Mountain Flying Training near BJC

koehn

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brad Koehn
I'm a flatland pilot heading to BJC in an M-20J to attend a conference in early May and am looking to get a day or half-day of Mountain Flying training in. A friend pointed me to the Colorado Pilot's Association page, and the one instructor in Golden whom I emailed hasn't responded.

Any recommendations from the group?

McAir or Western Air as noted above. Anyone know where John Bowman is nowadays? Edit - never mind - should always google first. John is at Journeys Aviation in Boulder - another recommendation if you're ok with "near" BJC, not "at" BJC.

I'm a flatland pilot heading to BJC in an M-20J to attend a conference in early May and am looking to get a day or half-day of Mountain Flying training in. A friend pointed me to the Colorado Pilot's Association page, and the one instructor in Golden whom I emailed hasn't responded.

Any recommendations from the group?
Check some of the others on the list. The folks listed on the CPA site are all well-qualified for your mountain instruction and most of them are independents not associated with a flight school.

John Bowman or Jer Eberhard. Jer's at FtCollins/Greeley area (north west side of the Front Range), can get to BJC without any problems. Bill Standerfer, also on the NW is one of the creators of the CPA ground school

John Bowman isn't teachig mountain flying anymore, unfortunately. I have heard excellent reports about Howard McClure at Western KBJC. And I really like the instructors at Rocky Mountain Flight School at KBJC, especially Tony Moreno. Flying with Allan Carlson in two weeks and excited for that.

Mountain flying is very cool and you are wise to take it seriously. Enjoy! Is your trip here an excuse for a Colorado POA dinner?

Thanks all! Made a connection with Jer Eberhard; looking forward to some high(er) altitude flying in a week!

I fly with Rocky Mountain Flight School out of KBJC and recommend just about any of the instructors there. Tony Moreno is a great guy with a great attitude and Peter Strutton knows just about anything there is to know about airplanes (just received his ATP a few months ago, currently flying King Airs part-time). Matt Beyer (my CFI) is an excellent instructor, but does have a full-time career so scheduling him might create a few challenges. Pat Blankenmeir at McAir Aviation is another great instructor. Really, you can't go wrong with any of the instructors at BJC (in my experience).

Thanks all! Made a connection with Jer Eberhard; looking forward to some high(er) altitude flying in a week!

Have fun, and by the way, his legal name is "Jer/", with the slash. If you have an extra half hour, he can tell ya why.

Back