Mit professor solves jet noise problem...

What a bunch of [expletive deleted] whiners. I live under the flight path of aircraft departing ATL, as well as PDK, FTY, and MGE is in my back yard. I have planes flying over all the time, and I LOVE IT! C-130's, C-5's, F-22's, F-16's, F/A-18's, V-22's, UH-60's, T-38's (and a few others), Citations, Falcons, Pilati (Pilutases?), and even an Avanti regularly rattle my windows. I can hear C-130's doing engine runs from my front yard. I've been known to run out of the house just to catch a glimpse of a passing 747 (rarer and rarer sadly). I had to have a cigarette when the CAF B-17 flew over the house.

Must be a matter of taste. I just like airplane noise. But why would you move into a house next to ATL or BOS or JFK and then complain about the noise of airplanes? That's a bit like buying a house next to a cattle farm and complaining about the smell of manure.

Still, if flying a few knots slower for a few more seconds reduces anti-aviation sentiment, then it's not that bad of a sacrifice. I guess we have to balance that reduction in noise against the environmental impact of burning additional JP-4.

They already use a radical departure procedure on takeoff.Now that the neighborhoods near the airport are being gentrified, we need to appease the rich.

Agreed, bunch or self-indulged pu**y problems.

A developer bought a piece of land next to our local airport (under downwind). I bet in about a year (once they finish building houses and Californians move in), the complains will start pouring in and the airport will be again asked to shut down operation because .... come on ... we GOTTA think of the children, people!

Since airplanes cause a lot of noise and cars are so dangerous that they result in thousands of deaths every year, why don't we ban them all and go back to horses? Again, think of the children!

Agreed, bunch or self-indulged pu**y problems.

A developer bought a piece of land next to our local airport (under downwind). I bet in about a year (once they finish building houses and Californians move in), the complains will start pouring in and the airport will be again asked to shut down operation because .... come on ... we GOTTA think of the children, people!

Since airplanes cause a lot of noise and cars are so dangerous that they result in thousands of deaths every year, why don't we ban them all and go back to horses? Again, think of the children!

Have you ever seen a horse fall on a drunken child? The horror! Kids are safer in their car seats watching Nemo on magical headrest video screens.

What a bunch of [expletive deleted] whiners. I live under the flight path of aircraft departing ATL, as well as PDK, FTY, and MGE is in my back yard. I have planes flying over all the time, and I LOVE IT! C-130's, C-5's, F-22's, F-16's, F/A-18's, V-22's, UH-60's, T-38's (and a few others), Citations, Falcons, Pilati (Pilutases?), and even an Avanti regularly rattle my windows. I can hear C-130's doing engine runs from my front yard. I've been known to run out of the house just to catch a glimpse of a passing 747 (rarer and rarer sadly). I had to have a cigarette when the CAF B-17 flew over the house.

Must be a matter of taste. I just like airplane noise. But why would you move into a house next to ATL or BOS or JFK and then complain about the noise of airplanes? That's a bit like buying a house next to a cattle farm and complaining about the smell of manure.

Still, if flying a few knots slower for a few more seconds reduces anti-aviation sentiment, then it's not that bad of a sacrifice. I guess we have to balance that reduction in noise against the environmental impact of burning additional JP-4.

I'll be sure to rock the wings next time I'm over your part of town. :)

To me, airplane noise is the sound of freedom. If it sounds different, I'll see what is flying past.

The article itself is utter BS- part of it says:
Air travel is widely cited as one of the biggest contributors to global greenhouse gas emissions.
I've read data indicating aviation contributes 1 to maybe 4%, so aviation is hardly a "biggest contributor".
https://www.icao.int/environmental-protection/Pages/aircraft-engine-emissions.aspx
The BS from both sides makes it very difficult to have good information about climate change and how to deal with it.

Once someone starts spouting BS, I'll skip the rest as they are probably ignorant or lying about the rest of what they wrote too.

I would suspect that engineering professors are over-represented in that 1%. I've met the man in question in several contexts - he's most certainly among the 1%.

Last edited by a moderator:
In an MD-11 slowing down 30 knots means you will be climbing with flaps out, not so good for fuel burns. In Europe they have been doing this for many years, pain in the butt, but not that revolutionary.

Wait... I had credibility???
You can check your credibility balance by using your cred card and PIN at any cred kiosk. This was all explained in the letter you received with the cred card.

You realize he is an accomplished pilot with 6000+ hours? I've taken several of his classes and he certainly knows his stuff, far more than you or I do.

You lost any credibility with using the word libtard. Just because you don't understand what academics do, doesn't make it invalid.
I dislike the name-calling as well, but he really ought to cite better sources. The source he cited to make his case about green-house gasses is nothing more than anecdotal. As an academic, he really ought to know better!
I would suspect that engineering professors are over-represented in that 1%. I've met the man in question in several contexts - he's most certainly among the 1%.
He should have just stopped at noise reduction instead of citing poor numbers.

Did not read the actual paper but no where did they mention how much of a noise reduction there would be. 3dB, 10dB?

To me, airplane noise is the sound of freedom. If it sounds different, I'll see what is flying past.

The article itself is utter BS- part of it says:

I've read data indicating aviation contributes 1 to maybe 4%, so aviation is hardly a "biggest contributor".
https://www.icao.int/environmental-protection/Pages/aircraft-engine-emissions.aspx
The BS from both sides makes it very difficult to have good information about climate change and how to deal with it.

Once someone starts spouting BS, I'll skip the rest as they are probably ignorant or lying about the rest of what they wrote too.
If you look at the author's other publications it's obvious where her politics lie. Pun intended. They absolutely have some compulsion to insert the "message" into every piece. Goebbels is proud, wherever he is.

Last edited:
Back