Most amazing flight OF YOUR LIFE ??

rbhankins001

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Here's mine:

Back in 2006 I had chartered a turbine otter along with 3 others to take us up and land on Denali (highest mountain range in North America).

For 3 days we were on weather hold. Finally I get a call that if I can be there in 15 minutes I could go along with some people I never met before. So, I put down the fishing pole and burned rubber.

We flew out of Talkeetna. We got to make the full loop around and land on Ruth Glacier (IIRC) where Don Sheldon's cabin is located.

I videotaped the whole ride and was I surprised how rough a snow landing was on skis (as compared to float planes landing on water which have been pretty smooth).

When I use the term "breathtaking" I only use it in regards to this flight. I was in complete and total awe of the sights, as well as the pilot's ability for approx 2 hours.

It was, by far, the most incredible experience of my life (and it's fair to say I've lived a "colorful" and blessed one), let alone flying.

Oh and one final note: The clouds were closing up behind us, no other planes were able to make the full loop around the range for another week (including planes that took off 15 minutes behind us). It was pretty awesome when a smaller plane came in right behind us sliding all over the glacier, I wish I knew more about planes at the time . . .

So, what was the most amazing flight you've ever been on?

-Rob

Yup, me too - Talkeetna Air grand tour with glacier landing in DeHavilland Beaver. We'd been up there for a week flying around in our Maule and I hadn't yet even gotten so much as a glimpse of "The Mountain" My brother had been up there all summer and had already taken the tour which he said I had to do so we went up to Talkeetna but the weather was so crappy that they weren't even doing tours that day. When I say "weather" I'm talking about the separate weather that exists around the mountain - it was beautiful everywhere else.

Anyway we were going to be headed back down south the next day so that was my last chance and it didn't look like it was going to happen but as we took off to head back to Lake Hood the Maule started to make this weird rumbling noise so we turned back and landed to check things out. We couldn't find anything wrong, run-ups were good so we went up to circle the field and sure enough there it was again. Back down, tore the cowl off again and by now it's getting kind of late. A couple of local A&P's stopped as they drove by and helped us do compression and timing checks, looked at all the plugs, the mufflers - everything looked good but now its about 11 pm (though still light outside) so we call it a day, pick up a six-pack and a movie and get a room for the night.

The next morning I get up and it's crystal clear and WOW - there's the damn Mountain! I can see all of it. I left my brother with the Maule and got the shotgun seat on the next Beaver flight. I'll never regret doing that.

As for the Maule - turned out to be a chunk of the plastic gear to body fairing had broken out. A couple wraps of good ol' duct tape and we were on our way back to California.

Which BTW - there and back was also the greatest x-country of my life.

There have been so many, but 15 yrs of AF flying will do that.

I just completed a round robin trip from Southern Nevada to Alaska and back in a single engine Cessna. One stop at Homer on the Kenai Penisula, and yes a stop at Talkeetna on my way through Denali. I did not do the Glacier trip, I should have, but I was on my way from Homer to Fairbanks.

Flying along the Alaska-Canadian Highway was great, especially between Watson Lake, Whitehorse and into Alaska, and then the passes through Alaska.

One memorable one was my stop at Miegs Field before the idiot Mayor Daley destroyed it.

Gunning the brains out of a USAF weapons school grad in his F-15C while I was the brand newest guy in my squadron (him a Maj and me a lowly LTJG at the time no less) during a dissimilar BFM fight in Nellis. Have had plenty of cool and amazing flights before and since, but that one somehow has been one of the more memorable ones. First time I ever went to the boat was maybe the other. Your first cat shot is unforgettable. So is your first night cat shot off the #4 cat.......but that one isn't "awesome" or anything close to being cool.

My wife and I were in Talkeetna in August of 2003, with beautiful, clear weather. We bought seats in one of Talkeetna Air Taxi's ski-equipped C-185s for the tour around the glaciers and the south face of Denali. We didn't land on the glacier, but watched while other airplanes did.

We purposefully asked for the last flight of the day (about 7:30 PM) to get the best light for photography. Here's how it worked out:

Dsc00835.jpg

Dsc00838.jpg

Dsc00839.jpg

But the most amazing flight ...

In 1972 I was a 21-year-old flight instructor at a small school at Long Beach, CA. Bob, another CFI there, had a friend who was chief instructor at the local Flight Safety school. One day the friend came in to see Bob, and said he had to ferry a just-sold DC-3 from LGB to Medford, Oregon, and needed a co-pilot to be legal. Bob couldn't go because of his student schedule. Well, he asked, is there anybody else here who can go?

My schedule was clear, so I took the trip. Four hours First Officer time logged, and signed off by the CFI. It cost me airline fare back to LGB, but it was well worth it.

Somewhere over the Central Valley, with country music playing over the ADF, Ron announced he was going back to the lav. He got out of his seat and said, "If you lose an engine it takes a lot of rudder!" So for a few minutes, at least, I was all alone flying a DC-3.

My only regret is that I did not have a camera with me that day. I never had a photo of the airplane until I stumbled upon the photo below on the internet, taken at LGB just six weeks before my trip. (I contacted the photographer, who gave permission to post it noncommercially.)

dc-3_n1213m4.jpg

The airplane had in past years been an executive transport for Goodyear Tire. We flew it to Medford, where it was to be used for smokejumping. Apparently it later went to a salvage yard in Texas, where it was scrapped a few years ago.

Very cool!

I have been inspired to dig out my video etc. of Denali flying. It is not the best video but it is awesome. Felt like you could stick you arm out the side and smack the sides of some of the passes.

I love DC-3's. Real workhorses in AK/CA.

-Rob

I have everyone one of you whooped in this category.

First solo flight ever AFTER losing both feet and my right hand to gangrene was a crystal clear silky smooth night flight over Lincoln Nebraska. The transponder was broke and ATC allowed me to leave the pattern and orbit the city. It was perfect and I couldn't hardly believe I was a triple amputee flying after nearly dying.

:cheers:

After being a licensed pilot for 5 years I told everyone I was done flying when they cut my hand & feet off. I guess I'm a liar on that one.

Last edited:
Plane Driver - you win.

Way to go that is beyond impressive, sir.

First flight solo flight ever AFTER losing both feet and my right hand to gangrene was a crystal clear silky smooth night flight over Lincoln Nebraska. The transponder was broke and ATC allowed me to leave the pattern and orbit the city. It was perfect and I couldn't hardly believe I was a triple amputee flying after nearly dying.

After being a licensed pilot for 5 years I told everyone I was done flying when they cut my hand & feet off. I guess I'm a liar on that one.
Very cool story. :cheerswine:

Oops. That's not the whole story either. I also lost about 95% of hearing in my right ear and 50% of my left ear.

I struggled a bit with ATC communication for a while.

I'd like to think my most amazing flight is still ahead of me, but I've been happy to have flown regularly in two of the most beautiful regions in North America - Alaska and Southern Utah.

I think the best was taking my Dad for a spin up the glacier to the base of Denali - in my plane. Followed by my first long cross country after my private check ride from Page Arizona direct to LAS and then return to Bullfrog UT over Zion, Bryce, and the Escalante. Third -too many ties to mention. Though my last trip was a sublime journey at mostly 1000 agl from Fairbanks to northern BC.

First flight solo flight ever AFTER losing both feet and my right hand to gangrene was a crystal clear silky smooth night flight over Lincoln Nebraska. The transponder was broke and ATC allowed me to leave the pattern and orbit the city. It was perfect and I couldn't hardly believe I was a triple amputee flying after nearly dying.

Yes you do. How did the gangrene happen, if you don't mind me asking? That doesn't seem like a real common affliction so I'm guessing there is a story. Anyway, that is a motivating story!

Gunning the brains out of a USAF weapons school grad in his F-15C while I was the brand newest guy in my squadron (him a Maj and me a lowly LTJG at the time no less) during a dissimilar BFM fight in Nellis. Have had plenty of cool and amazing flights before and since, but that one somehow has been one of the more memorable ones. First time I ever went to the boat was maybe the other. Your first cat shot is unforgettable. So is your first night cat shot off the #4 cat.......but that one isn't "awesome" or anything close to being cool.

Major and Lieutenant JG? :confused:

There is a story behind it all. Ive written a book about with a coauthor.

Look for Modified Flight Plan in 2013

http://lisakovanda.com/content/modified-flight-plan

I remember that sorry on the local new Brian. What makes the story incredible is your personal determination, grace, and courage. Glad you are recovering well. If you ever need a right seater let me know. :yes:

I remember that sorry on the local new Brian. What makes the story incredible is your personal determination, grace, and courage. Glad you are recovering well. If you ever need a right seater let me know. :yes:

Will do. :)

mine was the day i asked my fiancee' to marry me, and she said yes

So far...Meteor Crater, The Painted Desert, Grand Canyon. Monument Valley and Glen Canyon.

I've flown to all the lower 48, flown out over the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Gulf, over Crater Lake, the Badlands, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, past Mt Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt Shasta, and none of them have been what I'd call amazing. Nice views? Sure. Amazing? No.

For me, it was riding along with Eric Tucker, son of Sean D Tucker of Team Oracle fame. We did a formation aerobatic flight with him, with me in the front seat of Eric's Extra 300L and Sean in his Pitts. This was leading up to the Jones Beach Air Show in NYC in 2008.

The one photo of both planes was shot by a friend in the media/camera plane. Freaking awesome. While I was told we only pulled 5G in the loop, it felt like a hell of a lot more and was an awesome introduction to aerobatics.

Attachments

• LAF_1382.JPG
    LAF_1382.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 11
  • LAF_1413.JPG
    LAF_1413.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 10
  • LAF_7207.JPG
    LAF_7207.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 12
  • LAF_1410.JPG
    LAF_1410.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 10
  • LAF_1572.JPG
    LAF_1572.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 12
  • LAF_7163.JPG
    LAF_7163.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 11
I've flown to all the lower 48, flown out over the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Gulf, over Crater Lake, the Badlands, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, past Mt Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt Shasta, and none of them have been what I'd call amazing. Nice views? Sure. Amazing? No.

Bummer :(

That kicks ass. Just sayin'...

1.1 hours in the back of an F16 trying not to puke my guts out. I doubt anything in my life will come close.

My favorite flight with me at the stick is an early morning summer flight from Ogden to Bozeman. Over Bear Lake, Jackson, the Tetons, Yellowstone and then up the Madison, Gallatin or Yellowstone rivers. I do this flight a few times a year and it's still my favorite.

What would be amazing?

Two Fam Flights in a F-14 with the Skipper of VF-124, Spook Yakeley including ACM and a trip to the boat.

Got my Tailhook Assoc card for that one. :D

Cheers

Last edited:
Something no one has ever experienced or seen before.

Hmmm. Pretty high bar.

Beginning north and west of Edmonton you can easily pretend you're seeing things no one else has seen, even if they have. Especially outside of May->September. You really need to make that trip before your plane sells.

Hmmm. Pretty high bar.

Beginning north and west of Edmonton you can easily pretend you're seeing things no one else has seen, even if they have. Especially outside of May->September. You really need to make that trip before your plane sells.

I'm thinking an adequately documented formation flight with extraterrestrials would be pretty amazing. Of course Ron would then come on here and chide me for it because the aliens weren't trained by the Navy or AYA in formation flying.

My kids grew up using small airplanes for transportation. But the first time I took my oldest son flying in a Lake Amphibian and chased alligators around Lake Monroe ... that was special.

It ain't the views; it ain't the airplanes. It's the way aviation enriches life.

I'm thinking an adequately documented formation flight with extraterrestrials would be pretty amazing. Of course Ron would then come on here and chide me for it because the aliens weren't trained by the Navy or AYA in formation flying.

If flying were boring to me I would give it up. No sense wasting my life being a cab driver with wings.

Flying over a few glaciers in Alaska last summer in a Husky on floats. The kindness of people in aviation overwhelms at at times - this trip cost me nothing besides an airline ticket. (pic heavy)

d201fc9b.jpg

e90e563f.jpg

766a9889.jpg

1bf66b63.jpg

098ef54f.jpg

15f79993.jpg

30d3d4a6.jpg

71c3106b.jpg

339e7876.jpg

Back