Mooney for new Pilot

Uniballer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Uniballer
I am looking to start my flight training soon and looking at getting a Mooney. it is the first plane that I flew about 25 years ago, any advise.

lots of people train from scratch in mooneys, also bonanzas, comanches, etc. So sure, you can do it. But at this stage you don't know what you don't know. Some other type might really float your boat vs the mooney. Why not rent for awhile, get familiar with the landscape and make some contacts who can get you some stick time in other models ?

It's definitely doable. The older ones offer a lot of bang for the buck.

I know the owner and I'm getting a great deal. I plan to use it to commute back and forth to college where I'm working on my Commercial Pilot

Just make sure you get a truly "Mooney knowledgeable" CFI. There is a lot of nonsense out there about Mooneys and it can cause grief. If your CFI applicant says the Mooney is "hot" and he is not talking about the appearance, look elsewhere.

There is a very good Mooney board out there, join and learn. I can't remember the name but it is free, and I think there is another that is not free.

I know the owner and I'm getting a great deal. I plan to use it to commute back and forth to college where I'm working on my Commercial Pilot

And where is this?

(Welcome to PoA!)

I almost went the Mooney route when I was learning. I think Mooney makes a great airplane. Just do it!

does anyone have any suggestions about maintenance or equipment

Maintenance at a good Mooney Service Center (like Don Maxwell at KGGG in Longview, TX).

Equipment: Need a bettter desscription of what you're asking for.

radios comm nav

Well, when I had my Mooney, if I'd loaned it to someone to commute back and forth to college, a Garmin GTN-750 would be a nice "Thank you!"
GTN750c.jpg

Obviously you are on a budget, I bought my first plane in college too so I understand. Assuming the panel is empty, first ask yourself why you need radios at all. If you do, then I'd say get a bare bones com (KY96 etc) and a portable GPS. Add a transponder only if you are commuting to someplace with a class B or C, lots of used KT76's out there. When i was just out of school i traded my ercoupe for a cherokee 180, added a modicum of radios, and flew it all over north america IFR (see attached picture)

People will try to convince you that you need a 5-figure investment in radios to fly. not even close. It just doesn't take much of anything in the panel to use an airplane for travel to most parts of the country. What the airplane already has might be more than adequate. Don't fix what isn't broken, there will no shortage of real problems to fix over time.

Attachments

• N7477W_2.JPG
    N7477W_2.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 57
Well, when I had my Mooney, if I'd loaned it to someone to commute back and forth to college, a Garmin GTN-750 would be a nice "Thank you!"
Heck... these days, a full load of fuel would be just a nice!

Its a 1968 M20 with the 200hp. its 48 airport to airport. but 1.5 to 2 hours by car

Its a 1968 M20 with the 200hp. its 48 airport to airport. but 1.5 to 2 hours by car
in that case you aren't going to save any time flying, probably lose some. At 165kts a 4 hour drive is my break-even with ground transport on each end of the flight. But if you want the plane and can afford it, then go for it. you don't have to try and rationalize it. Trust me, we all understand.

any corporate guys you can do odd jobs for in exchange for hangar space? When I was in school I parked my ercoupe under the wing of a king air for 3 years for "free".

Find a Mooney mechanic for a pre-buy, seriously check out Mooneyspace.com for details. Don't plan on spending money on the panel until after your cert. Have fun.

Last edited:
LanceF lives around Atlanta area, he might have some suggestions on Mooney maintenance.

You probably won't save much time unless you're right at the airport on both sides for that drive, but you might. No reason why you can't learn in a Mooney, but also keep in mind it might take more time to solo, etc. The radio stack should be plenty sufficient for VFR flight. You'll be driving some days.

M20E or F? E is faster but smaller interior. F is slower but bigger interior. Won't make much of a time difference.

Come to our EAA pancake breakfast tomorrow, and we can talk Mooneys all you want. Mine is a J model, but the differences to the one you are looking at aren't all that great.
We start serving at about 8.
It's at the Covington airport KCVC. The gate will be open. Look for all the cars or follow your nose to find the right hanger and come hungry.:D

As others have said get training from a CFI who knows Mooneys. Also as someone else has written if the instructor says you need to land a Mooney fast, find another CFI. 1.3xVso= 1.3xVso.
The CFI also needs to understand the stall/spin characteristics of the Mooney. No, the CFI does not need experience spinning a Mooney (they are not certified for spins so I'd steer clear of any CFI who has intentionally done so), just understand how they handle. They will lose quite a bit of altitude in a spin (up to 2000'), so any slow flight/stalls should be done well above the PTS minimum of 1500'. There have been a few fatal crashes where inexperienced CFIs had the student do slow flight at about 1500' in a Mooney.

There have been a few fatal crashes where inexperienced CFIs had the student do slow flight at about 1500' in a Mooney.
Can you document this? NTSB case file #s or something. I am not saying this isn't true, but there are all too many OWTs out there concerning Mooneys.

I will not be able to make it to this EAA meeting but hopefully I can make next months.

Come to our EAA pancake breakfast tomorrow, and we can talk Mooneys all you want. Mine is a J model, but the differences to the one you are looking at aren't all that great.
We start serving at about 8.
It's at the Covington airport KCVC. The gate will be open. Look for all the cars or follow your nose to find the right hanger and come hungry.:D

I still want to meet up but weather is supposed to be awful the whole weekend.

Yes I would be grateful to meet up and talk about yours and look around

I still want to meet up but weather is supposed to be awful the whole weekend.
RNAV RWY 28 has an LPV DA of 270'. I don't think it will be that bad. :D

Can you document this? NTSB case file #s or something. I am not saying this isn't true, but there are all too many OWTs out there concerning Mooneys.

Here is one:
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20070103X00005&ntsbno=CHI07FA048&akey=1

Last radar track was at 2500' MSL, or about 1500' AGL looking at the sectional.

This one was was probably about 2000' AGL:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20061027X01567&ntsbno=NYC07FA003&akey=1

This one it appears to have been about 1500' AGL:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20040803X01131&ntsbno=CHI04FA198&akey=1

There are more- some are older and don't list the maneuvering altitude so I did not include them. One need only enter the parameters (Mooney, VMC, fatal, maneuvering), and a bunch come up. Then search for those with 2 fatalities, then a CFI.

When I taught in Mooneys I made a point of knowing about the accidents where CFIs had been killed.

Last edited:
My CFI owns a mooney m20j and taught one student from 0 hours in a new bravo. His recommendation was to at least solo in something that is more of a trainer so you aren't beating up your new plane. Also the "pucks" make good landings feel stiff sometimes.

I rent a diamond da20 which is pretty slick and that will teach you to manage your descent/airspeed.

Here is one:
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20070103X00005&ntsbno=CHI07FA048&akey=1

Last radar track was at 2500' MSL, or about 1500' AGL looking at the sectional.

This one was was probably about 2000' AGL:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20061027X01567&ntsbno=NYC07FA003&akey=1

This one it appears to have been about 1500' AGL:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20040803X01131&ntsbno=CHI04FA198&akey=1

There are more- some are older and don't list the maneuvering altitude so I did not include them. One need only enter the parameters (Mooney, VMC, fatal, maneuvering), and a bunch come up. Then search for those with 2 fatalities, then a CFI.

When I taught in Mooneys I made a point of knowing about the accidents where CFIs had been killed.

How does a VMC effect an airplane with only one engine to start with?

Have you read through all the accident reports of CFIs killed in PA28s and C172?

Last edited:

Have you read through all the accident reports of CFIs killed in PA28s and C172?

He meant Visual Meteorological Conditions... ie conditions where one wouldn't expect loss of control due to inadvertent IMC with an untrained pilot.

Are you just dense or stupid? VMC as in visual conditions. Really Vmc as in minimum control airspeed???? Seriously?????

Yes, I have read through those as well. 172, however, CAN be spun in the utility category. Mooney POH (at least the Ovation one), has a warning that the Mooney can lose 2000' in a one turn spin. Having spun numerous airplanes, 2000' is quite a bit of altitude for a one turn spin.

lots of people train from scratch in mooneys, also bonanzas, comanches, etc. So sure, you can do it. But at this stage you don't know what you don't know. Some other type might really float your boat vs the mooney. Why not rent for awhile, get familiar with the landscape and make some contacts who can get you some stick time in other models ?
Exactly. If you buy that Mooney, start training, and then don't finish, buying and then selling that plane is going to drain $5-10K out of your pocket on top of the costs of ownership and flying the plane for a few months. If that's chump change to you, mighty fine, but if not, think about it carefully.

As for learning from scratch in a Mooney, no problem with the right instructor, but be prepared for more time to solo than most folks take in simpler planes and don't get discouraged if you don't solo in the 8-12 hours many people brag about (a totally pointless brag in any event).

I say go for the Mooney! But learn to make consistent good landings in a rental instead of beating up your landing gear. I bought my M20-C five weeks after my PPL checkride. Do get a knowledgeable mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection, and get a CFI with Mooney experience.

Mooneys are great economical airplanes that can slow down as necessary

I'm a CFI and like to consider myself a Mooney expert. I'm based out of Lubbock. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back