Money M10 cancelled, new design on the way

You lot may have scoffed at the 152 comment but who is making trainers these days? Two seat affordable trainers? Nearly indestructible trainers?
This kind of hidebound thinking is exactly what produced Skycatcher - an unnecessarily overbuilt, underperforming airplane with an obsolete, heavy lump-of-iron Contintental engine. In real life, a plastic-fantastic LSA is the best trainer and it's just as (in)destructible as a 150, as long as the design is solid. We have a local school that runs PP curriculum on a Remos GX, and it works great. There aren't any issues of students damaging the airplane except asymmetric wear on the mains.

40 amps to run a pressurization system on a small aircraft? You're kidding, right?

No, it's a stupid idea, not a stupid question. You think you can pressurize an aircraft with a 1000 watt hairdryer.

You don't know the difference between blowers designed for volume output and high static pressure.

This kind of hidebound thinking is exactly what produced Skycatcher - an unnecessarily overbuilt, underperforming airplane with an obsolete, heavy lump-of-iron Contintental engine. In real life, a plastic-fantastic LSA is the best trainer and it's just as (in)destructible as a 150, as long as the design is solid. We have a local school that runs PP curriculum on a Remos GX, and it works great. There aren't any issues of students damaging the airplane except asymmetric wear on the mains.
Well let's just see how those planes are doing 40 years later

You don't know the difference between blowers designed for volume output and high static pressure.
Yes, I do. You can't make either work in this application with 1000W.

You have to pressurize the volume in the time it takes to climb. You are not even close.

Wanna try again?

For over half a century the cabin design of small aircraft has been static. Wake it up.
THIS

The main reason Cirrus was so successful is they're really the only ones offering product that feels "new". Is Cirrus the best at everything, no, but are they the only ones offering a legitimate product that's not just a 50 year old design with a Garmin in it, yes! When my wife first sat in the SR20 the first thing she said was "wow, this feels so much more comfortable than the other planes, it feels like I'm in a car!" <- that perception is key

and as a whole the plane does not feel complex or daunting, yes the G1000 takes some time to learn, but to most non aviation folks it has a perception of safety through its modern and clean design

I have no data to back this up, but I feel like Cirrus attracts a lot of people new to aviation and new to money who don't to be sitting in a 40 year old frame, like someone else said they want something that feels like their Merc, Audi, or BMW, and Cirrus gives them that

The challenge for most manufacturers is there are a ton of used airplanes out there, many of them in the <$200K range that offer a very capable and well performing platform.. so if you want to sell any volume of new planes in the $500K to $1 mil range you need to cut into Cirrus sales... and that's a steep hill to climb if you want to keep your identity (ie, not just a copy of the 22) while still create a competing product

Well let's just see how those planes are doing 40 years later

Forty years from now? There will be no piston GA aviation. Everything will look like a hovering drone and run on electricity sourced from fusion reactors producing free electricity. These craft will recharge in flight wirelessly also. The rest of the traveling public will be happy to ride to and from a destination in a hyperloop traveling the speed of sound in a tube also powered by fusion plants.

Last edited:
Cirrus attracts a lot of people new to aviation and new to money who don't to be sitting in a 40 year old frame...

Most Cirrus SR22 and SR22T customers are middle-aged, upper-middle-class, have an average of 1000 hours or more in their logbooks, are instrument rated (many retired ATPs). Have flown and/or owned Cessnas, Pipers, Barons and yes, many ex Mooney drivers. And most of the SF50 customers in the queue have owned a succession of SR22 and SR22Ts and are happy to follow Cirrus on their upgrade path.

Why no reference to cabin class aircraft as having a "new car feel?" They are even more luxurious and far more expensive.

Cirrus has done a great job marketing their airplanes and the "Cirrus lifestyle". Just pick up one of their brochures. Awesome airplanes, but $900,000 awesome? Idk. Thing is the wealthy folk don't care what the price is anyways. They are too busy cutting costs and screwing their employees below them while they reap millions. Must be nice to be in the good ole boys club at the top ;)

Stereotype much?

Most of my clients are what most would consider "wealthy," and they treat their employees very well, indeed. Treating productive people badly means you lose them to better employers, and hiring and training new people costs a great deal more than paying good people well in the first place.

Spike, you forgot that if at all possible to be wealthy and NOT have to hire people who whine like the above, all the better. Haha. But even whiners are useful if they're making you a profit. LOL!

I know at least a few wealthy people who'd rather sell or otherwise shutter their businesses who keep them open simply out of a feeling of responsibility to their long-term staff. As long as the thing breaks even or better, it'll be allowed to run.

Of course, if the thing is break-even and the Government decides it needs more money, they'll close it in a heartbeat. A common theme is that people who regularly say businesses are "greedy" never seem to say the same about government, no matter what it does. They tell Government to take more, they do, and then complain the business they worked for was shuttered.

And there's always the stuff the competition does, too... of course. Sooner or later someone is going to figure out a better way to do something, or get a deal you can't compete with. Or the market will decide it can stay irrational longer than your business can remain solvent. :)

To really "not care" about the prices of things, there's a break point between "wealthy" and that. Probably up around $40M but I'd have to run the math. Essentially the math is "a number which when invested throws off enough income that even the most expensive stuff isn't a problem to pay cash for, without eroding the investment".

That number also depends heavily on your tastes for expensive things. See: Cheap Bastard. :)

You really don't know until you have a written budget, whether you can afford your particular tastes on your income level. Current studies show that somewhere lower than 10% of Americans have one or follow one.

Go find the old book "the millionaire next door". What they found was that in most cases the real wealthy didn't flaunt it. They drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee. They worked hard owned say a plumbing company and looked more like Warren Buffet lifestyle wise. And that more often than not the Mercedes driver was living paycheck to big paycheck and had leased the vehicle. Frugality was what drove wealth.

The point is looks can be deceiving... and I believe Cirrus pushes the financing options, which is smart for them to do.

The vehicle was actually the Ford F-150 in the book. The other key was that it was purchased for cash and was over ten years old. Often owned by the business. Turned a depreciating asset into a break even one or it made them money doing work. Obviously a Jeep Grand Cherokee could also do that for the right sort of business. ;-)

SOME Cirrus owners would certainly fall into the category of the machine allowing them to do things that make them money that without it, they'd find harder to do. But probably not a majority.

Financing is just a numbers game. Cirrus (or anyone else selling something that expensive) would be insane not to accept some bank's money and let the new "owner" rent the airplane from the bank and walk away with a check for the entire price.

And here we have the #CheapBastardsClub TM :)

So I bet we have some millionaires next door

In aviation, you'll run into a lot of them. One million isn't quite what it used to be when I was a kid.

Even a paid off mortgage will mean someone's net worth is pushing the underside of half a million, minimum maybe a quarter million, depending on location and size of said human-box.

Being a "millionaire" in retirement is only $100 of savings a month away, if you start when you start working.

But yeah, being a cheap "bastard" helps. It's mathematically impossible to accumulate money by spending it, after all. If you spend it all as I comes in, that $100 to be a "millionaire" isn't going to go into savings or investments.

Just looking at most small businesses that are successful, "millionaire" ain't much in hard assets when it comes to even a small business. Say you owned a tiny little three airplane flight school... you're looking at almost a quarter million in assets sitting on the ramp before you even count the rest of the business. All depreciating every hour that they're operating.

This is why most flight schools use leasebacks. The owner eats the losses if the owner doesn't negotiate the correct rental rate.

Forty years from now? There will be no piston GA aviation. Everything will look like a hovering drone and run on electricity sourced from fusion reactors producing free electricity. These craft will recharge in flight wirelessly also.

LOL. That was good for a laugh. ;-)

So I wander to the Mooney tent at Sun and Fun today and I spoke to a guy and a female who were employees who didn't really want to talk to anybody. So I asked them: "So Mooney scrapped the M10"? The guy got all arrogant saying "Oh that is what you heard from the media" I wanted to explain to him that his CEO mentioned that they are going to discontinue the M10 and show him references but I stopped talking to them and I spoke to another Mooney guy who was not a sales person and he was amazing. If Mooney wants to get back in the game and start selling airplanes you have to treat people with respect even if you think they are going to buy or not. That guy, (I don't remember his name) was in poor taste and I'm rooting for Mooney to make a comeback...I really hope they do but get better reps, people that are passionate about the product because people and customers will see it!

Most Cirrus SR22 and SR22T customers are middle-aged, upper-middle-class, have an average of 1000 hours or more in their logbooks, are instrument rated (many retired ATPs). Have flown and/or owned Cessnas, Pipers, Barons and yes, many ex Mooney drivers.
okay so I was wrong on a few accounts, but still, these pilots who "upgraded' from otherwise capable machines like Barons and Mooneys probably still wanted to step out of what was ultimately a 40-50 year old design

The guy got all arrogant
When I first started flying I found a lot of established flying folks had kind of an attitude. I know being a pilot is a cool and elite club that not many get to be a part of, but if we want GA to grow and thrive and keep our local airports open all aviation professionals should be weary of this...

For what it's worth (small plug here) but Plus One has been the first club that I've found in 15 years that is accepting and welcome to all levels of pilotage (from student to 1,000 hr plus pros)

When I first started flying I found a lot of established flying folks had kind of an attitude. I know being a pilot is a cool and elite club that not many get to be a part of, but if we want GA to grow and thrive and keep our local airports open all aviation professionals should be weary of this...

I agree totally, I like both Cirrus Aircraft and Mooney Airplanes. The Cirrus people at Sun and Fun were great and came up to me wanting to answer any questions I may have. I didn't have any at the time but that was a nice gesture compared to Mooney. (This is going to be a separate post).

So I wander to the Mooney tent at Sun and Fun today and I spoke to a guy and a female who were employees who didn't really want to talk to anybody. So I asked them: "So Mooney scrapped the M10"? The guy got all arrogant saying "Oh that is what you heard from the media" I wanted to explain to him that his CEO mentioned that they are going to discontinue the M10 and show him references but I stopped talking to them and I spoke to another Mooney guy who was not a sales person and he was amazing. If Mooney wants to get back in the game and start selling airplanes you have to treat people with respect even if you think they are going to buy or not. That guy, (I don't remember his name) was in poor taste and I'm rooting for Mooney to make a comeback...I really hope they do but get better reps, people that are passionate about the product because people and customers will see it!

It's hard to be passionate when you're not going to make quota and you haven't gotten a sales bonus in years and your boss just shelved the only new product the company had coming in a decade.

Just sayin'... :)

I can't really fault the poor dude. Sales is a rough way to make a living when you don't have anything to sell.

Would you want that job? Assuming it was a salesperson and not a marketing person due to staff size, of course.

Plus they know they don't make most of their sales at the air show dog and pony events. It's almost pure Marketing.

The surprising part would be that the CEO didn't prep the booth staff for what he was about to say. That's a sign of a big problem. Of course, maybe they didn't read the memo.

Nobody put a gun to the dude's head to sell low-volume piston airplanes for a living. Go sell cars or real estate, and fly for fun on your off time if you can't make the black line in aviation, like most POA contributors are forced to or choose to do. Hell, we literally have a car salesman who owns a turboprop on here, so what's this dude's excuse?

I have no sympathy for the "I'm gonna be a Ricardo at work because what they pay me doesn't buy my undivided attention" entitled whine. I see that crap all around me down here in de facto Mexico, and it's completely unsat. I used to work retail as a second job on top of grad school and my first job of lab teaching/lecturing/TA. I made a joke for money, but I didn't take it out on the customer or went on taking money from the register just because I was overqualified and taken labor-advantage of due to college student status.

Dude needs a gut check. Go do something else, don't take it out on the bystander.

It's hard to be passionate when you're not going to make quota and you haven't gotten a sales bonus in years and your boss just shelved the only new product the company had coming in a decade.

Just sayin'... :)

I can't really fault the poor dude. Sales is a rough way to make a living when you don't have anything to sell.

Would you want that job? Assuming it was a salesperson and not a marketing person due to staff size, of course.

Plus they know they don't make most of their sales at the air show dog and pony events. It's almost pure Marketing.

The surprising part would be that the CEO didn't prep the booth staff for what he was about to say. That's a sign of a big problem. Of course, maybe they didn't read the memo.

I respectfully disagree,
Maybe the reason why they're not making quota and haven't gotten a sales bonus in years is because of attitude? (Sales+bad attitude=NO SALES) Why would I want to deal with someone with a bad attitude and give them 800k+ of my hard earned money? If you're going to be at a job working XX amount of hours might as well do the best you can....why would you waste your time doing that? The Acclaim was for sale and it's an awesome bird, It's clearly among the best piston aircraft ever made.

Yeah? When you believe that....you get left behind:

20170409_141924.jpg

IMO, the biggest problem in Aviation today is that we are Dependent on an archaic infrastructure system. We need a VTOL capable bird, that can be kept in a driveway (that is not a helicopter). Unfortunately, technology is not there yet!

Forty years from now? There will be no piston GA aviation. Everything will look like a hovering drone and run on electricity...

I respectfully disagree,
Maybe the reason why they're not making quota and haven't gotten a sales bonus in years is because of attitude? (Sales+bad attitude=NO SALES) Why would I want to deal with someone with a bad attitude and give them 800k+ of my hard earned money? If you're going to be at a job working XX amount of hours might as well do the best you can....why would you waste your time doing that? The Acclaim was for sale and it's an awesome bird, It's clearly among the best piston aircraft ever made.

Yeah? When you believe that....you get left behind:

View attachment 52645
That picture is "salesman 101". Our Shriners club sells sauces and condiments at the local trade shows, craft sales etc. I enjoy those events from a sociology standpoint. We have rows and rows of bottles for sale, I take one or two out of the varieties on the table so it looks like they were purchased. Well, those are the ones that sell like hot cakes! One if the other guys has to always have them stocked full and he sells less than a third than when I am sitting there. It is a way for me to break up the monotony of selling condiments.

If you just paid a million for a plane would you want it to sit all week at an air show for the unwashed masses to touch, drool on, fart in the seat and have their kids rub snot all over it?

Last year at Oshkosh parked next to me was a very nice V-tail Bonanza owned by two doctors. Very nice guys who just happened to stop by the Cirrus tent to take a look. Their salesman latched on to these guys and they got the special treatment. A demo flight, invited to a party at night, special events, etc. by the end of the week the doctors were seriously considering a Cirrus. Cirrus knows how to sell airplanes!!! And to top it off, they have a very nice product that looks modern, has the parachute, and very comfy. Mooney needs to come up with something that can compete with a Cirrus. They have learned a lot in composite design from both the M10 and the composite shell of the Ultra. I don't know what they have in mind but an all composite 4-6 seater with retractable gear that goes faster than a Cirrus and has a chute it's a start, but they need a surprise or two more to really peak interest. The good thing is they have the Mooney brand which solid. They just need to deliver a solid design

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That picture is "salesman 101". Our Shriners club sells sauces and condiments at the local trade shows, craft sales etc. I enjoy those events from a sociology standpoint. We have rows and rows of bottles for sale, I take one or two out of the varieties on the table so it looks like they were purchased. Well, those are the ones that sell like hot cakes! One if the other guys has to always have them stocked full and he sells less than a third than when I am sitting there. It is a way for me to break up the monotony of selling condiments.

If you just paid a million for a plane would you want it to sit all week at an air show for the unwashed masses to touch, drool on, fart in the seat and have their kids rub snot all over it?

Nah, it was sold late this afternoon, the last few hours of Snf. If they wanted to do Salemen 101 they would've done that way before then. The salesmen that Cirrus has are "movers".

LOL! This.

We even have our own Cirrus buyer here posting photos of his being built. They don't take them to shows and stick signs on them, they're backordered.

It's not a car dealership where there's enough inventory to park a hundred of them while the dealer pays rent on them to sit there.

That's just the illusion the paper in the window creates.

Last year at Oshkosh parked next to me was a very nice V-tail Bonanza owned by two doctors. Very nice guys who just happened to stop by the Cirrus tent to take a look. Their salesman latched on to these guys and they got the special treatment. A demo flight, invited to a party at night, special events, etc. by the end of the week the doctors were seriously considering a Cirrus. Cirrus knows how to sell airplanes!!! And to top it off, they have a very nice product that looks modern, has the parachute, and very comfy. Mooney needs to come up with something that can compete with a Cirrus. They have learned a lot in composite design from both the M10 and the composite shell of the Ultra. I don't know what they have in mind but an all composite 4-6 seater with retractable gear that goes faster than a Cirrus and has a chute it's a start, but they need a surprise or two more to really peak interest. The good thing is they have the Mooney brand which solid. They just need to deliver a solid design

Sounds to me like the two doctors know how to deal with salesman. Got free flights, free drinks, free parties, free special events! Then turned around and flew their paid off airplane home faster that a new cirrus. And got a nice tax write off in the process!

I agree!

I believe Mooney has to come up with their own style and safety features instead of trying to copy Cirrus. Mooney is too good of a manufacturer to be a copycat. Keep the gear...please! :)

Cirrus sold 320 aircraft in 2016 or 35% of all piston singles.
Mooney sold 7 aircraft in 2016.

I don't think Cirrus has built any "spec" SR22s for several years now. As difficult as it is to believe given how much they cost, there is a persistent order backlog. I am sure the customer that donated his plane got a nice incentive from Cirrus, and I expect the doors were kept locked, or the plane roped off.

Mooney was on hiatus awaiting certification. There are twice as many Mooneys on earth than Cirrii. Game is still on. Diamond just announced a bunch of DA50s, some of which are retracts. Argueably it's now Cirrus that is saddled with a 20+ year old design. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Cirrus has built any "spec" SR22s for several years now. As difficult as it is to believe given how much they cost, there is a persistent order backlog. I am sure the customer that donated his plane got a nice incentive from Cirrus, and I expect the doors were kept locked.
No they weren't, two doctors got free rides , free parties, free special events etc. those doors was wide open if you know what I mean.

Nah, it was sold late this afternoon, the last few hours of Snf. If they wanted to do Salemen 101 they would've done that way before then. The salesmen that Cirrus has are "movers".

When you have a product that is beating the competition by 80%, even the most mediocre sales staff on your team are "movers". LOL.

When I briefly worked in real estate open houses were often a bit of a "forced venture" as well... I can't personally remember a house having sold at the open house.. the actual sale came from your network of buyers and other agents working with buyers and the showing themselves. But you still put a smile on, a positive attitude, and worked with everyone, even if those people already had agents. The open house was held purely for a marketing perspective.. and successful open houses (IE, make positive new contacts and connections) inevitably turn into future sales. So while that Mooney guy might know he's not going to sell any planes that day his attitude is a reflection of that company and will no doubt impact future sales and bonuses. If the agent is arrogant to everyone at the open house he'll not only not sell that house, but likely have a very hard time selling other houses as the market alienates him

A company that tells potential customers that the plane they fly has training wheels does not know marketing.

All very interesting reading. Me, I could never afford a new plane, I'm stuck with my 43 year old Baby Beech. For those that can afford a new plane I guess you need to ask what is the mission of the aircraft you want to fly.

For the manufactures the question is, what do the new buyers want and how do we provide it.

I would like something that stalls around 35kts, fly's at 160kts, carries 4 adults plus baggage and have a range of 5 hours.....:)

Just go to the website if you want information about their plane ;-)

(for a company interested in selling planes, they sure suck at building a sales website)

I would like something that stalls around 35kts, fly's at 160kts, carries 4 adults plus baggage and have a range of 5 hours.....
Sounds kind of like a Pilatus Porter... the stall speeds are a bit higher, but I'm sure with some clever flap work you could get that down to Maule territory

Sounds kind of like a Pilatus Porter... the stall speeds are a bit higher, but I'm sure with some clever flap work you could get that down to Maule territory

If it's not already on the market, there is probably a Porter coming out of the DEN area if it didn't already sell behind the scenes. Co-ownership where one of co-owners died. The maintenance costs are phenomenal, though. I knew one of the co-owners only as an acquaintance. He sounded bummed but he wasn't going to try to hang on to it solo.

All Mooney has to do is put a chute on the Acclaim. I saw the interior of the one they had at SNF. That was one hell of a nice interior, nicer than the G6 SR22.

Re trainers, I just think about what happened to the 162 Skycatcher. If anyone had the brand to build a trainer...

Skycatcher would be fine as a fully certified aircraft. It can carry the weight but the LSA reqs kill its useful load. Symphony SA160 to me is the ideal modern trainer or the DA20.

All Mooney has to do is put a chute on the Acclaim. I saw the interior of the one they had at SNF. That was one hell of a nice interior, nicer than the G6 SR22.

The Evolutions have an optional BRS chute why doesn't Mooney? When selling 7 aircraft a year it would seem a company would be giving them away just to get the numbers up.

Mooney was on hiatus awaiting certification. There are twice as many Mooneys on earth than Cirrii. Game is still on. Diamond just announced a bunch of DA50s, some of which are retracts. Argueably it's now Cirrus that is saddled with a 20+ year old design. We shall see.

You mean they were completely out of orders and laid off all the skilled production labor because another model was being certified? That makes no sense to me.

Typically factory production just keeps pumping out airplanes while the certification/engineering group are making changes to one of them.

If Mooney comes up with a clean sheet airframe and is certified 5 years from now, its still gonna have a 20 year old engine design and the latest revision of the G1000 avionics a 20 year old design.

Last edited:
This was more than the G5 to G6 lighting changes. No one would want the old model new after this new one was announced. It's more extensive changes, requiring quite a bit of certification work and a two new models, M20V and U.

Remember new sales have been cut in half for Cirrus in a decade. Just are more used ones to choose from...

Cirrus owns the piston single market (nearly 40% share). Their peak was before the recession selling 721 planes in 2006 (all manufacturers took similar hits to sales). The recession bankrupted Mooney but Cirrus survived and today is back up to 320 planes per year at substantially higher margins and pricing (are growing 20% per year). And after ten years effort and expense Cirrus certified their light jet the SF50 and has backorders in the 600 range (5 years work). Cirrus has actually limited production on the piston single because they had to carve out part of their factory in Diluth for the SF50.

Meanwhile Mooney is selling 7 planes a year.

Someone really drank the cool aid

Back