Millennials

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by Timbeck2, Oct 4, 2018.

1. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Progress. :(

2. sferguson524

sferguson524 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerSocalFlyer
    This is me. Ketchup, pizza/pasta sauce, salsa (as long as it doesn't have huge chunks of tomato). The same with Avocados. like @jordane93 , i don't like avocado, but love guac

3. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    Funny thread. I'm a borderline millennial who can rebuild carbs and just sold a motorcycle to a millennial pilot that promptly adjusted the valves and had to tear the carbs down to make an adjustment.

You won't catch me with a landline phone in my hands though, and I seethe when people call me by phone at all. Learn to text, dammit!

4. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    I used to come across some ATC'ers with another skill: They'd delight in giving me a new heading and altitude, timed perfectly so that I have to roll out on the new heading, at the precise moment that I reach the assigned altitude, resulting in a three-axis acceleration guaranteed to induce vertigo — while I’m reaching for the radio to tune to the new freq he just assigned.

I bet if he keyed the mic a little early I’d hear him say, “Hey, Fred, watch this!”

:D

5. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    If a lot of information is to be exchanged, a phone call is more expedient.

murphey, Zeldman and jsstevens like this.
  6. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
    But with a text I can have my say without being interrupted.

7. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    I treat texts similar to emails and do not always reply expeditiously. That really bothers some people. If it’s urgent, call. If I don’t answer, leave a voice mail. What I really find amusing is when I miss a call from someone and they don’t leave a messsge but will ask me later “didn’t you see that I called. Why didn’t you call me back?”. Really?

Dav8or, murphey and retpd2001 like this.
  8. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    I have a "watch this" story.

When I was deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia I was in radar working PAR. We had a terrible fly problem there, so much that we had a contest to see who could kill the most. We even had our own flyswatters which we would mark with a sharpie to keep score. Anyway that radar didn't have foot switches so we had our normal headsets which we attached somewhere on our uniform. Some attached it to their breast pocket, some held it in their hand, I attached mine to my hip pocket. I was in the middle of a PAR run with a couple of F-15s when a fly landed on the screen next to me. I picked up my swatter, leaned over (which activated my PTT) and said to the controller next to me, "watch me kill this f***er."

Needless to say after that, I had some 'splainin to do.

9. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    “Same reason I didn’t answer...it didn’t appear to be important.”

SkyDog58 and murphey like this.
  10. murphey

murphey Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    No. I will not text you. There are far too many times when texting is impractical if not impossible. Driving, for one. Did you know that being on a cell phone while driving is banned on all US military bases as of the mid 2000s? Too many accidents.

I'd say that 95% of the time when I contact someone, a text is entirely insufficient to convey the information and the conversation. And far too time-consuming. I speak and listen many times faster than I text. So do most people.

Dav8or, MauleSkinner and SkyDog58 like this.
  11. Rushie

Rushie Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    I was at my daughter's house, she's a millennial. So she's ordering dinner for us from not Uber Eats but a similar outfit that will pick up food from any restaurant and bring it to your door. She's got an app on her phone and she's trying to look at menus and place the order, pushing "buttons" (I guess it's called "tapping" now) and I guess she was having a bit of trouble navigating around. Suddenly she says, "This is so much work."

Work? She gets to choose between Chinese, Italian, Indian, Thai-Vietnamese, etc., mess around on her cell for five whole minutes, and an hour later answer the door. That's what she has to do. I laughed at her and could not stop myself from saying people used to have to chop wood, light a fire, kill a chicken, pull up vegetables from the garden, make bread, churn butter, and so on, before they could eat a delicious meal.

PPC1052, Palmpilot and mscard88 like this.
  12. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    FTFY. If the food was delicious, it was just a bonus!

Rushie likes this.
  13. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    My Mom grew up on a farm, this is exactly how dinners went, except the stove was coal fired. Even later (late 60's), after they had an electric range, the old stove was kept in the "back kitchen", and got fired up on Thanksgiving and other holidays to feed the clan.

14. Rushie

Rushie Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    Two of our great Aunts lived in an farmhouse in the mountains of Virginia and cooked holiday meals on a wood stove. The milk was straight from the cow, cream on top and all. I can still remember their macaroni and cheese the best I've ever had. Globs of gooey cheese. Homemade raspberry ice cream from berries we picked. I don't know if there exists food that good anymore.