ModAero, an Ill-Fated Attempt at a New Aviation Event

The ATCMemes stuff is great!!:D

I haven't been to any of the big aviation fly ins, mainly because of time and location never seemed to work out with my scheduling but was excited about Modaero when I first learned about it, always good to see something new in the world of GA

HOWEVER, the event feels contrived and artificial... and in an attempt to bring young pilots in it alienated many in the core GA group.. one of the first responses on the other thread was basically "old people can come too but there will be DJ's and music".. what??

The whole thing feels kind of like Icon in festival form

I went last year. I thought the displays from the various manufactures was impressive and worth my time. I would definitely go again. I even got to meet Steveo from Steveo1kinevo. The weather wasn't that great, I am sure that had an impact on the amount of folks trying to fly in. I wish them the best of luck this year.

On the local central Texas facebook groups the organizers have posted a notice saying the June 2017 Modaero event will be postponed.

Better luck in the future guys.

18620082_10212926180092322_3105795407688994044_n.jpg

It's hard to be an overnight success, they should focus on starting at a smaller scale and letting the event grow organically year after year

Well that's a bummer. :( I was looking forward to this.

Well that's a bummer. :( I was looking forward to this.

Only because you weren't at the first one. :p

I saw an aviation journalist a couple days post a photo of his modaero 2016 shirt in the garbage can. He threw it out instead of putting it in the donations box because he didn't want some poor homeless person to inadvertently become affiliated with modaero.

Yes, of course he was exaggerating for comedic effect, but that's how bad last years attempt was. If volunteer sign-ups are any indication he had even less support for this year.

I was having lunch at CXO today having lunch at the Galaxy FBO and didn't see any advertisements for the Modaero stuff, and no one seemed to even know about it. Kind of a shame it couldn't have been approached with a more inclusive theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point the "Modaero" brand is poisoned, and there's little chance they'll be able to convince sponsors, exhibitors, or participants to invest any time or money.

I agree with starting small and building organically. Didn't Airventure start as a small homebuilt fly-in pancake breakfast or something?

I was having lunch at CXO today having lunch at the Galaxy FBO and didn't see any advertisements for the Modaero stuff, and no one seemed to even know about it. Kind of a shame it couldn't have been approached with a more inclusive theme.

That's funny because I just saw a movie at star cinema in Conroe and they played a advertisement for ModAero lol. I started laughing because I thought it was funny they were playing ads even though it was canceled.

I went last year. I thought the displays from the various manufactures was impressive and worth my time. I would definitely go again. I even got to meet Steveo from Steveo1kinevo. The weather wasn't that great, I am sure that had an impact on the amount of folks trying to fly in. I wish them the best of luck this year.

Who?

So what were they going to "Mod"? :)
I don't think it was actually meaningful. It is one of the typical hipster buzzwords.
If you want to attract the hipster crowd, you gotta act like one of them and speak their lingo. Which is surprisingly not too hard if you remember the 60's and can still properly use "groovy", "rad" etc. :)

Being a Mod in the 60's wouldn't include "groovy" (US hippies) or "rad" (80's vals)

The Mods were rebelling with Vespas and danceable rock. Seen Quadraphenia have we? It was much more about the music then. [dismounts the soapbox]

Oh, and this post has nothing to do with the Mods of PoA.

It is one of the typical hipster buzzwords.
So I had a whole rant typed up about millenials and hipsters. I'm an unwilling member of the millennial age group so have quite a laundry list of gripes.. but then I found this YouTube video that get smy point across better

I'm an unwilling member of the millennial age group ...
Sorry to hear. :D
Great video. No selfies, though, what's up with that? :)
But it sounds like you aren't one of them if you can make poke fun at them.

So how soon until somebody posts an explanation of the difference between millenials and hipsters? :)

millenials and hipsters?
Without going into a ton of rant-esq details in my personal experience:

BOTH GROUPS
*have mommy and daddy's money to play with
*neither really have any type of work ethic.. IE, the expectation is you will earn $100K+ your first year out of school studying the migratory habits south American moths.. or by being an "activist"
*are used to being winners just for showing up
*believe themselves to be open minded but ridicule those who do not think exactly like them
*got all their news from Jon Stewart, and now from John Oliver
*stay on mom and dad's family phone and medical plan as long as they realistically can. Sometimes there are family plan benefits to this, I get that, but if you are 30 years old you shouldn't be having your parents pay your Verizon bill
*are perpetual students, some of the people I know half a half mil in student loan debt and are paying all sorts of crazy interest only partial payments, etc. These people will never pay these loans off, the only hope is that eventually someone bails them out (read, Bernie Sanders)

HIPSTERS differ from that group by trying to at least embrace some kind of "cool" identity (typically something perceived to be "manly", like lumberjack, beer brewmaster, repairing quirky old cars, listening to records, growing facial hair, smoking a pipe, etc.). What's strange is, this doesn't usually come from a genuine place (IE, they didn't grow up helping their father split wood on the weekends), but more of a "I'm rebelling against my other millennial friends", but at least the hipster crowd of the millennials brings something more to the table than just shallowness, and most of them work and are more industrious than just the folks spending mom and dad's money (one of my friends started two business, one making beard oil and the other as an outdoorsman hiking guide) <- I have to respect that

Hipsters generally stick to a surprisingly strict dress code that tends to be complimented by some sort of extreme facial hair and would like to believe their lives would be better lived off the grid.

Hipsters generally stick to a surprisingly strict dress code that tends to be complimented by some sort of extreme facial hair and would like to believe their lives would be better lived off the grid.

That is, until they couldn't charge their iPhones and blog about skinny jeans and which beard oil was best.

I have to wonder though... aren't the millennials and hipsters a product of their upbringing...? weren't a lot of them raised by the same folks now complaining about them? I felt like my upbringing was far more strict than most of my friends' .. maybe that's part of the reason the millennial and hipster thing feels foreign to me

I have to wonder though... aren't the millennials and hipsters a product of their upbringing...? weren't a lot of them raised by the same folks now complaining about them? I felt like my upbringing was far more strict than most of my friends' .. maybe that's part of the reason the millennial and hipster thing feels foreign to me

I think every generation is complained about by the previous generation, nothing new there.

The participation trophy generation. Parents demanded that their kids get something for nothing, told them they could be anything they wanted, and that they were special.

Now they're running into the cold reality of you're not special, and nobody cares about you. And it's rough. Couple that with the dead end of 40 year old economic policies and you get yourself a millennial.

I am technically in that group, so it annoys me when people lump all millennial together. Technically I think the millennial generation shouldn't start until 1990 or so.... Basically two groups post gen-X... The people who know what "before the internet" was and those that don't.

Old saying: If it flies, floats, or f***s, it's gonna cost you a lot of money. :D

This isn't the only event that ran into problems this year, look up the Fyre Festival online.... bigtime flop.

I am technically in that group, so it annoys me when people lump all millennial together. Technically I think the millennial generation shouldn't start until 1990 or so....
Agree, 1990 or after seems to most aggressively embody the millennial mindset. People our age or older, say 30 plus, usually are less millennial-esq. They grew up with Rocko's Modern Life and everything wasn't as belligerently PC and "everyone's a winner" until now.

Agree, 1990 or after seems to most aggressively embody the millennial mindset. People our age or older, say 30 plus, usually are less millennial-esq. They grew up with Rocko's Modern Life and everything wasn't as belligerently PC and "everyone's a winner" until now.

Umm, none of that stuff is new.

The "everyone's a winner" thing started in the early 70s. You're part of it, too. It may be fashionable on this board to blame it on "millenials," but that ignores reality.

This is getting astoundingly stupid. You could just as easily blame Nickelodeon for making morons. Which they did, just like MTV before them.

This is getting astoundingly stupid. You could just as easily blame Nickelodeon for making morons. Which they did, just like MTV before them.
Maybe. But I definitely feel less "lazy" than my peers.. or maybe they're just not as type A. But I don't think it was common in prior generations for people in their mid to late 20s, even early 30s, to be living with their parents or getting a monthly financial subsidy from them. Maybe it was and I'm just mistaken in my assumptions.. or am not as lucky as everyone else. But I always thought you move out for college and don't move back home unless you're in the middle of a move or some major life event happens. And if you didn't go to college, fine, you still eventually moved out well before you hit 30, I assume

I don't think I'm wrong in that, I'm lazy to look them up now, but I've seen data supporting that more people stay in school longer, more people are racking up crazy student loan debt, and people are waiting longer and longer to move out, get married, have kids, etc.

Both of my kids graduated college and never moved back in. Right to work and careers. My daughter just finished her MBA at 42. Only negative it was from Awwwburn.

RTR!

Did anyone see, uh, you know, that girl that was promoting it last time.... :popcorn: :biggrin:

I'm pretty certain that she was chased off. Mostly due to the pounding she took for promoting HipsterAero but there were probably other reasons as well.

So I had a whole rant typed up about millenials and hipsters. I'm an unwilling member of the millennial age group so have quite a laundry list of gripes.. but then I found this YouTube video that get smy point across better

What the hell did I just watch? And why would one go through the production effort to make that?! LOL.

That is, until they couldn't charge their iPhones and blog about skinny jeans and which beard oil was best.

That had me and Karen rolling when I read it to her.

No, skip a generation back to the parents. Mostly hippies. Gen X didn't raise the Millenials.

Old saying: If it flies, floats, or f***s, it's gonna cost you a lot of money. :D

I've always heard that as a much less PC version. If it flies, floats, or ****s... Rent it. Don't buy it.

LOL.

The "everyone's a winner" thing started in the early 70s. You're part of it, too. It may be fashionable on this board to blame it on "millenials," but that ignores reality.

Maybe in pockets but not widespread by a long shot. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and if you lost at a sporting or any other event, you just lost. Only the winners went home with trophies. I can't remember any school events doing that until my little "oops baby" sister (born '81) was in school, and even then she'd come home and be completely annoyed by it. It wasn't fully accepted as "normal" until well into the late 90s.

But if we lost, we lost. No fanfare. No consolation prizes. Just go home kid.

Somewhere after my sis was also the period where EVERY kid had to be enrolled in at least six different extracurricular activities. I think some of this is people won't let kids wander anymore. Hell, if I wanted to be in anything extracurricular I got to do it, but I walked home. Folks were still at work and it was rare anyone carpooled or anything. Once someone had a car, we'd all toss gas money at them just to not have to walk or ride a bike everywhere. Usually we walked. The bikes sucked. They weren't some fancy thing from the custom mountain bike shop. They were K-Mart specials.

Sis was closer to the "can't wander around on their own" lifestyle and got a lot more car rides from parents but was expected to get and pay for her own car or mooch from friends once she was old enough. Interestingly she mooched. I don't think she had her first car until her late 20s but she was well moved out and got herself around to job and activities just fine.

That's where my Jeep went. I gave her the silly thing when she finally decided she needed a car.

What the hell did I just watch? And why would one go through the production effort to make that?! LOL.

That had me and Karen rolling when I read it to her.

No, skip a generation back to the parents. Mostly hippies. Gen X didn't raise the Millenials.

I've always heard that as a much less PC version. If it flies, floats, or ****s... Rent it. Don't buy it.

LOL.

Maybe in pockets but not widespread by a long shot. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and if you lost at a sporting or any other event, you just lost. Only the winners went home with trophies. I can't remember any school events doing that until my little "oops baby" sister (born '81) was in school, and even then she'd come home and be completely annoyed by it. It wasn't fully accepted as "normal" until well into the late 90s.

But if we lost, we lost. No fanfare. No consolation prizes. Just go home kid.

Somewhere after my sis was also the period where EVERY kid had to be enrolled in at least six different extracurricular activities. I think some of this is people won't let kids wander anymore. Hell, if I wanted to be in anything extracurricular I got to do it, but I walked home. Folks were still at work and it was rare anyone carpooled or anything. Once someone had a car, we'd all toss gas money at them just to not have to walk or ride a bike everywhere. Usually we walked. The bikes sucked. They weren't some fancy thing from the custom mountain bike shop. They were K-Mart specials.

Sis was closer to the "can't wander around on their own" lifestyle and got a lot more car rides from parents but was expected to get and pay for her own car or mooch from friends once she was old enough. Interestingly she mooched. I don't think she had her first car until her late 20s but she was well moved out and got herself around to job and activities just fine.

That's where my Jeep went. I gave her the silly thing when she finally decided she needed a car.
Nate, it's STILL not widespread. The only thing that has changed is the year the complainers were born.

You got old. That's it.

Nate, it's STILL not widespread. The only thing that has changed is the year the complainers were born.

You got old. That's it.

I dunno. All my friend's kids get those stupid participation awards if they don't win.

Most of them place them directly in the round file, but they're getting them.

The kids never seemed to actually want or need them, but someone somewhere decided they're a good idea.

Back