Missing plane

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
We have a plane missing in our flying club. A Deb departed our area Friday and did not get to Taos which was its destination. It did stop in Telluride for fuel. Things don't look good right now, but perhaps it will turn up.

If I could encourage folks to use flight following or to file a flight plan, this would be the time. We've spend a great deal of time trying to find out where they went and when; ATC, FSS, CAP, many other agencies and the pilot's family. It's frustrating, nerve-racking, everyone is worried. So, when you can, please file or use flight following. This was into mountainous terrain in poor weather.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
We have a plane missing in our flying club.
Here is hoping for a good outcome. It would be a shame to lose a Deb but more important are the people. I do hope they turn up OK.

-Skip

Dave Siciliano said:
We have a plane missing in our flying club. A Deb departed our area Friday and did not get to Taos which was its destination. It did stop in Telluride for fuel. Things don't look good right now, but perhaps it will turn up.
Dave,

First, best wishes on finding the airplane and the pax safe and sound.

But I'm confused. They departed the DFW area heading to Taos and stopped for fuel in Telluride?

Is this the Deb Spike flew up to Gaston's?

Chip

Last edited by a moderator:
We pray for a good outcome.

Mark B

Only Deb in the club.

Dave Siciliano said:

If I could encourage folks to use flight following or to file a flight plan, this would be the time. We've spend a great deal of time trying to find out where they went and when; ATC, FSS, CAP, many other agencies and the pilot's family. It's frustrating, nerve-racking, everyone is worried. So, when you can, please file or use flight following. This was into mountainous terrain in poor weather.

Best,

Dave

That's why John was on the phone so much during yesterday's Raincheck. I hope things turn out differently than it's looking right now.

Man, if I were feeling better, I'd head up north and take a look, but I'm grounded.

I pray that all is ok.

SkyHog said:
Man, if I were feeling better, I'd head up north and take a look, but I'm grounded.

I pray that all is ok.

Your mouth to God's ears, Nick.

Dave Siciliano said:

Could it be the other way around, Dave? Stopped at Taos, NM for fuel, enroute to Telluride, CO?

At the request of the club and respect to the folks involved, we are asking to keep speculation to a minimum and not post specific information on the plane involved or the outcome (e.g. tail number, pilot names,etc) until further details are released and appear in FAA/NTSB data or are published in the press.

Thanks.

Yes, it was the other way around; sorry, I was in classes all day and, this morning. was trying to type a little faster than I was thinking before I left.

The plane was found this morning and bodies were observed in the aircraft. They could not get anyone on the ground to the actual aircraft last I heard.

Since there will be an ongoing investigation, we all just have to let folks do their job and take things as they come from the experts now.

I guess the point of posting this was to point out what folks put family, friends, the plane owner and others through by not having a flight plan on file or checking in with someone who will know the route and if a problem arises. We all had to just start trying to find out what happened, where they were, who was on board and for a big part of the time weren't even sure anything was even wrong. Had someone survived, rescue would have been delayed.

Just think about it. I understand not filing on a nice day staying local. On a trip, especially if weather is marginable and terrain inhospitable, please either file or have someone check on you that knows the basics. At this point, we still are not certain who the folks on board are/were. I'm sure they all have family and friends that would like to know.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the news Spike and Dave. Very sad news indeed. I agree that since this one hits some of our members a bit close to home we should say off the speculation that we all do so well, till and if they feel up to passing along more info. My prayers go out to the family.

All the people involved are in my families prayers.

Mark B

Dave, your point is well taken. All of us should use this sad event to point out to our pilot friends how important filing/FF can be. (and let's campaign as hard as we can against the user fee concept that would limit this important funtion.)
I am very sad to hear of this tragedy. My prayers to the victims and their families. Let's be careful out there.

I'm at a loss for words. I'm sorry guys.

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

Bummer deal, but you raise an excellent point. On long trips in NORDO planes, I'll typically file each leg seperately since I often don't/can't follow the plan as filed due to weather avoidance.

Sorry to hear this guys. :(

I've been lucky in that I haven't personally known anyone who's been seriously injured or killed in a plane crash... Three planes I've flown have crashed though, one fatal. The two that weren't fatal both crashed on airports, and the one that was fatal survived the crash and died due to exposure. So, it would seem the advice in this thread is spot on.

flyingcheesehead said:

I've been lucky in that I haven't personally known anyone who's been seriously injured or killed in a plane crash....

I watched one and know far too many more...:(

flyingcheesehead said:

I've been lucky in that I haven't personally known anyone who's been seriously injured or killed in a plane crash... .
I lost one of my best friends in a crop duster back in 1995. He crashed a 1/4 mile from his house as his wife and two sons watched.

So sorry to hear this. My sympathies and prayers to all.

It's fairly obvious what happend here. Don't let their lives go in vane. All you can do is learn from this.

jangell said:
It's fairly obvious what happend here.
Maybe you have more accident investigation training and experience than I, and more access to the facts surrounding the crash than I, but to me, the only thing that's obvious is that some people are dead -- by the press report, the authorities don't even know for sure how many were on board. Beyond that, I see nothing "obvious" other than that the plane hit the ground.

Folks, let's please honor the request posted above and not speculate on, or hint that we "know," what happened. Yes, we can learn a bit about filing VFR flight plans to help alert SAR if we're overdue, but that's all there is to glean from this so far. Let the investigation take its course, and do not contribute to any media misperception of what may or may not have caused this accident which might bring further unhappiness to the families of the victims.

220 feet higher and they might have cleared the mountain. If anything, this accident highlights the importance of knowing exactly how high the highest terrain around you is at all times. Very sad indeed.

Man, west of Cones Vortac on a VFR plan in bad weather. That be some rugged country....

Attachments

• Rockie03.13.03.JPG
    Rockie03.13.03.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
bbchien said:
Man, west of Cones Vortac on a VFR plan in bad weather. That be some rugged country....

Is that picture east of Cones? I flew to Flagstaff that day and didn't turn west until Angel Fire/Taos.

Adam Pirkle said:

The routine aviation weather report (METAR) at 1030 for the Telluride Regional Airport (TEX), Telluride, Colorado, 9 miles to the northeast of the accident site was ceilings 4,900 broken, 6,500 overcast, visibility 10 miles with light rain, temperature 54 degrees Fahrenheit (F), dew point 41-degrees F, winds calm, altimeter 30.08 inches, and remarks, lightning in the distance north and northwest of the airport. The field elevation at TEX is 9,078 feet mean sea level.

So the clouds basses for the BKN layer were 13,978 MSL and the OVC at 15,578 MSL, right?

The peak is as 14,017 MSL and the impact area was at 13,800 MSl, from that article that Dave posted. Gee it all sounds a little scud running like to me. The report from the NTSB is that the pilot was a commercial pilot, more often than not means he probably had an instrument rating. Did he? Does anyone know if he was current if he did have it?

We will have to wait and see what they come back with on the airframe and engines. But with the info we have now it sounds to me like the flight should have been on a different route for VFR with lower peaks (if at all possible) or on an IFR flight plan and flown higher.

The pilot was instrument-rated.

Also, the METAR which followed had lower ceilings, so trend may have been down. But, as always, I wasn't there, can't know what happened, pray I learn from the investigation.

ejensen said:
Is that picture east of Cones? I flew to Flagstaff that day and didn't turn west until Angel Fire/Taos.
On that shot the A/C is pointed south. Telluride is ahead and slightly to the left.

Last edited:
A Blackhawk helicopter dropped off the 12-person team, specifically trained for such operations, about a quarter mile below the wreckage, which was about 2½ miles up the side of the mountain.
"They were going to climb up to it," said 1st Lt. Mark Young of the Colorado Civil Air Patrol. "With the recent snow, the rocks are moving, and two of them were almost killed. We're trying to get them out now because it's too dangerous."
He said the Blackhawk then lifted the team above the crash, so that they could climb down to it. By Sunday evening, searchers had reached the site and were removing bodies.

The lack of a flight plan "is extremely frustrating," said Lt. Young of the Civil Air Patrol. "If one had been filed, a search would have been initiated Friday, rather than Saturday."
For what it's worth. . .

As an Air Force PJ, I was one of those guys on the helicopters (not Blackhawks, though, those came after) that risked my ass on countless sides of mountains digging victims and survivors of plane crashes out--primarily out west in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, etc. If you'd seen what we'd seen on those mountain sides and valleys, you'd swear off flying in the Rockies for the rest of your life.

Mountain flying is different. Way different. Those of you who live and fly out West know it. Those of us who live and fly in the flatlands don't. I have a turbo plane that can fly over. Need O2--another potential complication. I've flown in and around the mountains in a SuperCub--winds and unseen weather around the next peak make for more potential complications.

PLEASE know what you are doing before you attempt a flight into an unfamiliar airport/destination in the mountains. Call the FBO, get on a forum and ask questions--LOTS of them. Get ahold of experienced flyers/instructors at your local field who have mountain time and pick their brains. Part with a little cash and take them up to simulate what they can.

And above all, if anything doesn't look right or feel right while you're approaching the crestline, TURN BACK.

The O-6 who drove our Jolly used to look down at the crash site right before we were headed out the door on the cable and would remark, "The mountain won again."

The mountain never loses.

I've been ridiculed and scoffed at more than once on the red board about filing a flight plan. I've also survived a near-fatal night crash that left me in the hospital for almost three months. Flight plan went a long ways into helping me out of that pickle.

For every reason you can give me for not filing a flight plan, I can give you one better--and that is: It can never hurt, but it sure as hell can help.

Regards.

-JD

Back