Midwest POA Janebruary Lunch February 3, 2024 1200 EST Rick's Boatyard KEYE

Because I'm a millennial, I won't commit. I'm interested, though. 11AM CDT?

@kaiser are you telling people 11? I was thinking of moving it to 11:30 or 12 to accommodate @flyingcheesehead. Of course he can just be late, too, nbd.

I won't avail myself of a stearman ride, but can't speak for anyone else.

Cid is pretty far out of the way. Tell Martin to rent the cirrus. I can pick up @NealRomeoGolf if (when) his upholsterer is still not done.
I’ve been telling folks 11/1130. Happy to adjust.

Next month is going to be Ohio with X3 Skier or similar.

If you come to my Home Drome, I19, a visit to the USAF Museum is possible. I volunteer there and can give a tour if desired but its really worth two days. The FBO has a couple of nice vans as Crew Cars and its about a 20 minute drive. The Museum has a snack bar and “restaurant” on site.

An alternative is I69, Home to the Tri State Warbird Museum and Sporty’s Pilot Shop. Saturdays, the Museum is open and Sporty’s has a free cookout with Brats, hot dogs and Metts.

Cheers

Weather looks awesome for Saturday :thumbsup:

If you come to my Home Drome, I19, a visit to the USAF Museum is possible. I volunteer there and can give a tour if desired but its really worth two days. The FBO has a couple of nice vans as Crew Cars and its about a 20 minute drive. The Museum has a snack bar and “restaurant” on site.

An alternative is I69, Home to the Tri State Warbird Museum and Sporty’s Pilot Shop. Saturdays, the Museum is open and Sporty’s has a free cookout with Brats, hot dogs and Metts.

Cheers
I flew into i19 last fall to visit the usaf museum...didn't know that was your home base. It is an easy drive, can't do it justice in a few hours; I was there for three or four and didn't even manage to walk through all four hangars. We really need to do an overnight fly in there. I think a couple poa guys did that this summer?

I love the i69 idea... sportys cookout has been on my to-do list for a while.

Last edited:
I have an airworthy plane again. As long as the calendar is clear, I'm in. If @Martin Pauly really wants a ride, I'm up for that too. We can do the whole flight auf Deutsch.
That is a very kind offer, @NealRomeoGolf . Thank you.

Besides being planeless (still!), I also have a flight with a student booked starting at 1:00. Let me probe if there is flexibility to move that to a later time in the afternoon.

Vielen Dank! :)

- Martin

That is a very kind offer, @NealRomeoGolf . Thank you.

Besides being planeless (still!), I also have a flight with a student booked starting at 1:00. Let me probe if there is flexibility to move that to a later time in the afternoon.

Vielen Dank! :)

- Martin
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for some cross-country training ;)

I too, am planeless. Though this time it isn't the plane's fault.

NOTAM 08/006: Tri-County Regional Airport (KLNR)
!LNR 08/006 LNR RWY 18/36 CLSD 2208161500-2209121800 CREATED: 15 Aug 2022 14:55:00 SOURCE: KGRBYFYX
NOTAM 06/001: Tri-County Regional Airport (KLNR)
!LNR 06/001 LNR RWY 09/27 CLSD 2206131200-2209151200 CREATED: 06 Jun 2022 12:05:00 SOURCE: KGRBYFYX

The Stearman won’t be around, someone has it dual from 12-2.

I'm flexible between 11 or noon. Stearman is a bit out of my price range ATM but always enjoy gawking at the classics.
@Racerx @Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Y'all going to make it to one of these? Doesn't get easier than Schaumburg. Next month is going to be Ohio with X3 Skier or similar. Kent, maybe drop a line to Peter Von? @Radar Contact Need a ride?
My dad is in Alaska and his December avionics upgrade with Jesse Saint got moved up to October. Then the plane in front of him couldn't make the date. So Jesse needs the plane in early September. But I'm leaving Tuesday for 2 weeks for my elk hunt. My dad is flying from Anchorage to Albuquerque...after I get camp set up. What was originally a planned Florida winter vacation was moved up a few months. So this weekend is the only time I can get Jesse the plane. My cfii has a home down there so me and him are taking 4123w down to X35 tomorrow morning. 2-10" hdx displays, ifd440, ps engineering audio panel, aerocruze ap... everything is coming out. We're planning a fuel stop at KTHA and depending on timing would like to check out the museum.

Last edited:
Sadly, I'm unable to move my scheduled flights tomorrow enough to make it to the lunch in Schaumburg, despite the generous offer from @NealRomeoGolf (thank you again).
You all have fun and safe flights!

- Martin
Have fun too. Greetings from Iowa City today. I was stalking Cedar Rapids. ;) Or doing an Angel Flight. Pick which suits you. Gruß.

What's the best way in from CGX - or what used to be CGX.

We might pop over, but April wants a skyline flight if we do it.

@kaiser would say straight in at 1899 over the IKE, between Midway and O'hare above the highway. Then turn right and follow the O'hare ring.

I'd say he is crazy. Follow the O'hare bravo where you can do it at 3200' and stay out of the bumps and helicopters.

What's the best way in from CGX - or what used to be CGX.

We might pop over, but April wants a skyline flight if we do it.
lol from Meigs? You're from Michigan, so head west, follow the lake around to the skyline. I like to do follow skyline north until Bahai Temple / Northwestern University, bang a U-turn, then southbound (so right seaters can enjoy too). Over Soldier field where there are fewer high rises i'll head west and follow the Eisenhower expressway (I-290) and follow the ORD surface area around until I get to 06C. If you're talking to ATC, this is called the "Eisenhower transition".

I like doing the skyline at 1600. On shore emergency outs are on the beach or just off shore. Following I-290 I'll go 1600-1700 (Bravo starts at 1900) and stay north of I-290 since the Midway surface area reaches but does not go past it. Emergency outs on the transition are parks and parking lots (as you get to the western half of the transition there are bigger warehouse lots). Here is a screenshot:
00DF4932-3806-4145-BBAB-852FE9AF2B35.jpeg

@kaiser would say straight in at 1899 over the IKE, between Midway and O'hare above the highway. Then turn right and follow the O'hare ring.

I'd say he is crazy. Follow the O'hare bravo where you can do it at 3200' and stay out of the bumps and helicopters.
Lol how’d you know?

edit: to quote @EdFred the engine doesn't know it's over the city...

I like how one of your arrows is right through the Comiskey ?, US Cellular ?, White Sox? TFR.

We have a positive case in the house so likely best for me to sit it out. Maybe I'll make one of the ones coming up.

Ironically, weekends are hardest for me due to family and kids sports.

We're targeting 11:30 but who knows. Any particular traffic/ATC stuff worth knowing coming from the SW? Our direct course takes right over Dupage. If it's mostly clear on the way in I'll just go VFR and duck under the shelf but if there are a bunch of scattered poofy bois I'm gonna file rather than cloud dodge for an hour+.

We're targeting 11:30 but who knows. Any particular traffic/ATC stuff worth knowing coming from the SW? Our direct course takes right over Dupage. If it's mostly clear on the way in I'll just go VFR and duck under the shelf but if there are a bunch of scattered poofy bois I'm gonna file rather than cloud dodge for an hour+.
DuPage is an easy transition. Watch out for the bravo shelves. It drops to 3000 on the west side of DPA, so maybe transition at 2500. Schaumburg sits under the 1900 shelf. Traffic pattern is 1600.

METAR rn shows calm winds but Ohare is in east flow. Calm wind runway is 29. A nice waypoint for its 45 entry is a couple of small ponds south of the field. Also watch out for nordo and non-xpndr traffic, they have a couple of cubs based there.

edit: Approach will not bring you into 06C. They’ll make you cancel just east of DPA.

Well be on our way shortly I think, might be a little behind schedule but we’re coming.

Wish I was coming, had a checkride yesterday, am exhausted. Haha

We are here and I got a table for 8.

We’re under “Pilots of America”

Well that was fun. Pretty good turnout. Nice to meet @flyingcheesehead . @masloki has the pics. @rwellner98 showed up in his "new" airplane as everyone was leaving, so that was cool to see.

What are we doing next month? I've been told we need to go east....Sporty's has been mentioned....other ideas?

Well that was fun. Pretty good turnout. Nice to meet @flyingcheesehead . @masloki has the pics. @rwellner98 showed up in his "new" airplane as everyone was leaving, so that was cool to see.

What are we doing next month? I've been told we need to go east....Sporty's has been mentioned....other ideas?
Dang it, I missed the Maule.

Back