More journalism excellence: Belly flop landing at KLAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have expected more from such a respected, quality publication as the NYP!

"The plane’s propellers appeared to have received minor damage."

minor damage.png

Narrowly avoided belly flop

Wow I would hate to see what major damage to the props ,would look like.

I find it odd that all three gear collapsed... unless it was a very hard landing.

A twin of some flavor geared up at my 'drome - made the local news because a newschopper filmed it. A year or two later I saw it on my ramp. Those props were razor sharp after being ground down.

I watched a king air gear up one day. Looked really expensive.

I was in the pattern when a King Air declared for a landing on one engine. That is the extent of my King Air mishap stories.

I'd be willing to bet that, pro rata, reporters have far more opportunity to report on "stupid pilot tricks" than we pilots have opportunity to post "stupid reporter tricks."

But some people just can't avoid:

D7873479-EEC2-4AE4-99E9-295C44476D96.gif

When the truth is likely far closer to:

63F047AB-8245-433C-BA15-63E07D3FBC5A.png

Last edited:
A twin of some flavor geared up at my 'drome - made the local news because a newschopper filmed it. A year or two later I saw it on my ramp. Those props were razor sharp after being ground down.

Found the video and my pix:

and 3 years later it's on the ramp, you could shave with the edges on those blades:

DSCN2711.jpg DSCN2712.jpg DSCN2713.jpg

I just happened to be driving down I15 past LAS and decided to pop on live ATC right when this happened! Things got very busy very fast!

I "saved" a C210 from landing gear up when I worked in Quonset Point tower years ago.

When I was in Homer, AK we had a radio on in the hanger.

We heard a voice, "We called out the trucks, everyone Ok?"

A very, very strained voice.... "Yeah, I think everyone is Ok, but call an ambulance anyway."

The rescue truck roared by pouring more smoke than a departing 707 back in the 60s.

We ran out and looked to see a Navajo sitting on the runway sans landing gear.

7 passengers plus pilot. No injuries except to one persons pride.....

I am curious how this airplane flew after what appears to be a serious prop strike.

if the damage to the prop tips was equal there shouldn't be any imbalance from that and if the crankshaft didn't get bent too much might not have any vibration at all.

Why does it look like the prop was feathered on one side and still working on the other? Turbo props automatically feather the prop when they lose oil pressure, right? Apologies if these are stupid questions. Just a dumb single engine piston driver here.

Don't remember Henning's hour of need, fill in the blanks please..:rolleyes:

He had a C-310 for sale. Apparently it was not selling for his asking price.

Then one day he "forgot" to put the wheels down. No longer needed to sell since it then belonged to the insurance company.

I'm curious.... if a plane lands with the gear up in a field with beef cattle shouldn't that be a "cow flop" landing???? "Mooooo", asking for a friend.
14kz3rz5b3qeaqenkxvvdqr1aczet6z

Last edited:
Did the insurance company give you like a set of steak knives or anything

Nuthin', not even a tanks from the pilot. But I was doing my job so I didn't expect anything.

A very colorful, high volume poster in this space. Bellied in his 310 and quickly vanished from the aviation boards.
"Colorful"

That's an interesting descriptor for a pathological liar. :rolleyes::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back