Misdemeanor AME

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlvinFlight

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FlightAlvin
Hello, my names Alvin. I'm 26 years old and in a great place in life with my wife and 2 kids.
I've always wanted to begin flight training, but money was as is for 90% of people a huge issue of ours. We've both worked warehouse, and then my wife got into medical where she's a licensed practical nurse. Since 2017 I've been driving semi trucks and that was our income until now, now she's making over 140k a year $34hr, $50hr overtime pay and working 5-6 12 hour shifts a week. "It's mostly desk work with passing out medications 3x's a night".
She loves it and has been doing it almost a year.

I had a hiccup just before we met, April 2016 I was hanging out with a girl I had met on a dating website. She lived an hour from me and at 8pm at night I messaged her to hangout. We did all night near her place, and at 7am we went to part ways but she asked me if I could take her to work. I agreed (but honestly I was burnt out on hanging) I took her home for a shower and as she went inside I jetted to my house.
Here's the fun part, as I arrive home pick up my phone see all the messages "MY purse, bring back my Purse!!!!"
...oh my god, looked in my floor boards and there it was. I called, we made up she was ****ed... I told her give me a while to sleep and I'll bring it to her.
I wake up its 8pm at night, missed calls from a police department, missed calls from her.
I call the police, explain they say all is good to just bring the purse, they've done date and ditches too in their youth.
I drive, its around 9:30pm. now get there go inside. I sign paperwork they check everything, then the cop goes Ape Sh**. (you're under arrest for the theft of her purse, and her prescription eye glasses).
I tell him that doesn't make any sense, why would I agree to bring her purse if I stole it? He goes to straight up man handle me in the midst of talking, shoots me with a Tazer and sprays mace all in my eyes, it was just me and him in the department, further research showed he was desked for shooting an off duty officer during a bank robbery. I get arrested and here's the charges. "felony resist arrest, felony theft over $1,500 and felony identity theft".
Insane, I know. The officer valued her glasses at $1500, said I stole her ID because it was in her purse, and slapped me with a felony resist because I jerked away from his freak out. This was a small country town keep in mind, I'm white.

I know all of this sounds like wtf, trust me it ruined me ever using dating sites ever again.
I go to court for 5 months, she never shows and they subpeona her to show. She explains everything that really happened and said she was just mad. Oh the fun, instead of dropping it all and letting me go on with life the state picked it up and wanted me to stand a jury trial. I was young, no money and my parents couldn't afford an attorney either. My court appointed attorney comes and says the DA agrees to drop everything down to a petty theft and resist arrest or I can stand a jury trial facing felonies. I was tired of fighting it and really didn't want any chance of felonies because I could see how it could have all been perceived, some young punk ditches a girl etc... I took the 2 misdemeanors in 2016.

Do you guys think I'll be messed up for a Class 1/2 medical? Im scared, I've worked for the sheriff department since and did a mandatory psych evaluation for employment which everyone does. Everything was expunged and it turned into 11 month 29 day probation, unsupervised with a $12 fine.

I think you should have driven her purse back when she asked, saved yourself a lot of aggravation.

I think your wife is going to burn out.

You probably are ok for a medical. But with 2 kids and the wife gone all the time. You have no time to train

Thank you paul, Hindsight is definitely 20/20. I would have taken her to work and just stayed awake had I have known the outcome. I do feel terrible, even terrible for her because she wanted the ride to work and I was just being an idiot.
My wife will definitely burn out eventually, she's got a week vacation to italy planned in march its paid time off and it'll give her some relax time, she's also going down to 3 days a week for a few months (3 12s is her actual schedule), all rest is overtime or picked up not mandatory.

My 141 school will be 12pm to 3pm monday-friday for my Ppl and instrument, then my cpl is mildly open.

Thank you paul, Hindsight is definitely 20/20. I would have taken her to work and just stayed awake had I have known the outcome. I do feel terrible, even terrible for her because she wanted the ride to work and I was just being an idiot.
My wife will definitely burn out eventually, she's got a week vacation to italy planned in march its paid time off and it'll give her some relax time, she's also going down to 3 days a week for a few months (3 12s is her actual schedule), all rest is overtime or picked up not mandatory.

My 141 school will be 12pm to 3pm monday-friday for my Ppl and instrument, then my cpl is mildly open.

You're young, live and learn. Don't make excuses other than to say what I said, you wished you had just driven it back earlier.

Don't argue with cops is another lesson, sort it later.

You need a consult with an ame. Hopefully one will check in here. Don't go for a medical until you've figured out how to handle this.

I hope it works out for you.

So you want your wife to fund this new adventure? I wouldn’t let her work that much, that is crazy. And in a hospital setting is a huge risk to get Covid, a lot of medical personnel get Covid and die from it. 34/hour is not 140k salary. It’s closer to 68k, you have a little extra now with unreasonable overtime that frankly should be illegal and many medical personnel are getting out to avoid bringing Covid home to their families. And with 2 kids you want to fly?

Part 141 is the expensive way to train too.

You're young, live and learn. Don't make excuses other than to say what I said, you wished you had just driven it back earlier.

Don't argue with cops is another lesson, sort it later.

You need a consult with an ame. Hopefully one will check in here. Don't go for a medical until you've figured out how to handle this.

I hope it works out for you.

Thank you very much Paul, I need all the extra wisdom I can get. I live in the PNW area, was planning on going to Clover Park Technical. I've completed all gen eds, just need my AVP classes and flight hours.
Are you a Professional pilot paul? I only ask because the school partners with Horizon and Ravn as potential paths, and am curious if they're okay.

So you want your wife to fund this new adventure? I wouldn’t let her work that much, that is crazy. And in a hospital setting is a huge risk to get Covid, a lot of medical personnel get Covid and die from it. 34/hour is not 140k salary. It’s closer to 68k, you have a little extra now with unreasonable overtime that frankly should be illegal and many medical personnel are getting out to avoid bringing Covid home to their families. And with 2 kids you want to fly?

Part 141 is the expensive way to train too.

I funded her entire College education, I don't see the harm in letting her help me now, who cares how we make it if we make it? I think I left out that she's union and any extra days she picks up they give her $150-$300 to pick up the shift, 34x's 40 x's 52 is basic math, but it isn't that simple more complex, like on weekends she makes an extra $3hr and so on and so forth. I just know every two weeks, she brings in $6,000-$7,400 gross pay so calculate that however you may.
If all goes well, she'll be a Nurse and I'll be a pilot and our kids will be very taken care of. I'm lucky I found one who likes to work and to see us both progress for the future of our generations and kids.
Her 4 12s is very doable to her, and with all the bonuses and adjustments puts her at 104k a year.

Edit: Society as a whole is really in the dumps, you can look up with us or look up to us, but don't speak on someone elses circumstances of which you have no idea. I was a Class A delivery driver for Coca cola for years and my pay was 65k. My wife crushes nearly every income of anyone I know, like why would someone make that up? I'd said 30k a month and doctor buddy, and anyone can go to school step in her shoes and do it. I'm very proud of my wife, and if what I'm saying about her income offends you, or makes you jealous just move along and keep chasing the 200k-300k dream house, we're chasing the million and this isn't some "I make $15hr can I afford a hellcat"? Post. This is, hey we've got money, plenty.. I can put $2500-$3000 a month into flight training right now, can I get a medical?

Last edited:
I believe story you provided is missing a lot of facts, but the two misdemeanors aren’t going to give you any issues.

Thank you very much Paul, I need all the extra wisdom I can get. I live in the PNW area, was planning on going to Clover Park Technical. I've completed all gen eds, just need my AVP classes and flight hours.
Are you a Professional pilot paul? I only ask because the school partners with Horizon and Ravn as potential paths, and am curious if they're okay.

Last pearl of wisdom I have for you. You never have to answer a call from a cop, let it go to voice mail. You never have to go to the police station for something like this, if they have something on you they will come get you. What you said to the cop sealed your fate. Would have been better to deal with the girl, or if she didn't want to deal with you get a friend or a taxi to deliver the purse to the cops. Remember this if someday the cops call wanting you to bring one of your kids in to talk about something. Just tell them no thank you.

I'm not a pro pilot. But there are plenty here who give good advice. My only advice is not to give any money to the school until you get a medical.

I believe you can get those convictions expunged by a court after 5 years.

Once you become an airline pilot, please don’t takeoff without sweeping the cabin for leftover stuff or you will really be in trouble.
I hear its brutal out there, I'll make sure to pick up all the peanuts

I believe you can get those convictions expunged by a court after 5 years.
They've been expunged, they don't show up on a police background check. I know failing to report on a FAA med can result in a bad day, I've read of Disorderly conducts causing certifications to be revoked.

Every job I've ever had I am upfront and honest, with the sheriff department the sheriff told me it came back clear, but he appreciated my honesty. The interview with him was with him and two detectives, all eyes on me.

Getting a medical and qualifying to work for an airline are two different things too.

You still need to report it on the medical even if it was sealed/expunged. You should have any court documents you have on the matter handy.

Getting a medical and qualifying to work for an airline are two different things too.
Hey that's true, but Cape air is pretty much begging for first officers who want to make $20hr at 65 hours a month lol, same with
Horizon. Both lead to decent Majors, might fly Spirit/Alaska but I'll have my professional pilot associate which should give me some cool points, worse case I'll bachelor's that to open more doors. There's plenty of pilot jobs, and there will always need to be airlines open for vacations.

It's a long road, but it'll pay off in the 40s.

Edit: Society as a whole is really in the dumps, you can look up with us or look up to us, but don't speak on someone elses circumstances of which you have no idea. I was a Class A delivery driver for Coca cola for years and my pay was 65k. My wife crushes nearly every income of anyone I know, like why would someone make that up? I'd said 30k a month and doctor buddy, and anyone can go to school step in her shoes and do it. I'm very proud of my wife, and if what I'm saying about her income offends you, or makes you jealous just move along and keep chasing the 200k-300k dream house, we're chasing the million and this isn't some "I make $15hr can I afford a hellcat"? Post. This is, hey we've got money, plenty.. I can put $2500-$3000 a month into flight training right now, can I get a medical?

Pride comes before destruction. I fear for your children most of all.

Pride comes before destruction. I fear for your children most of all.

I fear for our children most of all also. You can't just throw money at everything and fix it, it takes a collective knowledge of each individual and that's a 50/50 split of acceptance or delusion.
I dont recall any children I knew enjoying the poor but had family around atmosphere. I would have gladly chosen financial security over watching my dad Rot from the inside out slowly but surely.

SGOTI doesn't have the answers to your questions. You're going to have to find and then pay an intelligent AME.

SGOTI doesn't have the answers to your questions. You're going to have to find and then pay an intelligent AME.

Thanks, I've found one and am scheduled on the 24th i'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I know the outcome.
I have 7 months until school begins because there's a waitlist, but I'll definitely keep you all updated.
The steps to get accepted are 1st/2nd class medical, sealed birth certificate for proof of citizenship for TSA, and sit down with an instructor to receive student pilot permit and an info session where they lay out realistic expectations. They really want their students on the right foot first before any money is paid.

Just to emphasize one point: The FAA requires you to report expungements on your application for a medical certificate.

Thanks, I've found one and am scheduled on the 24th i'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I know the outcome.

You might consider going in just for a CONSULTATION with an AME. Not a formal physical...just a consult. You can discuss the issues informally with the AME to find out whether you will be issued a medical, or get deferred to OKC. Tell the person making the appointment and the doctor that you do not want to get a flight physical...you only want to come in for a consultation due to some issues in your background.

Good luck!

Edit: Society as a whole is really in the dumps, you can look up with us or look up to us, ...<snip> ... if what I'm saying about her income offends you, or makes you jealous just move along and keep chasing the 200k-300k dream house, we're chasing the million and this isn't some "I make $15hr can I afford a hellcat"? Post. This is, hey we've got money, plenty.

You joked about church but if you've ever been there you should have stayed for the lessons about the love of money being evil and that the worth of a man's life is not about what he owns.

Making a good living is one thing but pride and haughtiness and perceiving that you'll be looked up to because of money is arrogant and something to be pitied. You are young with much to learn.

I also agree with those that are suspecting that there is more to this story than we are being told i.e. the other side of it. I suspect the truth would be somewhere in the middle.

You joked about church but if you've ever been there you should have stayed for the lessons about the love of money being evil and that the worth of a man's life is not about what he owns.

Making a good living is one thing but pride and haughtiness and perceiving that you'll be looked up to because of money is arrogant and something to be pitied. You are young with much to learn.

I also agree with those that are suspecting that there is more to this story than we are being told i.e. the other side of it. I suspect the truth would be somewhere in the middle.
I think you're reading too much into his posts.

I have 7 months until school begins because there's a waitlist, but I'll definitely keep you all updated.
The steps to get accepted are 1st/2nd class medical, sealed birth certificate for proof of citizenship for TSA, and sit down with an instructor to receive student pilot permit and an info session where they lay out realistic expectations. They really want their students on the right foot first before any money is paid.

Sounds like you are on the right path if the FAA medical, and TSA approve you should be good to go. Good luck stick to your goal I wish I had gone your route when I was young got some bad advice about waiting till I was older to get into flying. Now Ill be lucky enough to just pass one medical so I can get to basic medical.

Sounds like you are on the right path if the FAA medical, and TSA approve you should be good to go. Good luck stick to your goal I wish I had gone your route when I was young got some bad advice about waiting till I was older to get into flying. Now Ill be lucky enough to just pass one medical so I can get to basic medical.

Fingers crossed for you and me both!
Have you been flying long? I know if it's sport license recreational I believe you can fly mostly anything single engine and have 1 passenger. I believe no medical is required and it's only about $6500. Pilots a Pilot whether professional or recreational In my eyes we all navigate the skys.
I'm holding on tightly, worse case I get deferred and go through that extended process of whatever that takes. I'll get there someday!!

Who pressed charges on the purse theft? If the girl pressed charges she could have had them dropped when she told the fuzz “she was just mad.” That part makes no sense. Also, you must be of good moral character to become a pilot. A convicted purse snatcher (convicted whether you did it or not) might not be highly regarded as a pillar of the community. 2016 was about 15 minutes ago, Youngblood. ;)

Who pressed charges on the purse theft? If the girl pressed charges she could have had them dropped when she told the fuzz “she was just mad.” That part makes no sense. Also, you must be of good moral character to become a pilot. A convicted purse snatcher (convicted whether you did it or not) might not be highly regarded as a pillar of the community. 2016 was about 15 minutes ago, Youngblood. ;)
I thought the "good moral character" thing was just ATPs.

Oh she told the district Attorney she was mad, when she called the police. She did explain the actual circumstances from the mouth of my Attorney. The DA had an option, Stand a Pre trial hearing infront of the judge and if the judge found probable cause stand a full blown jury trial, or take a plea agreememt of Petty theft and the resist, both expungeable and drop 3 possible felonys. That was a no brainer in my position, the cop didn't listen, you obviously aren't either haha so why would a jury? All my luck would take is 7 like minded people just like your self and bye everything which isn't worth a risk.
I believe you should take the time and Re-read my statements and once your mental clarity can grasp my position we can try this again.
Reading and writing fluent english comprehension is a required element of being a pilot and it looks like you can't read at a 8th grade level if you still don't know who pressed the charges (State).

Bottom line, the cop didn't listen and you aren't and Several other people in here have mentioned not hearing all the facts and doubt, that idea alone was enough for me to settle a plea and get it all behind me.

Oh she told the district Attorney she was mad, when she called the police. She did explain the actual circumstances from the mouth of my Attorney. The DA had an option, Stand a Pre trial hearing infront of the judge and if the judge found probable cause stand a full blown jury trial, or take a plea agreememt of Petty theft and the resist, both expungeable and drop 3 possible felonys. That was a no brainer in my position, the cop didn't listen, you obviously aren't either haha so why would a jury? All my luck would take is 7 like minded people just like your self and bye everything which isn't worth a risk.
I believe you should take the time and Re-read my statements and once your mental clarity can grasp my position we can try this again.
Reading and writing fluent english comprehension is a required element of being a pilot and it looks like you can't read at a 8th grade level if you still don't know who pressed the charges (State).

Bottom line, the cop didn't listen and you aren't and Several other people in here have mentioned not hearing all the facts and doubt, that idea alone was enough for me to settle a plea and get it all behind me.

None of us were arrested OR convicted for stealing a purse. Did you file suit against the cop for the beat down you got? ;)

None of us were arrested OR convicted for stealing a purse. Did you file suit against the cop for the beat down you got? ;)

Highly unlikely I'm the only person aspiring to become a pilot with a blemish on record and nope. I'm going to assume with your tell my dad on you attitude you've also never been in a scuffle lol.

It sounds like you understand how little $ you will make while your paying your dues at the regionals, so your realistic about that. I'm not going to judge anything else you have done because I wasn't there. Fortunately for you, the hiring standards are much lower now then they have ever been. Please consider having a back-up plan because this current hiring boom can turn into a bust at any time. If you are lucky enough to be in the right seat when things slow down, you could be stuck there a long time. There can't be anything in your background that will prevent you from getting security clearances and clearances to enter foreign countries that the airline flies into. Canada is one that comes to mind that can be tricky.

It sounds like you understand how little $ you will make while your paying your dues at the regionals, so your realistic about that. I'm not going to judge anything else you have done because I wasn't there. Fortunately for you, the hiring standards are much lower now then they have ever been. Please consider having a back-up plan because this current hiring boom can turn into a bust at any time. If you are lucky enough to be in the right seat when things slow down, you could be stuck there a long time. There can't be anything in your background that will prevent you from getting security clearances and clearances to enter foreign countries that the airline flies into. Canada is one that comes to mind that can be tricky.

I appreciate the Response, I've had my Twic card for years and frequently traveled into Canada and never had an issue. I was OTR long before the home daily gigs, With everything expunged it wasn't an issue.
Right now cape air Guarentees a Captain slot after 3,000 hours and a 2 year agreement. I expect I'll be in my 40s before I land a Major right seat slot, and that doesn't bother me health willing. I should be 30 and at a regional if everything stays on track, I definitely know the money on my end wont come fast, but I know by the time my sons 16-17 if he wants to take part in the experience ill be able to afford it for him unlike when I was fresh. My biggest goals are sending my kids through college and giving them the dorm experience, and having them both in cars. More so I want our kids to be set for success, I've never seen any kids whose parents were pilots struggling and that's a big pro, the early years they'll not remember so much and it'll be the roughest, but I'm not an only income provider my wife has us setup for success alone, so anything I do is an added bonus

Not to get off topic, but I feel as though some people in here may have a hard time understanding why I would choose this career while already having children and a wife, and in all honesty since I turned 12 this is the career I wanted. I thought Truck driving would pay for it, but something always came up, in the start I was making 33k-40k a year and we were pregnant within 9 months of meeting but we knew we cared enough to want a family of our own, with family help we didn't have to pay for daycare and she was able to start going to school after our 2nd was born (they're 14 months aparts). I always, always wanted to spend the money on flight training, but always felt selfish and not right, cash cars would break and ended up turning into a regular 1 1/2 year thing, and all our bills/rent wasn't cheap, diapers/formula and not taking handouts.
So now here we are, and it can happen and I want to do it for her and for my kids and I know its not glam but nothing is. Most familys who have anything have 1 parent gone most of the time and that's life, you can go both work fast food if that makes you happy or makes you feel closer to god, but that doesn't feel right to me or necessary. This life is what we get, and the moment we started having kids we started our own legacy, and god willing our own future generations that will all have to live here to. I'm sorry but I hope we can financially do right by them, by our kids and give them opportunity to do the same through our grit and determination. Then their kids will have it even better, and it'll slowly through generations turn into a successful cycle so they never have to start from nothing again and so that they may live their best life on this one go around we get. This earth is a Trial, and living month to month doesn't get you any closer to god than a greedy rich man, but I will be neither. I just want to do right and hopefully set our future generations up for an easier ride. The American dream isn't dead, and its not something you have to be asleep to believe. The American dream is your own fate, you can choose your own fate and nobody can stand in your way but you and it doesn't get any more American than that. My American dream is to leave this Earth self accomplished respecting my self by knowing I did everything I could do, and took the chance because everything we do is not without risk.
I don't want any regrets or guilt when its my ticket to ride, I have my head on straight and there's plenty of young adults out there still working factory jobs or low paying gigs and bouncing from girl to girl. I don't think I'm doing so bad, and thank you to everyone who has encouraged me to keep pursuing.

Legal system in this country is all in the hands of the prosecutors most people don't have the money to file a lawsuit where the city, prosecutors have unlimited money do what they want. Conviction rates are 85% in state court and 90% in federal court. The Jury system is a failure because people who have no training in the law are expected to decide how to interpret the law and apply it to a trial they spent a few days watching.

Not sure if anyone remembers this, but there was a video of a glider pilot who was arrested for flying over a Nuclear power plant at the time there was no TFR over the plant. Plant security reported the glider to the sheriff department who insisted he land he landed and after the Sheriff figured out there was no law he broke trumped up some charges then the prosecutor offered the man a plea deal if he agreed not to file a civil rights lawsuit against the county they would drop the charges. The AOPA attorney advised him to sign it and he did later he tired to sue lost in court because they said it was legal for a prosecutor to sign a contract in order to avoid criminal charges. He appealed the courts ruling but died before the legal system got around to his case. This is why most people take plea deals in this country. How is it legal in this country to hold criminal charges over someone to sign a contract. This isn't the only example other prosecutors have done it I found. It's easy to sit back say should have not signed it and gone to trial face a jury likely would have been convicted just like the OP. I would have taken the same plea deal as he did to avoid a possible felony.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely I'm the only person aspiring to become a pilot with a blemish on record and nope. I'm going to assume with your tell my dad on you attitude you've also never been in a scuffle lol.

It truly sounds like you got screwed over by a few people in that town. Taking the plea was your only sure way out. Not sure what the “tell my dad on you” thing was all about, but this event is definitely part of your (recent) past, and you need to form a solid plan on how to respond to any questions that come up without getting emotional if you’re asked about it in a job interview. I don’t believe that you purposely absconded with her purse. I do believe you were very unfairly persecuted and prosecuted for it. What I’m trying to remind you is that you need be “professional” about it if it ever comes up. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back