Midwest Mini Fly-in

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Anyone interested in meeting somewhere on Saturday 1-13-07 for lunch. I'd like to keep it within 100 nm of Minneapolis. If you ever wanted to meet Tristar this will be your chance as she will be with. We'll be in a Diamond DA-20 and VFR only.

Anyone interested in meeting somewhere on Saturday 1-13-07 for lunch. I'd like to keep it within 100 nm of Minneapolis. If you ever wanted to meet Tristar this will be your chance as she will be with. We'll be in a Diamond DA-20 and VFR only.
Love to, but if the weather's good around here we'll be heading down to Memphis for the commercial solo. However, it's not looking too good, per NOAA:

Saturday: A chance of rain, snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: A chance of rain, snow, or sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday: Snow, freezing rain, or sleet likely. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

M.L.King Day: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 12

Love to, but if the weather's good around here we'll be heading down to Memphis for the commercial solo. However, it's not looking too good, per NOAA:
I hope it holds off till Tom gets to Milwaukee tomorrow (via the Skyhawk).

C'mon everybody, pleeeease?? *puppy dog eyes* It sounds like so much fun and I don't get to have much aviation fun. Plus I haven't met too many people on here and I love making aviator buddies. Hopefully weather will be great!

going to see leah in rockford, supposed to snow. sorry! see you at gastons tri! :yes:

C'mon everybody, pleeeease?? *puppy dog eyes* It sounds like so much fun and I don't get to have much aviation fun. Plus I haven't met too many people on here and I love making aviator buddies. Hopefully weather will be great!

Geez....I can't make it either. Sorry about that Tris but I'm in Dallas, TX till the end of the month. If you're looking for aviation fun howsabout you come down to the city and wash my airplane? :rolleyes:

Geez....I can't make it either. Sorry about that Tris but I'm in Dallas, TX till the end of the month. If you're looking for aviation fun howsabout you come down to the city and wash my airplane? :rolleyes:
I have a long XC scheduled in the 172 to Dallas love but its a training flight, sorry! Plus, tis cold out, yous crazy?! LOL

CFIs know how to stop and get out of airplanes Tri, and I bet even yours knows how to stop and have lunch!

Maybe mine might now but I tell ya, in Private training, we weren't stopping for nothin'! Touch and go then back home. Thats why I enjoy little fly ins like this, gives me a chance to finally socialize in person!...despite having little to socialize about.

Sorry dude (and dudette). Took the RV back to day last weekend. I am once again "plane-less". And I'm too friggin broke from paying Tony last fall to be able to afford to rent a plane! ;)

-Chris

I'll see what this weekend brings. Not sure yet.

Oh man, I wish I could but I'm completely booked up on Saturday. Meeting, appointment, birthday party.

What about Sunday? I think we were talking about doing something, somewhere, with Dave S too.

Oh man, I wish I could but I'm completely booked up on Saturday. Meeting, appointment, birthday party.

What about Sunday? I think we were talking about doing something, somewhere, with Dave S too.

Sunday might work, Where are we talking? Hopefully not too far.

I got it.

You can all come to SPW and help me finish my interior! I'll buy the pizza and beer. :yes::fcross::rofl:

James Dean

Would like to, but calling for Freezing rain etc.. here
Maybe next time

Mark B

How the heck do "we" fly "solo"? :dunno: :rofl:
Well, had the weather cooperated, it goes like this.
She gets in plane. I get in car. Meet in Memphis. Then I get in plane. She gets in car. Meet back in Bolingbrook. Hence, we fly solo! And it's cheaper than the alternative, which is two 500NM solos. 500NM, since one airport must be at least 250NM from the starting airport.

Maybe we'll do Columbus, instead, the following weekend. There's a greatlakespilots get-together there on Saturday.

Grant keep in mind it has to be at least 300nm total.

Grant keep in mind it has to be at least 300nm total.
Yeah, but a sawtooth course can give a 300NM path to an airport 250NM away, leaving the driver with only 250NM to drive (or the road-mile equivalent thereof). IOW, Yeah, we're quite aware of that!:yes:

What is it about you high-falutin' CFI's that makes you think that us lowly CGI's can't read the regs?:goofy::dunno::rofl:

Last edited:
You guys are missing out. Its 5 degrees here in MN but its pretty good VFR weather.

glad you made it Tri! Ice storms had Jesse worried...

glad you made it Tri! Ice storms had Jesse worried...
Yea I'm glad I missed that. It was misting this morning when I left but was above freezing. Hopefully there wont be any when I go home either. Although despite us getting ice in OK, I still think its colder here. Its actualy not so bad when the wind isn't blowing but I'd still prefer Florida's winter except on Xmas. I went from short sleeve shirts in Fl to a pretty good sized coat! I guess if you look on the brighter side, the airplane should get great climb out performance! I look forward to seeing how well Jesse can fly the Diamond anyways, he already took his turn with me and the 172! Poor guy... haha

Last edited:
Yea I'm glad I missed that. It was misting this morning when I left but was above freezing. Hopefully there wont be any when I go home either. Although despite us getting ice in OK, I still think its colder here. Its actualy not so bad when the wind isn't blowing but I'd still prefer Florida's winter except on Xmas. I went from short sleeve shirts in Fl to a pretty good sized coat! I guess if you look on the brighter side, the airplane should get great climb out performance! I look forward to seeing how well Jesse can fly the Diamond anyways, he already took his turn with me and the 172! Poor guy... haha

You'll be the one flying the Diamond. I'll be leaving work in a few minutes.

Aight Jesse... Since Dave won't be here, how 'bout you pick a spot and we'll go there on Sunday? (I'm already booked up for Saturday. :( )

Isn't there a restaurant at EAU?

We'll have to keep a close eye on wx also, I think the flyable IFR days for the winter might be over. Temps dropping rapidly!

We definately got nailed in Tulsa. Airlines are cancelled. Temps are not supposed to get above freezing until Wednesday. 1st wave hit and now two more. I am just glad I got home. Plane broke down and ended up being out Sunday threw Thursday night. Good luck getting home Tristan.

You guys are missing out. Its 5 degrees here in MN but its pretty good VFR weather.

Tristan, where are you at?

Jesse et al, I could be up for a lunch on either weekend day, but I think Sunday is better for me.

Tristan, where are you at?

Jesse et al, I could be up for a lunch on either weekend day, but I think Sunday is better for me.

She is with me.

Right now we're booked to fly tomorrow--maybe we can Sunday too--but if so it would have to be pretty close to the MSP area.

She is with me.

Right now we're booked to fly tomorrow--maybe we can Sunday too--but if so it would have to be pretty close to the MSP area.

So where'd you go today? I played around with landings in the taildragger. I'm up for most anything tomorrow. We can all go somewhere in the Baron if you want.

Just got home. I'll probably be ready for wheels up around noon. Lunch at 1-2 PM somewhere?

So where'd you go today? I played around with landings in the taildragger. I'm up for most anything tomorrow. We can all go somewhere in the Baron if you want.

We flew FCM-RGK-RST-TOB

On the way home it was perfect VFR but we hit some light precip none the less. OAT at our altitude was 24F. Precip was not even visible except I noticed it with the landing light on. Indicated airspeed started to drop and we were about 10 miles from KFBL. At this point I lit up the canopy with my cell phone and noticed some ice on it. The DA-20 doesn't have pitot heat since some idiot decided that since it is not IFR certified you'll never run into ice. I don't like ice and wanted to just be on the ground so we landed at FBL. There was probably like 1/8th of an inch on the leading edges stretching back about 6 inches and just enough to freeze over the pitot tube. A little bit of effort on the ground there and we were off again and had an uneventful flight back to FCM.

I will give you guys a call in a bit--- we would love to fly.

Last edited:
Hey, If you guys head south Iowa -way, let me know. I'd love to hook up for lunch.

Matt Michael
cell5154511068

Just got home. I'll probably be ready for wheels up around noon. Lunch at 1-2 PM somewhere?

How about Eau Claire? I want to meet up with Dan Michaels (70Romeo on the red board) today as well. He's a little ways north of EAU.

-lance

Everybody make it home OK? I guess Dan and his wife must have made it since he's already posting on the redboard.

We made it back to FCM about the time it started snowing there.

Everybody make it home OK? I guess Dan and his wife must have made it since he's already posting on the redboard.

Yep. The first half was easy... VFR without the GPS or the sectional. I followed highway 29 for the most part. "See that town there, with the Cenex sign just south of the highway? That's Cadott, and the Cenex has a Subway inside..." I drive that road WAY too much. :rofl:

Here's a pic Kate took of Rib Mountain near Wausau:

P1140004.jpg

We got back to CLI and I got a claim pic for the ConUS challenge... The flight home from CLI was a bit harrowing though. Night, snow, and the closest I've ever come to diverting for real.

The scene: Airmets for ice and IFR, reported ceilings 5,000 AGL at departure down to 2300 AGL at home, with snow in the forecast. Surface temps below freezing, PIREPS for ice in the clouds all day long.

After takeoff, it began snowing almost right away, with a couple of bursts in the pattern and becoming steady about 3000 MSL maybe 5 south of CLI. I went ahead and climbed to 4500, leaving my landing light on so I could see what I was getting hit with.

The snow created some very interesting effects in the landing light. Kind of like snow on a TV screen, only moving to the left at a very rapid rate. With the landing light on the left wing, there wasn't a problem with the mesmerizing straight-ahead view, but I did shine my flashlight out the front for a bit and it was very Star-Trekky. I also noticed later on in the flight when I was checking for ice that if I looked at the part of the wing where the landing light was, I could see the snow's interaction with the wing. It was making about a 1-inch boundary layer of snow bouncing back off the wing before sweeping back around it.

After completing the cruise checklist, I evaluated the situation. Figuring there was a good chance things could get worse, I decided to get prepared for a potential inadvertent IMC or icing encounter. I turned on the pitot heat and called Green Bay for flight following.

I also checked the airspeed indicator. 128KIAS. I decided that if I hit 125 and couldn't fix it or figure out why, it was time to get down. Green Bay got me a squawk for the rest of the trip home and a few minutes later handed me off to Chicago Center.

Chicago Center must have thought I was "fake IFR" or something. "Skylane 271G, maintain 4,500, report any changes in heading or altitude, maintain VFR, maintain proper altitude for direction of flight." Um, yeah. "Wilco, 271G."

I stayed at 4500 for a while. Waupaca was reporting ceilings around 1000 feet above my altitude. Visibility was mostly at around 8 miles, occasionally dropping to 5 or 6 for a few seconds.

Eventually, I decided to descend and see if that improved things any. "Chicago Center, Skylane 271G, leaving 4,500 descending 3,500." I think they still thought I was fake-IFR: First they said "Roger 71G, maintain altitude appropriate to direction of flight." Me: "Wilco, 271G will be below 3000 AGL." ZAU: "Oh, uh, roger." A minute later: "Skylane 271G, say flight conditions." Me: "Visibility variable 6 to 8 miles, light snow..."

At one point, I noticed I was down to about 126KIAS. I pulled the carb heat. My heart skipped a beat as the engine ingested a slug of ice and seemed like it was going to choke to death. :hairraise: But, it came back to life and I got my two knots back a few seconds later.

I eventually began seeing cloud-like stuff in my landing light, but I could still see ~4 miles through it... Must have been heavier snow pockets or something. I dropped to 3,000 just in case, and got serious about diverting. I flipped to the NRST page on the GPS, only to find that the nearest field, 94C, is nearly 20nm away. And it's grass, which at this time of year means probably snow-covered, and quite possibly has no shelter. Next-closest is private. Hmmm. I tune in the MSN ATIS, and they're reporting OVC022, which is around 3100 MSL. About this time, Chicago hands me off to Madison.

After checking in, I decide to air-file IFR. I hadn't had any icing problems despite the abundant snow, and I want to stay legal, assuming the ceilings really are that low at MSN. Of course, you know Murphy's Law. As soon as I had filed and received my clearance, the weather improved quite a bit. Vis 8-12 miles, and the snow dropped off quite a bit. Approach tells me to expect a visual to 3, or if that doesn't work an ILS to 36. I spotted the field several miles out, was cleared for a visual approach, and made a great landing on runway 3.

On my way home, I saw a jet flying up the localizer for 36 just south of the beltline. He was flying through a bunch of snow, and just as he passed over the beltline the snow almost completely disappeared. There was a hole in the wx over MSN tonight...

I had a most excellent day today. Good to see everyone again. :yes:

We made it back to FCM about the time it started snowing there.

The Viking is Fast. Although kinda cold. Lance thanks for the books I finished both of them, Very interesting reading for any turbo owner or wana be.

Dan

At one point, I noticed I was down to about 126KIAS. I pulled the carb heat. My heart skipped a beat as the engine ingested a slug of ice and seemed like it was going to choke to death. :hairraise: But, it came back to life and I got my two knots back a few seconds later.

I had that happen when I pulled the alternate air in the DA-20 when I ran into the icing. Did some more looking in the POH about the lack of a pitot heat. Turns out pitot heat is optional equipment.

Last edited:
Back