Mission Complete: Photos / Pics of My Very First Flight

Kinda... "The slot" is actually the GG that you have to come through in heavy traffic without being able to see the front of your boat, and sometimes if the tide is really ripping and you're on a slow tug, you can get stuck on one side or the other till the tide turns or at least weakens. I remember back in the day coming through there ghosting in on an old schooner with a slow old diesel chugging, middle of the night, fog so thick you couldn't see the bow. No GPS, had a Rayjeff RDF unit, a manual table top version of an ADF... and a depth sounder to navigate with. The tide behind us so we were moving right along. Trying to figure out which horn is who's, realizing that that deep noted one means there is a big tanker out there, and he's faster than me.... Listening for traffic.... I wouldn't do it anymore, any boat I take offshore has to have a radar.

Anyway, that's what the "Slot is really about and why when a sailor talks about it, there is reverence in his voice, because it's a stressful place.

Henning, the slot does not always have to be so stressful.

LOL.

It's coming...just have to double-check on the scheduling.

Actually, either plane is fine with me. That looks like a much nicer 152 than the 150 I checked out in today!

Brian,

You don't have to post your weight on here - but with the 152 weight and balance matters! Height matters too though my instructor, DPE, and passenger were all 5'11" or 6'0" tall.

I do love that little 152 but it would be neat to get the 172 as well. I need to start flying the 172 because I know not all my future passengers will be trim.

Also, I did not have the guts today to say to him "this is your captain speaking." Or anything silly.

I'm starting a new thread due to "thread drift."

Anyways, today was the day - did I mention I hate marine layers?

Still uploading photos.

Here are a few to start (my little tiny 152 and the very first photos of me and an airplane):

6134637738_e2bd52a19e_z.jpg

Great pix! Thanks for sharing them.

Also, I did not have the guts today to say to him "this is your captain speaking." Or anything silly.

LOL! My daughter kept calling me "Captain" when we were flying around in the 150 today. I told her to knock it off, and she said, "But you really sound like you know what you're doing on the radio!" Of course, I was only talking to the CTAF with no one else around!

LOL! My daughter kept calling me "Captain" when we were flying around in the 150 today. I told her to knock it off, and she said, "But you really sound like you know what you're doing on the radio!" Of course, I was only talking to the CTAF with no one else around!

OMG. The airport guy today said I talked OK on the radios too. Silly CTAF. I wonder how I did with ATC. Wait is Norcal Approach on LiveATC???

It is. I basically live in and around Petaluma. Would be fun to go up one of these days!

You live somewhere different every day don't you?

I thought you were in Marin.

Starting a "second job" tomorrow for someone I know - gotta save up a flying budget before we can fly together.

Current flight plans (flights I need to save up money for):

Today's flight (they sent me an invoice; working a job tomorrow and will get paid then)
Getting checked out next weekend in a 172 (CFI fees and plane fees)
Fly with a pilot from one of the boards who will be visiting CA in late September
Fly with a passenger one Saturday in October (friend of mine who texted "don't kill us ok" - another first time flyer)
Fly with a pilot from one of the boards who will be visiting CA in October

Current "free" flight plans:

Look into becoming a safety pilot for IFR trainees
Look into becoming a mission assistant with Angel Flight
(No I do not like the thought of begging for free rides so that's all my ideas)

You live somewhere different every day don't you?

I thought you were in Marin.

Starting a "second job" tomorrow for someone I know - gotta save up a flying budget before we can fly together.

Current flight plans (flights I need to save up money for):

Today's flight (they sent me an invoice; working a job tomorrow and will get paid then)
Getting checked out next weekend in a 172 (CFI fees and plane fees)
Fly with a pilot from one of the boards who will be visiting CA in late September
Fly with a passenger one Saturday in October (friend of mine who texted "don't kill us ok" - another first time flyer)
Fly with a pilot from one of the boards who will be visiting CA in October

Current "free" flight plans:

Look into becoming a safety pilot for IFR trainees
Look into becoming a mission assistant with Angel Flight
(No I do not like the thought of begging for free rides so that's all my ideas)
No no, I'm just always there because Peet's and my horse is in Petaluma (off of 101/Anderson Dr.). Well, either way - happy to split a flight around the pattern anytime!

No no, I'm just always there because Peet's and my horse is in Petaluma (off of 101/Anderson Dr.). Well, either way - happy to split a flight around the pattern anytime!

That would be fun. Splitting costs and staying in the pattern means I can definitely do that flight with you sooner rather than later.

If a weeknight, I can't be at O69 any earlier than 6:30pm (sorry, traffic).

We can turn off the plane and switch who gets to sit on the left. LOL. Each landing - new pilot. Since we're both checked out in the 152 this should be OK..... then again I've never flown it from the right. Hmmm.

That would be fun. Splitting costs and staying in the pattern means I can definitely do that flight with you sooner rather than later.

If a weeknight, I can't be at O69 any earlier than 6:30pm (sorry, traffic).

We can turn off the plane and switch who gets to sit on the left. LOL. Each landing - new pilot. Since we're both checked out in the 152 this should be OK..... then again I've never flown it from the right. Hmmm.
Anytime. I'm there pretty much 7 days/week most of the day. Yeah, you can stay in the left seat. Flying isn't about the left seat for me anyways :) It's fun either way!

OK. Let's wait a week so I can figure out my flying budget and stuff. Send me a PM since weeknights are normally free for me and often a fun time to fly.

You haven't read the Happy Birthday Star Trek thread, then. :D

LOL. I am a dork but not THAT much of a dork.

If my 152 is a spaceship I think it goes a maximum speed of perhaps warp negative seven.

Which means it either goes backwards or just sort of hovers. Oh and forget beaming people up and stuff. My clock in my spaceship barely works.

Those pictures suggest to me that somebody was having serious fun today. Good deal. Keep on having the fun. That's what this flying stuff is all about, anyway. :D

Since we are talking Star Trek that picture looks like the Borg!

Kimberly I'm jealous. Looks like an awesome place to fly.

So not being familiar with the area, in that last picture I assume that's the Bay Bridge at the top. So is that over downtown SF looking south? Or over Oakland looking north?

So not being familiar with the area, in that last picture I assume that's the Bay Bridge at the top. So is that over downtown SF looking south? Or over Oakland looking north?

Over downtown SF.

The controllers tell you to stay clear of the Bravo, and remain North and West of the Bay Bridge (where the Charlie begins at 1500 though they did not specifically tell me I was not OK to go into the Charlie - I know this because they told another pilot SPECIFICALLY not to do either).

This is the Bay Bridge itself, with Treasure Island in the middle:

6137230472_2271a9819e_b.jpg

The controllers tell you to stay clear of the Bravo, and remain North and West of the Bay Bridge (where the Charlie begins at 1500 though they did not specifically tell me I was not OK to go into the Charlie - I know this because they told another pilot SPECIFICALLY not to do either).
Interesting detail about entering class C that is important to keep in mind: Just because one is in positive radio contact with ATC does not necessarily mean that entry into the class C is allowed. In this particular case, it was fine since NCT obviously controls the class C as the approach facility for that area. The reverse can happen, though, too. For example, leaving class D airports outside of the class C but where the class C begins just 1 mile from the departure end of the runway. Talking to the class D tower on departure doesn't necessarily mean you can go into that class C. This is for example the case at KHWD - if you don't turn before the class C or they switch you over to NCT, you're not ok to go in there.

Just an interesting point.

Interesting detail about entering class C that is important to keep in mind: Just because one is in positive radio contact with ATC does not necessarily mean that entry into the class C is allowed. In this particular case, it was fine since NCT obviously controls the class C as the approach facility for that area. The reverse can happen, though, too. For example, leaving class D airports outside of the class C but where the class C begins just 1 mile from the departure end of the runway. Talking to the class D tower on departure doesn't necessarily mean you can go into that class C. This is for example the case at KHWD - if you don't turn before the class C or they switch you over to NCT, you're not ok to go in there.

Just an interesting point.

I did not get a phone number and a CFI who I met said if I did anything they did not like they would have told me. Though I wonder now if I did (or did not) have permission to go into the Charlie. I was at roughly 2000 feet for most of my "tour" and the instructions they gave me kept me - for the most part - out of that space.

I will have to post a photo of the TAC to show what I mean.

Good points, though, I have a LOT to learn and plan to do that flight over and over again (for fun, for visitors, for practice, for lots of reasons).

I did not get a phone number and a CFI who I met said if I did anything they did not like they would have told me. Though I wonder now if I did (or did not) have permission to go into the Charlie. I was at roughly 2000 feet for most of my "tour" and the instructions they gave me kept me - for the most part - out of that space.

Good points, though, I have a LOT to learn and plan to do that flight over and over again (for fun, for visitors, for practice, for lots of reasons).
You did everything right from the sounds of it! Sorry, the above es just some thread creep :). You were fine going into the C since NCT (who you were in positive contact with) is the controlling facility.

Great pics! Glad it went well. But please order up a day without that marine layer thing for when I am out there next month!

As we get towards winter, the weather pattern eventually switches, so that the Central Valley gets foggy, and the coast is more likely to be clear. I'm not sure exactly when that transition starts though.

As we get towards winter, the weather pattern eventually switches, so that the Central Valley gets foggy, and the coast is more likely to be clear. I'm not sure exactly when that transition starts though.
I always thought it started around now with October having some of the best weather. Headed out there tomorrow.

Over downtown SF.

This is the Bay Bridge itself, with Treasure Island in the middle:

6137230472_2271a9819e_b.jpg

That's mostly Yerba Buena Island. Treasure Island is the flat part.

Here's a link to it.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=37.8,-122.3&chart=127&zoom=3

Thanks. I was in the Charlie at times - then - but as mentioned they only asked me to stay clear of the Bravo and stay North and West of the Bay Bridge. There was some pilot on the radio who tried to reach them more than 10 times, and when he finally did they were annoyed. Glad to be the less annoying of all the pilots.

Thanks. I was in the Charlie at times - then - but as mentioned they only asked me to stay clear of the Bravo and stay North and West of the Bay Bridge. There was some pilot on the radio who tried to reach them more than 10 times
That's the problem right there - what I was talking about earlier re. them knowing immediately if you're going to be hard to work with. NCT is great; I've even gotten VFR advisories in the arrival corridor to SFO at 6pm when it was just amazingly busy. But asking 10 times is completely counterproductive. Maybe 2x? They can hear you. Stop cluttering up the frequency. Those pilots won't really get what they want if they're going to be a PITA to work with....

Back