Most important tip for new CFI's

falconkidding

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon Kidding
Whatever alcohol you have on your desk is usually the type of alcohol you will get from students. Pro tip if you want something new borrow a "seed bottle" of something else from another cfi. Bonus tip, leave the expensive stuff on your desk to inspire further purchases of the $$$ drinks.
zXZf7YV.jpg

CFI since '78, never received a gift from a student, let alone booze. Made a few friends though, and had fun.
I must be lucky. I get gift cards, military service patches, aviation themed gifts, and way too much alcohol. Probably about 1k in stuff this year. Checkrides seem to net 40 dollar gift cards. Solos usually alcohol or trinkets.

CFI since '78, never received a gift from a student, let alone booze. Made a few friends though, and had fun.

Guess none of your students like you. :)

I gave gifts to my CFI after my solo and after my checkride.

I was way too broke to buy my first instructor a gift.

Later instructors have gotten cards and notes and stuff and if I saw something they’d really like, I’ll happily drop it off as a gift anytime, but it’s not necessarily associated with a checkride or anything.

Examples: One was a Hoover fan so I picked up a DVD he didn’t have at OSH and dropped it by one day. Another likes guns and when I saw a special event in his home area I send his wife a secret note saying he’d love to go do this event... she was happy because he’s one of those nobody ever knows what to get him. Got a note later, “I heard you had something to do with that. That was FUN!” :)

I have recieved

Stop by for a drink, I been given more bottles than I will ever use.

Guess none of your students like you. :)

I gave gifts to my CFI after my solo and after my checkride.

Maybe so. But then I never have given any of my CFIs a gift either.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this the other day. What to give my instructor after I solo, and/or pass my checkride.

He's in his early 20s I think, and I don't know if he drinks, so was thinking of a Sporty's or Visa gift card or something like that.

Had a student who was GM of an upscale restaurant comp a dinner for my lady and I....that's about it. Got a $50 tip from a Part 135 customer, but that's not instructing.

Bob

Scotch people, it's sposed to be scotch!

When I’m paying someone more per hour than I make, I do not tip. I did however buy lunch at AVX when I went there with my CFI.

Now I did buy my rigger a bottle of booze when I had to pop my reserve but that is different and is actually customary.

Whatever happened to the gentle custom of discretely slipping a dime bag of California weed into the CFI’s flight bag?

Whatever happened to the gentle custom of discretely slipping a dime bag of California weed into the CFI’s flight bag?

Had a student do that to me, but it was grass, real grass. Couldn't get a high so I kept smokin' that chit until it was gone. Still no buzz. So, started into my private PBR reserve....

I kid I kid!

I had a couple female students offer me.... aaahhh..... things.

Back