Mini-honeymoon spots?

I live in the Destin Area.

Its been in the 50's lately. Light coat will do ya. Water is cold, but this is the absolute prettiest time to see the beachs. All the postcard pictures are taken in Dec-Jan time frame. As far as what to do, lots of shopping is around, fancy restaurants (and nice bars), fishing (while the misses is shopping), theres an ice skating rink at one of the resorts you can go to for around 10 bucks a person. Dinner on the beach, long romantic walks on the beach, pictures on the beach, take a helicopter ride down the beach, did I mention the beach? ;)

Right now is the best time to come as well since the majority of tourists arent around.

Very close to SSI as well... What is there to do there?
I think of Jekyll Island as Mackinac Island South. I'm not sure what the weather is like this time of year as we went around the time of the Master's golf tournament. The resort is old but nice and classy, sort of like the Grand Hotel but less expensive. There are bike trails and some shops and restaurants and something about sea turtles. It might be less costly and less crowded than much of Florida but really can't say. The airstrip is about a half mile from the hotel and they picked us up in a golf cart.

Last edited:
Let me add my congratulations too, Kent, but I'm sure others have better suggestions than I could come up with. Oh, I remember there being an old fort in St. Augustine. Historic, but maybe not so romantic!

Let me add my congratulations too, Kent, but I'm sure others have better suggestions than I could come up with. Oh, I remember there being an old fort in St. Augustine. Historic, but maybe not so romantic!

St Augustine is the oldest city in North America, lots besides the fort. Lot's of nice places to eat and stay.

What's there to do there? Any accommodations that are more reasonably priced? If I spend $500+/night I won't be having a full-length honeymoon later, nor affording avgas for the trip home. ;)

Didn't see a strip on the island charted... ForeFlight revealed it, but says prior written permission required. Hmmm.

Need to be a guest of the inn to get permission.

The inn is all inclusive, so you won't be shelling out for meals. You won't be paying tie down fees or a rental car either. Hey it's a special occasion...you only live once, and you'll only have one first honeymoon together. If you're looking to save money, head down to Jay's hotel off season.

Read some of the reviews and decide for yourself if it's the type of place you'd like: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...-Greyfield_Inn-Cumberland_Island_Georgia.html

What's there to do there? Any accommodations that are more reasonably priced? If I spend $500+/night I won't be having a full-length honeymoon later, nor affording avgas for the trip home. ;)

Didn't see a strip on the island charted... ForeFlight revealed it, but says prior written permission required. Hmmm.

The strip on Cumberland island is not open anymore due to its proximity to the P50 prohibited area.
st marys (4j6) is the closest airport to Cumberland island (also my home drome).
Jekyll island is really nice and romantic for a short honeymoon. They do a really elegant Brunch on Sundays that my wife and I go to fairly often.
Fernandina beach (kfhb) is also very nice and has more options for places to eat and things to do. Lots of little shops and the beach is nice. Plus as henning said, st Augustine is about a 40 min drive away, and that is a great place as well.

I guess my neck of the woods would be out of the question...

METAR KMSV 171235Z AUTO 09006KT 1 1/4SM OVC017 M13/M16 A3007 RMK AO1

-Rich

Attachments

• weather1217.jpg
    weather1217.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6
My wife and I were married while she was in the middle of gradual school so we only had two days for the "post wedding" honeymoon. We went from Northern Virginia to Annapolis for a few days of eating room service and sunset sailboat cruises.

But (here's where it gets relevant). Several weeks later on our way home from Oshkosh we had our actual honeymoon. Being FLW fans we went to Spring Green, Madison, Chicago, and Racine.

Kohler has a real nice resort. Rated very highly for midwest destinations.

There's also the Wisconsin Dells. Haven't been there, but we stayed at the Kalarhi Resort sister facility in Ohio and I'd recommend them.

I would agree with others stating St. Augustine. Great place to visit. And it is romantic. I had a few romantic one-night relationships there. I had my honeymoon 3 weekd before my wedding. Got sent to Puerto Rico for work last minute for 3 weeks. Had the wife fly down for a week. She was happy to have a tan for a February Wisconsin wedding.

My wife and I were married while she was in the middle of gradual school so we only had two days for the "post wedding" honeymoon. We went from Northern Virginia to Annapolis for a few days of eating room service and sunset sailboat cruises.

But (here's where it gets relevant). Several weeks later on our way home from Oshkosh we had our actual honeymoon. Being FLW fans we went to Spring Green, Madison, Chicago, and Racine.

Kohler has a real nice resort. Rated very highly for midwest destinations.

There's also the Wisconsin Dells. Haven't been there, but we stayed at the Kalarhi Resort sister facility in Ohio and I'd recommend them.

Ummmmm, unless Kent and his bride love having waterpark-drenched kids running up and down the hallways in sugar-induced frenzies as they are celebrating their nuptials, I'd avoid the Dells (and pretty much any waterpark hotel) by a wide margin. ;)

Kohler is awesome though.

Ummmmm, unless Kent and his bride love having waterpark-drenched kids running up and down the hallways in sugar-induced frenzies as they are celebrating their nuptials, I'd avoid the Dells (and pretty much any waterpark hotel) by a wide margin. ;)

Kohler is awesome though.
I don't think he's seriously considering anywhere up North or in the Midwest. That's why he has an airplane.

I don't think he's seriously considering anywhere up North or in the Midwest. That's why he has an airplane.

Well, the backup weather-sucks-too-much-to-fly plan might be an indoor water park that has the heat cranked. ;)

Congrats Kent to you and your Bride to be. My now ex and I went to Montreal in early December. It was a place I wanted to visit again and she wanted to see it.
Warm is overrated. I think the daily temp was mid teens. It's your honeymoon after all. You're supposed to make your own warmth!

Hmmmm a Mooney with skis!

VanDy and I were talking about putting skis on the 310. I'd have to add reversing props, but I've been wanting those anyway.

I live in the Destin Area.

Its been in the 50's lately. Light coat will do ya. Water is cold, but this is the absolute prettiest time to see the beachs. All the postcard pictures are taken in Dec-Jan time frame. As far as what to do, lots of shopping is around, fancy restaurants (and nice bars), fishing (while the misses is shopping), theres an ice skating rink at one of the resorts you can go to for around 10 bucks a person. Dinner on the beach, long romantic walks on the beach, pictures on the beach, take a helicopter ride down the beach, did I mention the beach? ;)

Right now is the best time to come as well since the majority of tourists arent around.

Destin is always a good choice. Heck Ill be there next week.

Well, the backup weather-sucks-too-much-to-fly plan might be an indoor water park that has the heat cranked. ;)

Kent, as newlyweds, a nice room with a hot tub *is* an "indoor water park." :D

Kent, congratulations to you both. No suggestions on where to go (I'm a west coast guy), but I wish you two a long, happy marriage. Just remember, once you say "I do" the two most important words are "Yes, dear." :D Oh, and "I love you" now and then doesn't hurt, either.

Well... Weather really sucked so we just relaxed at home. But the wedding was awesome. :)

Oh and congratulations!!

She seems like a pretty awesome lady. Someday we will need to introduce the ladies and cut some clouds up while they talk about us.

Oh and congratulations!!

She seems like a pretty awesome lady. Someday we will need to introduce the ladies and cut some clouds up while they talk about us.

Thanks, and sounds like an excellent plan! :goofy:

Without doubt, I'd leave the Mooney in the hangar and head out to Waikiki Beach on the airlines.

Stay at the Royal Hawaiian.

RoyalHawaiian.jpg

Without doubt, I'd leave the Mooney in the hangar and head out to Waikiki Beach on the airlines.

Hawaii is on the top of my list for the real honeymoon in late April... It just didn't make sense to go there with only a total of 3.5 days available (including travel days).

Hawaii is on the top of my list for the real honeymoon in late April... It just didn't make sense to go there with only a total of 3.5 days available (including travel days).

If you want advice on locations, just let us know. Plenty of people with experience enjoying Hawaii on this board (15 times for me, 16 coming up in August). :D

Back