MiraCheck...

I mentioned earlier that this was something I wouldn't use. A "snore" for me. I don't like electronic checklists.

But that's a personal preference and very different from saying is it not a good tool, which is what some here seem to be saying.

There is one and only purpose for a checklist: to get used.

If you use a piece of paper, that is good. If you use the checklists in a panel MFD or GPS, that is good. If you use a tablet or phone app, that is good too.

So long as you use it consistently and properly.

Are you against checklists in general then? Because it sounds like you're saying that avoiding mistakes by using a tool (i.e. A paper checklist) is not the right answer

And to that, I disagree. MiraCheck is a checklist. A tool. Just not on paper.

If someone is not using a paper checklist, they won't use an electronic one once the "gee whiz" wears off. That's my observation anyway.

It's downright depressing how many pilots I've seen not using checklists.

And things like towbars can be handled with hard rules outside of the airplane. Most people don't carry a checklist and reference it while they're holding a towbar. But they can understand the basic concept that a tow bar in the hand may be attached to the airplane. A tow bar not in the hand may not. Period. End of need of checklist.

The emergency example was poor.

My response was custom to the two things the responder said MiraCheck would help him or her with. It won't.

If someone likes MiraCheck or anything else for non-emergency non-memory-items, great. Use it. Like @midlifeflyer said, just use them. Paper, MiraCheck, paid manservant who follows you around and recites checklist items (also known as a co-pilot? LOL) ... doesn't matter.

But folks need to be honest. The tech won't save you from yourself. The un-alterable, required, never skipped, habit of using the checklist will.

It's about building a discipline from day one. Not the toys used to display or speak it.

The internet did not exist until the 80's. Before that AOL and earlier dial-up bbs which were the beginning of forums like these where people can tear each other down :)

Emojis didn't even exist until late 90's ✈️

Good mobile devices didn't exist until the iPhone and Android, although some people swear by (or at) their palm pilot. To build something to scale internationally with server-side (now serverless to us) and mobile components was just not a reality. I have been developing software since the early 80's and what used to take teams (and millions) has been reduced drastically with services like AWS.
Roger and concur on the Internet, and mobile devices - but from a higher perspective, data networks have been around for a century or more; we were buying compute cycles for developing apps, running core business apps, using data storage, and running back office apps, and doing it all remotely back in the 70's, over the public network. Nothing on premise except dumb terminals and printers. I don't see a huge conceptual difference twixt then and now - both were/are a way to rent the services you need without buying hardware. As far as applications, there ain't nothing on AWS that can't be had in your own server farm, except the great efficiency of buying only what you need, when you need it. Just pointing out we had that back in the day. My perhaps myopic, or too abstract, perception is AWS is another flavor of virtualization, which predates the birth of most folks reading this. . .

Personally I was hoping for an interactive iChecklist for emergencies like this.

Pilot: Siri, my engine failed, what do I do?
Siri: Fly the damn airplane, you freakin' idiot!

Personally I was hoping for an interactive iChecklist for emergencies like this.

Pilot: Siri, my engine failed, what do I do?
Siri: Fly the damn airplane, you freakin' idiot!

This is an emergency procedure for the Cirrus SR22 if have a cabin fire overlaid on ForeFlight so you can maybe find a nearest airport. I think I would rather have this info at my fingertips as well as the 50 other abnormal and emergency procedures to be able to reference and read to me while focusing on flying the airplane. I am sure everyone flying the Cirrus has memorized them.

IMG_0101.png

On the other hand, there are going to be those who say, "you're not too bright if you don't buy the latest version of the best thing since sliced bread I just baked."

On the other hand, there are going to be those who say, "you're not too bright if you don't buy the latest version of the best thing since sliced bread I just baked."

That's how "artisan" bread came to be $5. LOL. ;)

Roger and concur on the Internet, and mobile devices - but from a higher perspective, data networks have been around for a century or more; we were buying compute cycles for developing apps, running core business apps, using data storage, and running back office apps, and doing it all remotely back in the 70's, over the public network. Nothing on premise except dumb terminals and printers. I don't see a huge conceptual difference twixt then and now - both were/are a way to rent the services you need without buying hardware. As far as applications, there ain't nothing on AWS that can't be had in your own server farm, except the great efficiency of buying only what you need, when you need it. Just pointing out we had that back in the day. My perhaps myopic, or too abstract, perception is AWS is another flavor of virtualization, which predates the birth of most folks reading this. . .

Virtualization is about 1 of 50 services on AWS. One I would stay away from if you can. With it you still have to manage OS's and security updates, databases, app servers, etc.. Also, to build anything to scale there are many other disciplines needed like clustering which will multiply your VM's considearbly. And have fun paying the bill when you do all that as well as have an IT staff supporting it. Brush up on serverless Lambda, NoSQL, S3, Cognito, CloudFront and a host of other services that allow almost unlimited scale at a fraction of the cost of the legacy way.

Virtualization is about 1 of 50 services on AWS. One I would stay away from if you can. With it you still have to manage OS's and security updates, databases, app servers, etc.. Also, to build anything to scale there are many other disciplines needed like clustering which will multiply your VM's considearbly. And have fun paying the bill when you do all that as well as have an IT staff supporting it. Brush up on serverless Lambda, NoSQL, S3, Cognito, CloudFront and a host of other services that allow almost unlimited scale at a fraction of the cost of the legacy way.
LOL! - AWS itself IS virtualization! That was my point - and someone is supporting whatever OS is running the apps you're renting, or paying to have run; it may not be you, just like it wasn't us, back in the day, but AWS is a virtualization platform, a place you go to buy scalable computing services. You pay AWS to do the platform support. And all this was offered, bought, and rented, several decades ago. And back then, we did it for the reasons you elaborated on - so we didn't need to hire infrastructure, OS, and DB people. We rented that from the provider.

LOL! - AWS itself IS virtualization! That was my point - and someone is supporting whatever OS is running the apps you're renting, or paying to have run; it may not be you, just like it wasn't us, back in the day, but AWS is a virtualization platform, a place you go to buy scalable computing services. You pay AWS to do the platform support. And all this was offered, bought, and rented, several decades ago. And back then, we did it for the reasons you elaborated on - so we didn't need to hire infrastructure, OS, and DB people. We rented that from the provider.

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

I have been architecting technology 25+ years, and I don't seem to remember this magical platform, and I have worked with a lot of them. Why aren't they still there crushing the competition? I wouldn't minimize what AWS and their competitors are doing. Companies like IBM who had a stranglehold on these ideas suddenly are not so dominant. AWS truly has enabled entrepreneurs and startups and people with ideas to build and manage to scale in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the resources for a fraction of the cost. I am serious that if you are curious, do a deep-dive into serverless and Lambda as one example. You can try to spin it that it always existed (although container virtualization has only been around a few years), and of course it is an evolution, but if you actually tried to build something today of scale, I think you would be appreciative of where we are at.

I have been architecting technology 25+ years, and I don't seem to remember this magical platform, and I have worked with a lot of them. Why aren't they still there crushing the competition? I wouldn't minimize what AWS and their competitors are doing. Companies like IBM who had a stranglehold on these ideas suddenly are not so dominant. AWS truly has enabled entrepreneurs and startups and people with ideas to build and manage to scale in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the resources for a fraction of the cost. I am serious that if you are curious, do a deep-dive into serverless and Lambda as one example. You can try to spin it that it always existed (although container virtualization has only been around a few years), and of course it is an evolution, but if you actually tried to build something today of scale, I think you would be appreciative of where we are at.
Don't let them get to you. Having worked in (and escaped) technology, specifically IT, you have dumbasses that will try to relate cloud technology to the **** they did in the 70s. I even had one geezer try to tell me that the cloud was really just a modern implementation of dumb terminals connected to a mainframe.

It is different than anything that has been done before because it is truly virtualized and easily scalable without much effort. An architect can focus more on the need of the product than the individual nuts and bolts on how to build it because a large portion of that is done at the Platform and Infrastructure level.

Now the focus is on the application and interconnecficity layers instead.

Anyone else using MiraCheck?

It seems awesome. I tried it today and plan to integrate it into all flights going forward. Seems like a great way to enforce chemist usage.

It's weird to say that a checklist can be "fun!"

Chemist usage? Is this Crystal MiraCheck the new product from Heisenberg??? :D

Don't let them get to you. Having worked in (and escaped) technology, specifically IT, you have dumbasses that will try to relate cloud technology to the **** they did in the 70s. I even had one geezer try to tell me that the cloud was really just a modern implementation of dumb terminals connected to a mainframe.

It is different than anything that has been done before because it is truly virtualized and easily scalable without much effort. An architect can focus more on the need of the product than the individual nuts and bolts on how to build it because a large portion of that is done at the Platform and Infrastructure level.

On a huge macro scale, they're correct with the dumb terminal analogy. What they're missing is the tech in between the terminal and the customer.

Consolidation in the "stuff" done inside data centers was inevitable. Most of the pure data center companies are struggling to find ways to make themselves relevant by "partnering" with AWS and similar to offer hybrids. They're also buying up smaller companies full of cloud experts.

Bezos plan was always to build a better platform for online business to crush brick and mortar. That he could also SELL that platform as a service is just icing on his cake. He needed his online businesses to be as 100% available as possible worldwide and massively scaleable.

The platform turned into a successful business of its own.

Dude, I'm deeply involved in cloud migration; you guys are missing my mild point that the concept isn't new, unique, or super original, and that's all. Yeah, I saw the seventies, but I ain't there now - maybe I have a broader exposure over time, and yeah, the tools have evolved, and the infrastructure is miles better, no argument. But "truly virtuakized and scalable" isn't new, not even recent - your geezer buddy might remember spinning up configured, "elastic", and provisioned instances, with a reusable seven-line script, from a couple decades ago. It may/may be new to you - it's just geezers have seen it, in several forms, several times before.

Yep, an "architect" (why do disciplines always adopt pretensions over time?) can/can focus on the product, vice the platform - but someone is/is still dealing with all that underlying junk - the architect (and/or his org) are renting the service and cycles, instead of building and maintaining them. I concur, that is an efficient, effective, and a great way to go - the base that can be bulit on is in place, flexible, and massively rich. It's too bad user software still sucks, is still slow and expensive to develop, but that isn't AWS' fault, and it might/might even help, whereas the older virtulization platforms couldn't.

Dude, I'm deeply involved in cloud migration; you guys are missing my mild point that the concept isn't new, unique, or super original, and that's all. Yeah, I saw the seventies, but I ain't there now - maybe I have a broader exposure over time, and yeah, the tools have evolved, and the infrastructure is miles better, no argument. But "truly virtuakized and scalable" isn't new, not even recent - your geezer buddy might remember spinning up configured, "elastic", and provisioned instances, with a reusable seven-line script, from a couple decades ago. It may/may be new to you - it's just geezers have seen it, in several forms, several times before.

Every generation thinks their stuff is new. I gave up on explaining it a long time ago.

"Oh! You want to use THAT new tech? Great!"

As I think to myself... well, there's ten more years of job security for me to deal with the same problems and mistakes again...

Computing has made the same problems for itself over and over and over again. And it usually starts with, "The CEO saw this new thing..."

I remember the Apollo program ignoring the Gemini lessons learned, though in fairness, there was a time crunch.

Children, lots of opinions but little constructive comment.
Miracheck should have a users manual on thir website and a feedback button.
Can we do that?

Jeff, I guess I will eat some of my words.
1. I purchased the OSH deal over my office computer. Came home and tried to download to my iPad. It seems I must pay again?
2. So I recognize this is a SNAFU and when to your website to get Support or otherwise draw this to your attention. No Support tab and to use the Contact Us link I have to go via Facebook? Really?
I have no Facebook account and I am disappointed that your site approaches the Support side as a Facebook topic.
Can you get back to basics and deal directly with the common man or should I just ask for a refund?

Jeff, I guess I will eat some of my words.
1. I purchased the OSH deal over my office computer. Came home and tried to download to my iPad. It seems I must pay again?
2. So I recognize this is a SNAFU and when to your website to get Support or otherwise draw this to your attention. No Support tab and to use the Contact Us link I have to go via Facebook? Really?
I have no Facebook account and I am disappointed that your site approaches the Support side as a Facebook topic.
Can you get back to basics and deal directly with the common man or should I just ask for a refund?

Sorry you are having issues William. We are not using Facebook for support. You can just email support@miralouaero.com. That link is provided in the mobile app. We have already updated the website with this info. Just getting this off the ground so may be hiccups but we are listening and trying to fix issues as quickly as we can.

As far as having to purchase again on the iPad, that is not true. What you are experiencing is to download any app from Apple they require a valid and current credit card. The app is free to download and if you made the purchase from your desktop, when you login to the app it will recognize the purchase that you made.

If you are still having issues email support@miralouaero.com.

Last edited:
As the new guy here and about to start my PPL training, I am quite surprised at the amount of less than helpful posts. If I get the gist of the thread, the author found what he believes to be a niche to help others and execute the entrepreneurial spirit by blending his love for aviation and his technology background. Good for him.

• Will a technology checklist get someone who doesn't like to be bothered with paper checklists, likely not, but you can't fix stupid.
  • If his app is useful, people will purchase it and use it. Let the market decide.
  • If Miracheck saves a single life or major incident, then his effort was worth it and he will likely feel justified in all the thankless hours he has put into the app.
He is a fellow pilot and deserves a bit of respect. For the users of his app, we should provide him with a healthy dose of feedback on how to make it better. As I start my training, I will certainly have paper checklists, but could easily see where the electronic version would be useful.

Last edited:
As the new guy here and about to start my PPL training, I am quite surprised at the amount of less than helpful posts. If I get the gist of the thread, the author found what he believes to be a niche to help others and execute the entrepreneurial spirit by blending his love for aviation and his technology background. Good for him.

• Will a technology checklist get someone who doesn't like to be bothered with paper checklists, likely not, but you can't fix stupid.
  • If his app is useful, people will purchase it and use it. Let the market decide.
  • If Miracheck saves a single life or major incident, then his effort was worth it and he will likely feel justified in all the thankless hours he has put into the app.
He is a fellow pilot and deserves a bit of respect. For the users of his app, we should provide him with a healthy dose of feedback on how to make it better. As I start my training, I will certainly have paper checklists, but could easily see where the electronic version would be useful.
I’d also argue that the answer to question 1 is yes, as I have it integrated into my flows with the EFB. I am the worst at checklist usage - I use mnemonics all the time and can’t tell you how many times I’ve realized after the fact “oops - I forgot that.” (Like landing without the fuel pump on for instance). But with MiraCheck, I use it and have not had any slip ups yet.

And since it’s voice controlled, I don’t have to take my eyes off the sky to use it either, which is a safety boon in and of itself.

I was very surprised to see the lack of support here.

Back