflix after it caught my eye seeing Naomi Watts listed. I liked the movie though the ending was a bit weak. Apparently reception at the box office was poor, but it seems most of the complaints were due to the trailers giving away some of the plot twists.

Sometimes the worst movies have the coolest songs. This is a music video from the movie "Knockoff." Not one of Jean Claude Van Damme's best movies, but entertaining, and worth watching in its own way. Cool song though.

The other night we watched Uncut Gems.

I was telling a buddy about it: You remember that frantic 10 minute scene in Goodfellas when Henry is running around picking up coke, dropping off guns, cooking dinner, picking up his brother, and running from the police helicopters? Now imagine that 10 minute scene going on for 2 hours.

Last edited:
Saw "21 Bridges" last night.VERY good. Refreshing in many ways.

All 20 in the Marvel collection.
Hamilton.
Orphan Black
Star Trek Picard.

Just finished “A Perfect Getaway”.

(2009) I don’t remember ever hearing about this movie. Pretty good action, adventure, who are the REAL bad guys kind of flick. And it has helicopters.

''Deadly Mile High Club''

Worst. aviation. movie. ever.....

Apparently if you cut a single red 12-14 gauge wire under the cowling of a Stearman, then the plane will go out of control after 20 minutes in flight and the pilot will panic and freeze on the stick, crashing into the ground as prospective student pilots watch.

For those of you of a certain age and taste in humor, I just finished a six part series on Monty Python’s Flying Circus. Great interviews with John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam and Graham Chapman (recorded before his death and this series)

Parts of many sketches and their movies, including the Norwegian Blue, Holy Grail, the Lumberjack Song and the Twit Competition.

On Netflix. I found it funny and interesting.

Cheers

Last edited:
Just got done watching The Outpost on Amazon Prime. Good movie and based on a true story.

Last edited:
I saw Hamilton last night. Does that count as a movie?

We got halfway through it last night, agreed we'd have to finish it later in the weekend. We started it too late to get through all 2:40 in one sitting.
I'm still puzzling over how it isn't considered cultural appropriation, though.

Watched Knives Out on Amazon the other day. Highly recommend. Also saw Devil last week on HBO, liked that too.

That movie was filmed in Lawrence, KS. I remember driving around town checking out some of the locations and watching them film a few scenes. I skipped around that video, there's a scene at 1:03:00 that lasts about 20 or so seconds. I was behind the camera for that one. Within a day that street was cleaned up, the store fronts were all repainted, and everything was back to normal. All the store fronts had false front windows built. The glass was broken, and the background was painted flat black to make it look like the inside of the store was burned out. All that for 20 seconds of screen time.

Another big scene, at 1:56:15, was filmed inside Allen Fieldhouse. The indoor track is long since gone, but the rest of that old barn hasn't changed much at all. It's still the greatest place in the country to watch a college basketball game. I drove past the fieldhouse just after they filmed that scene. All the extras were walking out and heading back into town, they looked like the Walking Dead.

It's funny watching movies like that. You recognize some of the extras, and you also know all the filming locations. So you get to say, "Hey! There's <whoever>!", and "Hey! That don't make no sense! He was walking the wrong direction to get from there to here!"

I'm going to watch The African Queen tomorrow.

I love that movie but my favorite Bogey film is To Have and Have Not. First film they did together. Great chemistry between them and great lines too.

"Have you ever been stung by a dead bee?"

"Go ahead , walk clear around. Find anything?" "No Steve, there are no strings on you... YET!"

"You know how to whistle, don't you Steve? You just put you lips together and... Blow"

I saw a really good movie recently called Knight and Day with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. It was really funny.images.jpeg

I was watching the film with my now ex-wife and a couple other people when a particular scene caused me to laugh uncontrollably. The others just stared at me like I had gone stupid.

I don't remember the exact sequence, but I'll try. It occurred after missile launches by the US and USSR. The exhaust trails arced into the sky as a US airman that worked in a silo jumped into a pickup and drove away like a madman, trying to escape what he knew was coming.

The cameras switched between a shot of the man's terrified face to a pullback that pictured the billowing dust clouds as the pickup roared down a dirt road. Suddenly the truck's engine died, the man slammed on the brakes, and when the truck stopped, he bailed out and made a mad dash into the surrounding woods.

That's when I started laughing my a** off, and no one else in the room understood what had just happened. You see, the airman knew the truck had died because a Soviet missile had just detonated nearby, and he had just seconds to find shelter before he was barbequed.

How did he know that a missile had just detonated? The electromagnetic pulse caused by the blast had instantly caused his truck's ignition system to shut off.

if you want to.

Personally, I did not really enjoy it, say a 4 out of 10. I’ve never been able to follow rapid fire words in rap, so I was lost for a while and that impacted the over all enjoyment. I think the recording suffered from audio problems too, sometimes words were not intelligible. Some characters, I never even knew their names. The concept was good, I think they got the history basically right, and it’s a good story to begin with. Unfortunately the most memorable bits are the comic relief from the king or where they got minor history points wrong.

Dive Bomber - Not too bad. Story is a bit hokey, but Fred MacMurray and Errol Flynn do a decent job. Flying scenes are fair at best.
A tribute to bad aeronautical decision making...

I assume everyone has already seen "It's a mad mad mad mad world". Or at least the Beech 18 going through a billboard...
An amazing number of big name stars in the movie - even some of the old silent film stars.

And, of course, Dr Strangelove...

Airplane! was on TV the other day. Just had to watch it again.
Also caught what I consider one of my top ten favorite films: Moonstruck. Hard to believe it's been over 20 years since that one came out.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind was also on the other day. Caught about the last half. Margy can't stand it watching movies with me. I popped in during the middle saying "I used to be a scientist before I became a bad actor. I know what that number is."

One's I'd like to see again that I've thought about recently:

Airport (the original one, the sequels by and large suck).
My Favorite Year (loosely based on Mel Brooks job working for Sid Caeser)

Hamilton is a great show, if you like musicals. It's even OK history. The Founding Fathers, very impressive guys overall.

My wife worked with a woman whose niece was the Mrs Hamilton character. Nice girl, I've met her a couple of times. Her career is skyrocketing these days: TV shows, movies with Angelina Jolie, etc..

Saw Dr. Sleep on HBO, highly recommend. Saw Midway as well, can't recommend overly much.

For those interested in aerospace themes, consider:

The Martian (2015)
Hidden Figures (2016)
Apollo 13 (1995)

For the last two, some of us remember the actual times they happened...

Despite the Russian language, it's a pretty good movie. Nice filmography.

The new Tom Hanks movie looks interesting

Back