Movies worth watching during the lockdown....

Outbreak. Good helicopter scenes.

Trollhunter. I was going to put it under comedies but it's really a documentary.

Nauga,
and goats on ropes

Trollhunter. I was going to put it under comedies but it's really a documentary.

Nauga,
and goats on ropes
If this is the Norwegian one - very funny!!! Loved the part about the camera man and being Christian.

The funnier, stranger, and very watchable again, and again.... even better if it is a cult classic....

I'll start with Big Trouble in Little China

I don't know if this was the first ever "lipstick" scene but damn was it funny. My daughter was about 7 when we watched it together. I still remember her belly laughing at that bit.

Ford v Ferrari
John Wick
Pirates of the Caribbean (all)

I watched all of season 1 of Picard. It was good. I thought "The Mandalorian" moved a little quicker though; not as much down time in between action happening. Still, both were good and worth watching.

Then I started watching Star Trek: Discovery (cbs all access or whatever it's called). Wow. I am not that far into the series, but dang. I don't want to spoil it, but it's not what I expected. It's back when the federation is still at war with the Klingons. When it first starts; we get to know the ladies in charge, with the captain drawing that thing in the sand (which was super cheesy and unrealistic), and I thought I saw that show coming a mile away. I figured all would go great; and we'd see how capable they are at rocking their starships. Nosir. Things go off the rails, and I just love that they do. I like that it was unpredictable, at least to me.

I can't say how it will play out over the course of multiple seasons, since I'm early days still... but so far I like it.

I watched all of season 1 of Picard. It was good. I thought "The Mandalorian" moved a little quicker though; not as much down time in between action happening. Still, both were good and worth watching.

Good stuff, for sure!

Then I started watching Star Trek: Discovery (cbs all access or whatever it's called). Wow. I am not that far into the series, but dang. I don't want to spoil it, but it's not what I expected. It's back when the federation is still at war with the Klingons. When it first starts; we get to know the ladies in charge, with the captain drawing that thing in the sand (which was super cheesy and unrealistic), and I thought I saw that show coming a mile away. I figured all would go great; and we'd see how capable they are at rocking their starships. Nosir. Things go off the rails, and I just love that they do. I like that it was unpredictable, at least to me.

I can't say how it will play out over the course of multiple seasons, since I'm early days still... but so far I like it.
It's definitely not your father's Star Trek!

Pick any end of the world virus killing everyone movie

The Doberman Gang and The Daring Dobermans.

Watch them with a Dobe you love.

Name of the Rose. Murders in a 14th century Italian monastery. Rational skeptic monk Sean Connery is on the case. Is it the work of the devil? Divine retribution on a sinful world? Or something more mundane, yet with theological overtones?

The director was a perfectionist regarding historical accuracy. One of the supporting actors had his 20th century dental work removed, and his teeth blackened. He a plays a religious mystic, gets off some adlibs with Connery that are pretty funny.

I started looking back through my Netflix history for a few that I could recommend (my tastes generally don't match up well for recommendations like this). Here are a few:

I, Tonya -- the Tonya/Nancy story as you have never seen it.

Molly's Game -- I watched it without any idea what it was about, and it's really a good movie.

Leave No Trace -- a well written, well acted story about a family (dad & daughter). Would even be OK to watch with older kids.

Isle of Dogs -- animated, and a good yarn. And it has one of the great airplane crash scenes of all time.

Inside Man -- a good action-with-a-twist bank robbery movie.

“Extraction” (Netflix original)

Chris Helmsworth gets the call to rescue a kidnapped kid. Kid is son to one drug lord and grabbed by another. Lots of gun fu in a target rich environment. I can’t figure out how a garden rake ended up in an apartment, but the good guy uses it with extreme prejudice.

Body count is tremendous. Check it out.

edit:

Here's the trailer:

Last edited:
Since it's an aviation forum, I'll throw out a few recommendations for aviation related movies:

"Cloud Dancer" (1980)

I saw a review of this movie in Flying Magazine in 1980 when it was released as a B movie. Basically the review said "it's a great movie if you only watch it when airplane engines are running."

I saw it four years later as a VHS rental and I found that review to be spot on. It's got a hokey plot with a lot of flaws, and some less than Oscar worthy acting but the aerial sequences are superb and there are cameos from a number of well known aerobatic pilots.

"Always" (1989)

It's a remake of "A Guy Named Joe" but moved about 45 years forward in time and set in the context of fighting forest fires where rather than flying places and bombung them until they burn, they instead fly to places that are already burning and bomb them until they go out. It's got decent acting, an ok plot, leather jackets, an A-26, a PBY, Skymaster, and a Citabria, so what's not to like.

"A Guy Named Joe" (1943)

The original version of the above movie, with B-25s and Spencer Tracy. It's a good movie to watch before or after you watch "Always".

"The Great Waldo Pepper" (1975)

It's a great movie about the barnstorming era and the transition from WWI to the Air Commerce Act. It uses period correct aircraft including a Standard biplane and some JN-4s (and in a slight deviation from period correctness with some De Havilland Tiger Moths modified to look like JN-4s in some of the scenes).

"Airplane!" (1980)

It's a classic aviation parody comedy movie.

"Zero Hour" (1957)

If you watch "Airplane!", you need to watch Zero Hour, where the flashbacks and some of the characters were borrowed.

"The Blue Max" (1966)

It's a well done WWI movie. It has two Phalz D.IIIs, two Fokker DR.Is, three D.VIIs and a couple SE 5 replicas produced for the film. Other aircraft are portrayed by repainted Tiger Moths and SV.4 Stampe biplanes.

Last edited:

Fragmented. Fascinating movie with an unexpected ending. Well worth it. Not getting in to the details. Thumbs Up.

Safehouse. Just your standard crime shoot em up with mediocre acting. Thumbs Down.

The Keeper. The premise is that a high ranking police lieutenant imprisons a girl that was a crime victim. It's slow, almost to the point of agony. The ending is predictable. I'll leave it at that. TD.

Troubled Waters. A detective with psychic powers investigates the abduction of a little girl. Captivating, well paced, good acting, great ending. TU.

Black Fly. A dude moves in with his brother and brother's GF living on a small PNW island. Brother has a penchant for violence and gets in to it with the local bikers and blows away the dude that did his GF with a shotgun. Overall, it's way slow with like two action scenes. Acting is okay. TD.

Open Windows. Unwatchable. Everything happens through a video chat window. Borrrrriiiiiing. TD.

Evidence. A young foursome goes on a camping trip which is the basis for an amateur documentary film, and they are hunted down by a monster. Despite the amateurish DIY filmography format, it's actually fairly thrilling - up to the point of the end, where it turns in to a complete, total, zombie apocalypse bloodbath which is so laughable it's hard to be horrified. I'll go TU here with that caveat.

In my usual "No Redeeming Artistic Qualities Necessary" mode of movie selection, we recently watched "Hobbs and Shaw" and "Boodshot." Both were tons of fun and highly enjoyable. Subwoofers a must.

Outbreak. Good helicopter scenes.

I was working in Ferndale when Outbreak was being filmed. They pretty much re-did the whole downtown with facades. The hospital ER entrance was actually a drive through bank ATM.

Chatter. This one deserves special mention. The opening scene? A guy shows a laptop video to the NSA showing the ghostly abduction of his daughter and asks for help. This really has nothing to do at all with the central theme of the movie, which is a guy in LA video chatting with his wife in England, who starts to get harassed by a ghost in the new apartment, all the while a greasy little NSA agent is snooping in on their spicy video chat. There are a lot of random dots that have no seeming connection to one or the other, bad acting, and a truly WTF ending, as in how did we jump from here, and get there... TD.

I ordered 3 WWII movies from Amazon.

Flying Tigers - John Wayne flick. Sappy plot, fair acting, flying scenes mediocre.

Dive Bomber - Not too bad. Story is a bit hokey, but Fred MacMurray and Errol Flynn do a decent job. Flying scenes are fair at best.

Bombardier - Haven't watched it yet, maybe tonight.​

Truthfully, I've yet to see any WWII movies that compare to 12 O'Clock High and Command Decision. Both set a very high standard for both story line and acting. Air Force is decent, but not in the same league.

I also have a box of Sky King CDs so I can relive my first childhood while enjoying my second.

I have always enjoyed ''Strategic Air Command'' with Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson.

Last edited:
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Cat Ballou
Kismet (either the original 1944 film with Deitrich or the 1955 musical)

A few recent releases we enjoyed...

The Two Popes
Woman at War
Bombshell

And one that I really enjoy and that stands repeated viewings...

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I'm going to have to dig up a copy of: A Gathering of Eagles (1963)

p1894_v_v8_aa.jpg

Trivia:

There's a scene where the mains are playing cards, and an extra walks across the screen in the background. That extra ended up being my glider CFI. Turns out I even went to high school with his son back in the very late 70's.

''You're Bacon Me Crazy"

Spoiler alert: Typical Hallmark Channel story line. Girl has business but no love life. Meets man. Fall in love, have slight differences and go separate ways, realize mistake to split, man comes back....not much about bacon...

Just got done watching Rush on HBO. The Hunt/Lauda rivalry in Formula 1 racing. And a Ron Howard movie to boot.

A good documentary is "hitting the apex" its about moto gp covers the top 4-5 riders a few years back, narrated by brad pitt, good bike scenes, enough drama to be interesting. Even my wife got sucked into it when she walked by.

I'm going to watch The African Queen tomorrow.

Rose: ''Don't be worried, Mr. Allnut.''

Charlie: ''Oh, I ain't worried, miss. Gave myself up for dead back when we started.''

''By the authority vested in me by Kaiser Wilhelm II, I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution.''

One of my favorite movies.!!

''By the authority vested in me by Kaiser Wilhelm II, I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution.''

I wanted to use that quote in my wedding vows but I was overruled. :D

For a long time the African Queen (the actual boat) was on a trailer outside a hotel on Key Largo. Haven’t been there in a few years so I’m not sure whether she’s still there or not.

WestWorld (new one). I’m not a big sci fi fan but this stuff is great. Like the actual Mary Shelly Frankenstein book, which actually glossed over the actual bringing the creature to life part and focused on the consequences and responsibilities of having done so. WW is very similar. Haven’t seen any of Season 3 yet, though.

Helpful hint: cheat a little and look online for some timeline guidance. Because the “hosts” (robots) don’t physically age, plus a few other things that would be spoilers, it’s difficult to know where you are in the 35+-year timeline sometimes.

I’m on my third time through and still find things to ponder philosophically.

I’ll probably go back and re-watch the original Yul Brenner movie but won’t expect it to be quite so deep in just 2 hours.

Rose: ''Don't be worried, Mr. Allnut.''

Charlie: ''Oh, I ain't worried, miss. Gave myself up for dead back when we started.''

One of my favorite movies.!!

Those are great lines. I've always liked the expression on the German Captain's face when he spits out "Tor...pedos?"

I hadn't watched it in years, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again. In 2009, the movie was digitally scanned and remastered. The new version is great. The scenes shot in Africa pop with vibrant colors.

We decided on a Bogart double, and just finished watching Casablanca. What a great movie it is.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Hawmps, Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines, Top Gun, and Navy SEALS off the top of the head.

Back