Memphis Belle

Looking forward to seeing it at Wright-Patterson someday. I remember first seeing it on a large pedestal in front of the Memphis National Guard Armory when I was a kid. They later moved it to Memphis International's Guard ramp where it sat for years before being semi-restored and placed on Mud Island under a fabric canopy less than a half mile from my office. It was in pretty bad shape again when removed and stored at Millington Regional Jetport (former NAS Memphis) before being moved to Dayton.

I'm glad it is being preserved. Just wish Memphis had taken proper care of her and put up a proper facility for her. At least now, she will last indefinitely with ongoing care.

With the size that the AFM has grown to, it's a multiday trip.

Last time I visited the museum, I flew into Greene County airport. I could see WPAFB as I was flying in, and I had the same thought.
I may just try it anyway. If anyone hassles me, I'll just tell them my tax dollars paid for the airstrip, so I am allowed to use it.

I'll just declare and land.

""Hmm. Nothing wrong with the engine now? Weird. Must have been carb ice. Hey, can I get a lift in your golf cart to the museum?"

""Hmm. Nothing wrong with the engine now? Weird. Must have been carb ice. Hey, can I get a lift in your golf cart to the museum?"

Yup, only way would be to declare an emergency. No emergency after you land? FAA Inspector will be having a chat with ya. :D

Looking forward to seeing it at Wright-Patterson someday. I remember first seeing it on a large pedestal in front of the Memphis National Guard Armory when I was a kid. They later moved it to Memphis International's Guard ramp where it sat for years before being semi-restored and placed on Mud Island under a fabric canopy less than a half mile from my office. It was in pretty bad shape again when removed and stored at Millington Regional Jetport (former NAS Memphis) before being moved to Dayton.

I'm glad it is being preserved. Just wish Memphis had taken proper care of her and put up a proper facility for her. At least now, she will last indefinitely with ongoing care.

I used to fly charters into MEM a lot, and I remember seeing it on the Guard ramp and hearing about it being moved to Mud Island. Was Elvis's plane kept at MEM also? Seems I recall seeing it once at MEM. Maybe all black, like a DC9 or similar?

Elvis had a Convair 880 dubbed the Lisa Marie and a Lockheed JetStar he kept at Memphis when he was alive. 880 is gray IIRC and JetStar is white. I don't know if they sat there until they were ultimately moved to directly across the street from his home, Graceland, in Memphis. I know they have been there a long time. I believe he had an earlier JetStar which was red and gold, but it is not part of the Graceland/EPE group.

Elvis had a Convair 880 dubbed the Lisa Marie and a Lockheed JetStar he kept at Memphis when he was alive. 880 is gray IIRC and JetStar is white. I don't know if they sat there until they were ultimately moved to directly across the street from his home, Graceland, in Memphis. I know they have been there a long time. I believe he had an earlier JetStar which was red and gold, but it is not part of the Graceland/EPE group.

Looked it up Jim, maybe it was the Convair I saw then as it was a transport category jet. Late 70s when I was flying a lot into MEM.

dd3c75f7462c2482efa3d076193f999c.jpg

Last edited:

When I was at WPAFB, IIRC, a guy who tried that had his aircraft impounded and had to have it trucked out after disassembly. That was when the 17th Bomb Wing was operational. With the Bomb Wing long gone, you might get away with a (substantial) fine.

I69 is a better choice. They have courtesy cars.

Cheers

Back