Mooney vs Cirrus. I chose a Mooney.

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Mooney J or Ovation, (90's) depending on Hangar space and availability. I'm still a few years out but I am charting the course. I'm a few years from retirement and will be ready to purchase my labor of love. There is something about retracts that I can't get from a fixed gear. I'm excited for the process. Thank you POA for helping me make the decision.

I picked a Mooney because:

#1. They fly very well for an older airplane and is proven, (Under 2001)

#2. They sip fuel so I can travel to more places.

#3. Costs are very reasonable and I can handle any "Aww shucks" along the way.

There is a guy that I found on You Tube Mooney 201er he's been everywhere in a J check him out, very inspiring:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SoarBird134

Mooney J or Ovation, (90's) depending on Hangar space and availability.

That would depend on where you want to fly. Given a leg duration you are comfortable with, obviously the Ovation can you take you farther.

There is something about retracts that I can't get from a fixed gear.

I think that there's something satisfying about that thump that I feel after I hit the gear up switch. Of course, I find it counterbalanced by that feeling of doubt every time I hit the gear down switch wondering whether I'm going to get the green light. :)

I really like the Cirrus and their elegant appearance.

But - Mooney's seem to be much more of an aviatior's machine.I prefer their low and aggressive ramp presence. Even just siting there, they look as if they are just waiting to go fast.

And, as asicer said, there is something satisfying about the gear coming up and to feel the drag goeing away.

Plus - Mooney's don't have the stigma of primarily being flown by doctors and / or douchebags.... ;)

I really like Cirrus but love Mooneys! :)

But Mooneys have the tail on backwards! :eek::confused:

Ever look at the trailing edge of a P51 mustang or a modern aerobatic aircraft?

Everyone knows that Cessna style swept tail came from the marketing department.

The reason for the tail is aerodynamic. You want the trailing edge to go more not less vertical at higher angles of attack for more slow speed authority. It's a feature not a bug ;)

5c39cc90c3eb14202d75e14014f3d184.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever look at the trailing edge of a P51 mustang or a modern aerobatic aircraft?

Everyone knows that Cessna style swept tail came from the marketing department.

The reason for the tail is aerodynamic. You want the trailing edge to go more not less vertical at higher angles of attack for more slow speed authority. It's a feature not a bug ;)

5c39cc90c3eb14202d75e14014f3d184.jpg

:sigh: ....it was a joke.

Joke or no, I find not even half of Mooney pilots know that ;)

But - Mooney's seem to be much more of an aviatior's machine.I prefer their low and aggressive ramp presence. Even just siting there, they look as if they are just waiting to go fast.

And, as asicer said, there is something satisfying about the gear coming up and to feel the drag goeing away.

Plus - Mooney's don't have the stigma of primarily being flown by doctors and / or douchebags.... ;)

I fly a cirrus and I'm not a doctor. Hey, wait a minute... o_O

Mooney J or Ovation, (90's) depending on Hangar space and availability. I'm still a few years out but I am charting the course. I'm a few years from retirement and will be ready to purchase my labor of love. There is something about retracts that I can't get from a fixed gear. I'm excited for the process. Thank you POA for helping me make the decision.

I picked a Mooney because:

#1. They fly very well for an older airplane and is proven, (Under 2001)

#2. They sip fuel so I can travel to more places.

#3. Costs are very reasonable and I can handle any "Aww shucks" along the way.

There is a guy that I found on You Tube Mooney 201er he's been everywhere in a J check him out, very inspiring:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SoarBird134

Go Mooney!

Mike makes ridiculous flights in his M20-J because he has long distance tanks. Most of us are limited to ~5 hours; my longest leg so far was 4:40 into the wind, circumventing icing over WV, and I landed (happily!) with 1:15 in the tanks.

It's nice hearing and feeling the gear thump into the bottoms of the seats. She climbs much better with them tucked away, too.

Happy hunting! And Merry Christmas!!

Ha, just proves half us Mooney Pilots know each other...

I've taken the Ovation nonstop from MA to Orlando... very much traveling airplanes.

I've been a Mooney owner since 2000 and absolutely love Mooneys. They're incredible traveling machines. With helpful winds and aggressive leaning I can fly my Acclaim nonstop from Denver to almost anywhere in the Continental U.S. in just over half a day.

That would depend on where you want to fly. Given a leg duration you are comfortable with, obviously the Ovation can you take you farther.

I think that there's something satisfying about that thump that I feel after I hit the gear up switch. Of course, I find it counterbalanced by that feeling of doubt every time I hit the gear down switch wondering whether I'm going to get the green light. :)

It's really going to come down to the deal and if I can get hangar space. It's at a premium here in Florida

And, as asicer said, there is something satisfying about the gear coming up and to feel the drag going away.

I don't really concern myself with stigmas. Cirrus are wonderful airplanes but the overall outlay will be more. I could save that amount with the Mooney and fly more which is what I want the airplane for.

Go Mooney!

Mike makes ridiculous flights in his M20-J because he has long distance tanks. Most of us are limited to ~5 hours; my longest leg so far was 4:40 into the wind, circumventing icing over WV, and I landed (happily!) with 1:15 in the tanks.

It's nice hearing and feeling the gear thump into the bottoms of the seats. She climbs much better with them tucked away, too.

Happy hunting! And Merry Christmas!!

Thank you sir for all of your help! I will see you more on the mooney space side while I learn more about the J and Ovation. Do you know what kind of configuration Mike has?

True that. However, the only thing comparable is the RV-10. And you have to build it or trust the quality control of whoever did build it.

Hi Greg

I sold my MSE to a gent in Florida and replaced it with an RV7A. I never used the rear seats in my Mooney. The RV is about 15 knots faster than my MSE. The handling of the RV is superb. It is very responsive with the short wings. Very strong build and excellent aerobatics

I'll stop here bcs this is a Mooney forum and after owning three Mooneys I still feel like one of the family

Hi Greg

I sold my MSE to a gent in Florida and replaced it with an RV7A. I never used the rear seats in my Mooney. The RV is about 15 knots faster than my MSE. The handling of the RV is superb. It is very responsive with the short wings. Very strong build and excellent aerobatics

I'll stop here bcs this is a Mooney forum and after owning three Mooneys I still feel like one of the family

It all depends on flying mission, My wife and I, some luggage is all we are going to need.

Which Mooneys did you own? can you compare them from your experiences? what was the pros and cons?

I would love an RV if 2 passengers was ok for me (it isn't) and if I had the time to build it myself. They are great airplanes. But they aren't certified airplanes...

It all depends on flying mission, My wife and I, some luggage is all we are going to need.

Which Mooneys did you own? can you compare them from your experiences? what was the pros and cons?

I had an '82 231. A 1966 E Model and the 1995 MSE

The 231 was very smooth running but the turbo was a waste for me as I never flew in the flight levels. It had a long take off run and poor short filed performance. The E model had a 3 blade prop that was a "shaker". I put a lot of hours on it but got tired of the shaking engine prop combo. The screws would literally work themselves out of the doghouse baffling and other places.

The MSE was really clean. I got it after flying a T34 for years and to be honest it was a letdown handling wise. Obviously a solid plane but not responsive like the T34.

The RV is a solid professional build and paint. Great avionics. A joy to fly cross country as it has a lot of room. I'm 6'2" and it's actually comfortable. It's fast. Really easy to land and great short field performance.

The non certified thing is a good thing. I bought the plane with 170 hours TTAE. I had a thorough prepurchase by a VANS approved checkpilot mechanic with many builds under his belt.

It has a brand new Superior 0360 that is smooth. I put a PMAG electronic ignition and it uses auto plugs. Starts up is quick and absolutely smooth idle even at low rpm.

My mechanic restores T34s and is a Beech expert. His is impressed with the plane. He really disliked working in the Mooney because of the tight spaces and some other issues.

There landing gear are obviously non retract so no issues expense and failure issues with that.

Like I said, I could go on......

Rocket. If your gonna buy a Mooney, buy the Rocket.

I have 4 seats, never more than 2 people, but many cross country flights I used the back seats for luggage. If you plan on using the plane as transportation for vacations, definitely should get a 4 place plane.

I had an '82 231. A 1966 E Model and the 1995 MSE

The 231 was very smooth running but the turbo was a waste for me as I never flew in the flight levels. It had a long take off run and poor short filed performance. The E model had a 3 blade prop that was a "shaker". I put a lot of hours on it but got tired of the shaking engine prop combo. The screws would literally work themselves out of the doghouse baffling and other places.

The MSE was really clean. I got it after flying a T34 for years and to be honest it was a letdown handling wise. Obviously a solid plane but not responsive like the T34.

The RV is a solid professional build and paint. Great avionics. A joy to fly cross country as it has a lot of room. I'm 6'2" and it's actually comfortable. It's fast. Really easy to land and great short field performance.

The non certified thing is a good thing. I bought the plane with 170 hours TTAE. I had a thorough prepurchase by a VANS approved checkpilot mechanic with many builds under his belt.

It has a brand new Superior 0360 that is smooth. I put a PMAG electronic ignition and it uses auto plugs. Starts up is quick and absolutely smooth idle even at low rpm.

My mechanic restores T34s and is a Beech expert. His is impressed with the plane. He really disliked working in the Mooney because of the tight spaces and some other issues.

There landing gear are obviously non retract so no issues expense and failure issues with that.

Like I said, I could go on......

I would love to try it out but RV's don't fit my mission we would constantly be flying at gross.

I have 4 seats, never more than 2 people, but many cross country flights I used the back seats for luggage. If you plan on using the plane as transportation for vacations, definitely should get a 4 place plane.

+1

We were close to buying a RV-6, but ultimately bought the Mooney for the luggage space. With the Mooney we can now haul 2 folding bikes and some luggage.

Back