Monday is 1st Cruise Ship in Juneau

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Yah the tourists will be back starting Monday... Town of 25,000 to 30,000 almost doubles some days with 4 to 5 cruise ships in town.

I don't mind the planes but when 4 to 6 helicopters fly over the house it sort of bugs me. I'm 7 miles from the airport but am on a route they take to the Juneau Ice Fields. Every 30 to 45 minutes from 8am to 8pm..

I don't mind all the busses and all folks enjoying the beauty of our community, I sure hope the helicopters use a different route this year. One can only hope...

Oh well that's my rant..:)

Probably you don't directly benefit from the 30,000 x $500? $1000? per person that the ships bring so we can't point to that as a positive for you. Maybe the air traffic results in grants to keep your airport up?
Not trying to be excessively upbeat about it, maybe it does just suck!
Our little town relies on the tourists but at peak times you will hear the locals refer to them as terrorists!

Not trying to be excessively upbeat about it, maybe it does just suck!
It's all good I'm not home a lot during the summer. Out and about, fishing, flying, hiking..... It would be nice if they stopped flying by dinner time so I can BBQ in piece and quiet.

Hmmm. A pilot complaining about aviation noise.
That's a new one for me. :p :D
Yah, planes, pass over and you hear them for 15 to 30 seconds . I look up and wonder if it's someone I know. The helicopters you hear them for several minutes before they pass over and several minutes after. I think it's the terrain, we live on top of a small hill with mountains all around us...:)

I must say I enjoy watching the working helicopters, slinging loads for a delivery to a remote site. Those rotor heads have real composure, and have unique skill.

Last edited:
Yah, planes, pass over and you hear them for 15 to 30 seconds . I look up and wonder if it's someone I know. The helicopters you hear them for several minutes before they pass over and several minutes after. I think it's the terrain, we live on top of a small hill with mountains all around us...:)

I must say I enjoy watching the working helicopters, slinging loads for a delivery to a remote site. Those rotor heads have real composure, and have unique skill.
It’s because they have met the grim reaper and told him to f*** off or killed him and become the reaper.

Yah the tourists will be back starting Monday

At least the attitude in Juneau is not like Homer. Man, in Homer there were times I felt as if the store owner was going to pull a gun on me and demand my money. I definitely felt the "put your money here and get the heck out.!!!" attitude from a lot of people in Homer.

Not to mention that some people in Homer must spend 10s of thousands of dollars to keep their 1967 VW doodle bug running, and they must spend a lot of time online looking for those vintage 60s clothing. What a trip..!! :lol::lol:

Just about everyone I met in Juneau were friendly and helpful, and actually acted like they enjoyed living there. I would not mind going back again. Except that I saw more rain the first week I was there than I saw in the previous 10 years in the high desert....:lol:

Last edited:
Juneau is a nice place... a lot nicer than I was imagining! I was only there a short time on a cruise (sorry AKBill!) but the bus tour through town was cool. I even saw a pod of Orcas swimming past the dock from the cruise ship!

As much as the noise is an inconvenience, the revenue from the tourists probably do a lot to help support the inhabitants of Juneau. Now only if there was a place that sold fresh salmon (instead of canned), my wife would have been thrilled! I doubt she would have been able to get on the cruise ship with something like that, though. We didn’t see a Sushi restaurant in town, which would have been our other option (for some salmon sashimi. For her, not me.)

Stopped there on a cruise,enjoyed it entirely,did a seaplane flight. Sorry for aggravation it’s causing you,but it does bring money into the community.

Juneau is a nice place... a lot nicer than I was imagining! I was only there a short time on a cruise (sorry AKBill!) but the bus tour through town was cool. I even saw a pod of Orcas swimming past the dock from the cruise ship!
That's great you all had a good time. Plenty of places to get fresh Salmon. Guess you just need to know the town a little better. Lots of fisherman at the docks sell Salmon and King Crab off the boat. Shrimp off the boats is a little harder to find but it can be done.

If you ever get back this way look me up, my wife loves giving tours...:)

Stopped there on a cruise,enjoyed it entirely,did a seaplane flight
I really enjoy the float planes. They us to run the Piston Otters, now that was a cool sounding plane. Changed my share of cylinders on the old radials..:) Most have been converted to turbo props, the pilots love the performance of the turbine.

I've been involved in aviation since high school 1976. Navy and Naval reserves 14years total as a power plant mechanic. Got involved with float planes working on the Beavers, Otters and Cesena's. I guess it's the thud, thud, thud sound of the helos at dinner time I don't like.

Have a good one..:) Todays flight

Sunday 4-29-18B.JPG

Last edited:
Just today we signed up for another one with a stop in Juneau, in May 2019. Weather might not be as good next time.
Great photo. May weather is normally OK, July on the other hand can be very rainy. Look me up if you like, BBQ, local tour, or a quick 1hr flight in the Sport is no problem.

Take Care
Bill B

PM me if you would like to BBQ or would like a local tour..:)

I may take you up on that. I’ll have to see if my wife already has anything planned. Her family is taking my mother-in-law on a “bucket list” trip for her 80th Birthday. I’m just doing what I’m told. :)

I’ll be contributing to that airplane noise in a pilatus if the avionics shop can stop eating bon-bons and get off their laurels long enough to get the airplane done....

I'll be on one of those cruise ships in August. First time on a cruise and first trip to Alaska. Can't wait!

I may take you up on that. I’ll have to see if my wife already has anything planned. Her family is taking my mother-in-law on a “bucket list” trip for her 80th Birthday. I’m just doing what I’m told. :)

What if her bucket list includes “finally make that annoying son in law disappear without a trace”? :)

Was in Juneau at the beginning and near the end of our cruise, and it wasn't on one of those monster cruise boats. Ours was like 85 people, and could get in all the inlets and coves in Glacier Park. Wife and I ate a bucket of Alaskan crab legs in Juneau while this woman sat across from us with her husband (off one of the monster cruise ships) sharing one ****ing crab leg. Must've thought we'd throw them a leg or two. I don't think so!

Anyone can do a cruise ship. For real adventure take the car ferry from Prince Rupert to Juneau...... 2 1/2 days of no bar, eating facility just a little better than nothing and no Tv in the rooms. ooops, I mean on the ferry......

At least they supply ice for a quarter, and I brought my own bottle, but you are limited to drinkin' in your state room.

M-V-Columbia-Alaska-Ferry.jpg

Welp, I came up and made noise today in a Caravan. Those Capstone departures out of JNU are a hoot and a half!
Don't know exactly what a Capstone departure is. Is this what you are referring to?

The Capstone program in southeast Alaska will install global positioning system/wide

area augmentation system (GPS/WAAS) avionics and data link communications suites in certain

commercial aircraft; deploy a ground infrastructure for weather observation, data link

communications, surveillance, and Flight Information Services (FIS); and increase the number of

airports served by instrument approaches. It will also expand the IFR infrastructure to make it

more usable by reducing the minimum enroute altitudes on airways and adding special low

altitude routes and approaches

This is a first. An Airman complaining about airport noise on a pilot forum.

We've driven to Skagway, We thought it was humorous how fast the shop/tourist trap operators can tell a RVer from a cruiser.

How did the first day go?
Serious ramp up craziness, or did they have it all worked out?

The only time I've been to Juneau was on a cruise. In 2006. We didn't take a flight, so you didn't hear us go overhead. Nice town, however.

Now, I've also been to Kodiak and Adak (twice) courtesy of the Navy when I worked for them in the late 1970s. I don't think that bothered you in Juneau, either. :p

I saw a house advertised for sale in Juneau. First time I ever saw a listing extolling a fenced yard "to keep your children and pets safe from wildlife." The place was also equipped with facilities for growing "Alaska's newest cash crop, marijuana!"

:)
How did the first day go?
Serious ramp up craziness, or did they have it all worked out?

Worked out great for me I was underground working in a silver mine...:rolleyes: Only one ship in dock, they start ramping up with 4 to 6 ships in dock next week I think.

The only time I've been to Juneau was on a cruise. In 2006. We didn't take a flight, so you didn't hear us go overhead. Nice town, however.

Now, I've also been to Kodiak and Adak (twice) courtesy of the Navy when I worked for them in the late 1970s. I don't think that bothered you in Juneau, either. :p

Juneau, has been home for the last 25 years, casual by most standards. I spent time in ADAK on deployment a couple of times in the late 80's and early 90's, working on P-3 Orion's. Seemed like we were always there in February, wonderful time to visit ADAK.. :lol::lol:

I saw a house advertised for sale in Juneau. First time I ever saw a listing extolling a fenced yard "to keep your children and pets safe from wildlife." The place was also equipped with facilities for growing "Alaska's newest cash crop, marijuana!"

Bears can get around, under and over fences..:):) Not sure about the marijuana..:rolleyes:

Juneau, has been home for the last 25 years, casual by most standards. I spent time in ADAK on deployment a couple of times in the late 80's and early 90's, working on P-3 Orion's. Seemed like we were always there in February, wonderful time to visit ADAK.. :lol::lol:

One time I was on Adak they had great weather - the rain fell straight down. And, somewhere I have a picture of Adak National Forest. Complete with the sign. You know what it says. :D

:)Bears can get around, under and over fences..:):) Not sure about the marijuana..:rolleyes:
I think the listing was a classic example of realtor-speak designed to lure non-Alaskans to move to Juneau and feel safe, flush, and mellow.:)

I liked Juneau when our ship docked there. We rode the tram, hiked around the mountain overlooking the water, and were told the story (true?) about why Juneau, so inaccessible except by water and air, was chosen as the State capital. Because Fairbanks and Anchorage were locked in such a vicious battle for the distinction that the situation could only be resolved by choosing another city!

One time I was on Adak they had great weather - the rain fell straight down. And, somewhere I have a picture of Adak National Forest. Complete with the sign. You know what it says. :D
Looked it up ... that is a great story! I like that a commanding officer tried to cheer his troops by planting a forest for them. Apparently the "forest" is decorated for Chiristmas each year.

Back