Memorizing Checklists and Emergency Procedures

calberto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Calberto
Does anyone have helpful study tips for memorizing emergency procedures, checklists, etc?

Hey welcome back!

(I hope we’ll be seeing the ‘Five Planes for Sale’ threads again!)

First, to make sure we are on the same page, there is no need to memorize anything other than he immediate action items on an emergency checklist ((bold on many modern manufacturer checklists).

For an aid in memorizing those, the best one I know of is to understand them. What are they? Why are they immediate? What do they accomplish.

I once had this discussion with another instructor; he is now a DPE. He was talking about a student who simply could not memorize the immediate action items in emergency checklist for an engine fire. Finally the instructor took the POH, turned it face down and said, "Look. Forget the book. Your engine is on fire. What do you want to do right away?" The answer came immediately, "Shut the fuel; shut the electricity; get down as fast as I can." Memorization was easy after that.

Yes, I definitely have critical action memory items that need to be memorized verbatim, down to the punctuation. So I definitely need to have those memorized.

I'd also like to at least get a general flow for all checklists that way I'm not relying solely on the checklist (ie cockpit checklist, engine start checklist, etc).

@midlifeflyer said it best

Only thing left to add is that the checklist I use has things in a “non-flow” order. It made more sense to me and easier to remember when I put the steps in order for my checklist (for example -from down to up to left - fuel switch, mixture, mags, master - specific to a given emergency condition, like fire, engine out, dead-stick landing, etc). I made flash cards for practice.

As I point out to my lawyer friends (who aren't pilots, and a couple who are - not you Mark) us software types don't memorize - that's what reference manuals are for. Or in this case, the POH.

I'd also like to at least get a general flow for all checklists that way I'm not relying solely on the checklist (ie cockpit checklist, engine start checklist, etc).

Just depends on the airplane and the layout of the cockpit. Outside of something like the engine start checklist, everything else can be done in a convenient way that makes sense for the cockpit layout.

“Brute force memorization”.

Yes, I definitely have critical action memory items that need to be memorized verbatim, down to the punctuation.
I wouldn’t go that far...the object of memory items isn’t to write them down, it’s to do them quickly and efficiently. I’d go with whatever set of words you can track most efficiently. If and when the emergency happens, we get stupid, and we need a set of procedures that we can accomplish with minimal input from your brain. Apparently in the Marine Corps they call it “stem power”...when you’re so overloaded that your brain ceases to function, so you’re operating on reflexes from the brain stem.

Being able to accomplish them that way helps calm your brain down so you can get back to work and deal with the decisions and other things that need to be accomplished.

As I point out to my lawyer friends (who aren't pilots, and a couple who are - not you Mark) us software types don't memorize - that's what reference manuals are for. Or in this case, the POH.

As you get into larger more complex aircraft, there are certain emergency procedures that have to be memorized. These are for failures that will not leave you time to pull out and accomplish a checklist right away.

“Brute force memorization”.

Yes, I definitely have critical action memory items that need to be memorized verbatim, down to the punctuation.
I wouldn’t go that far...the object of memory items isn’t to write them down, it’s to do them quickly and efficiently. I’d go with whatever set of words you can track most efficiently. If and when the emergency happens, we get stupid, and we need a set of procedures that we can accomplish with minimal input from your brain. Apparently in the Marine Corps they call it “stem power”...when you’re so overloaded that your brain ceases to function, so you’re operating on reflexes from the brain stem.

Being able to accomplish them that way helps calm your brain down so you can get back to work and deal with the decisions and other things that need to be accomplished.

All of the above, of course, assumes that phonetic punctuation isn’t your thing.

I believe @calberto is in Navy flight school, so the items that will be required to be memorized will be what they dictate.

I’m sure they like their acronyms. R-Rote U-Understanding A-Application C-Correlation. Rote works but If you’re going to be trying to memorize checklist it helps to understand the systems first. I remember trying to memorize the hydraulic system EPs on the UH-60 but it wasn’t until I went through the systems class was when the EP was easier to memorize. Also, I’m sure you all have cockpit procedures trainers? Much easier to learn the checklist if you’re physically touching switches, buttons etc. Go with a friend and do the call outs / challenge and response until you’ve got it down cold.

For systems, get flash cards, PPT or the phone app. I’m sure they’ve got plenty of choices in the Pensacola area (Wings). Some like using electronic means, I still like paper.

Right now it’s like drinking from a fire hose right but it’s really about prioritization on your part. You’re obviously going to learn quicker and retain longer when you put aside all distractions and tackle the task at hand. For the first 6 months in flight school I had no TV (smart phones didn’t exist) and didn’t hit the bars with the guys. The hard work will pay off come aircraft selection time...go helos. :)

Last edited:
Flash cards. Making your own is part of the process.

Nauga,
idleboardsbrakeshookhookhook

is this for the Navy or for your own personal plane or do u rent?

Flash cards work make your own know them cold. Also doing what they tell you to do when they tell you. I wanted to jump ahead in my 121 stuff with learning flows and enhanced procedures. Wasted a lot of time. Literally 1 day on a particular system and then it was like oohhhhh that really makes sense.

Thanks everyone. I'm not the brightest on the block, so I'll take any advice, and I did a lot of other research too.

This is for Naval flight training, so I have to have the critical action memory items memorized down to the punctuation. I could've been more clear about that.

I've pretty much got them down now. I have a couple punctuation errors, but nothing big.

For anyone else who has a lot of EP's or whatever to memorize, this is what helped me a lot:
  1. Understand systems and all the components of the checklist. What is the goal of the procedure? What components would satisfy the goal of the procedure? This forces a natural flow and understanding which has been crucial. Thanks @Velocity173 and @midlifeflyer -- this one was huge.
  2. I have a cockpit poster of the T-6B and I ran through and practiced each procedure while saying them in my head. This correlated a physical place to each procedure item and applied it in a practical way.
  3. I made flash cards on a program called Anki that gets me to practice procedures using a technique called "Spaced Repetition."
  4. Make up acronyms for each procedure with a vulgar phrase that's easy to memorize. (I used APEL with the following phrase to memorize the engine failure after T/O EP).
    • A -- AIRSPEED - 110 KNOTS (MINIMUM)
    • P**** - PCL - AS REQUIRED
    • Enhances - EMER LDG GR HANDLE - PULL (AS REQUIRED)
    • Fu***** - FLAPS - AS REQUIRED
  5. I drew out stupid pictures and images to help remember long drawn out EPs.
    • Attached is a picture of the checklist item for if an airstart is successful.
    • I drew a pickle (image for the PCL) with an AR-15 (As Required "AR) that is flying through the air with an afterburner (so I remember to use the word "After") that is screaming "another one" like DJ Khaled. It is reaching with a hand for the throttle to bring it back to IDLE and there is a tachometer to remember to say "RPM." At the end I drew a shake to remember the number 67 (I used this number memorization system which explains it) and then I think about DJ Khaled yelling "another one" again.
Understanding how everything works at a basic level; using mnemonics with really stupid visuals, immature acronyms or stories; application; and BRUTE FORCE MEMORIZATION and ROTE MEMORIZATION were the keys.

If anyone is curious about the number system, it works really well. I have all of my operating limits memorized after a couple hours of studying. I applied a lot of the same principles to memorizing those also.

Attachments

• 72683.jpg
    72683.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 17
Yes, I definitely have critical action memory items that need to be memorized verbatim, down to the punctuation. So I definitely need to have those memorized.

When I’m memorizing IAI’s I don’t just memorize the words. I memorize the actions. To the point that if you ask me IAI’s on something I’m flying my hands and eyes start moving around accomplishing the actions. No one cares if you can recite them... what matters is doing them.

Flash cards and a pretty girl to quiz you...need to impress improves memory...worked for me in flight school. making my own helped and understanding the systems is critical to understand the action taken in complex aircraft.

Military flight school begs to differ.
Some airlines agree as well.

It’s funny to watch someone sitting in a sim reciting memory items while the airplane is turning through 180 degrees of heading change after an engine failure. Doing the actions and flying the aircraft is more important than being capable of the associated verbal diarrhea.
I would assume that anyone participating in a formal training program that required verbatim recitation of IAI’s would be able to meet that standard on their checking event.

Last edited:
I was never big on limits / EP questions of students while they were still learning how to keep the dirty side down. Always found it fascinating though the response of different students when asked an underlined / BOLD FACE procedure while flying. Usually the flying standards go out the window because their brain is now diverting its attention to the task of memory recall.

Had one student who always replied to any question with “say again sir?” It was like a defense mechanism to allow him to gather his thoughts while I repeated the question. His excuse was that he couldn’t hear me. One day I told his “stick buddy” that I was going to ask a simple question with a loud, slow voice and I guarantee I’ll get the reply “say again sir?” Sure enough, that’s what he said and we all got a good chuckle out of it. I learned a lot about how the brain works under pressure just from being an IP and watching how students react to stress.

Emergency checklist:
1. Fly the plane
2. Find the printed checklist.

Make it easy on yourself. Make up, or buy a laminated emergency checklist. Don't just plan to pull out the POH and find the right section.

Emergency checklist:
1. Fly the plane
2. Find the printed checklist.

Make it easy on yourself. Make up, or buy a laminated emergency checklist. Don't just plan to pull out the POH and find the right section.

Depends on Navy rules though. I imagine they want him reciting certain EPs from memory, while he’s flying. I believe Navy calls them “bold face.” You react to the EP without any reference, then at the end, the IP will say something like “OK, back it up with the checklist.”

As far as checklist type / make. That’s another thing that’s dependent on Navy rules. They might not allow non DoD approved checklists in the aircraft. @calberto might only have access to a NATOPS flight manual and a checklist version of the flight manual.

Military has gotten more lenient on PEDs in the cockpit over the last 10 years or so but they’re still pretty anal about adherence to training standards.

Depends on Navy rules though. I imagine they want him reciting certain EPs from memory, while he’s flying. I believe Navy calls them “bold face.” You react to the EP without any reference, then at the end, the IP will say something like “OK, back it up with the checklist.”

As far as checklist type / make. That’s another thing that’s dependent on Navy rules. They might not allow non DoD approved checklists in the aircraft. @calberto might only have access to a NATOPS flight manual and a checklist version of the flight manual.

Military has gotten more lenient on PEDs in the cockpit over the last 10 years or so but they’re still pretty anal about adherence to training standards.
I wasn't aware there was a Naval connection here, and of course the Navy is going to have more rigid and practiced procedures. Nothing wrong with that at all. You can't be pulling out a checklist when you are engaging the enemy or trying to catch the hook.

In fact, my recommendation was a bare minimum. You should obviously know much more than my two bullets, and the more the better. But continuing to fly the plane while you are deciding what to do next is (IMHO) the most important thing that must be adhered to. Understanding, rather than rote memorization of your airplanes systems is #2 in my book.

That said, my wife and I regularly practice various emergency procedures without the checklist. She can (for instance) tell you the three ways to disable the AP off the top of her head, and the basics of most other Emergency procedures.

Yes! Fairly rigid structure and they supply me with a pocket checklist and a quadfold in addition to NATOPS.

Yes! Fairly rigid structure and they supply me with a pocket checklist and a quadfold in addition to NATOPS.

Does the T-6 have the checklist on the MFDs or you all paper only?

Friend of mine used to be an F-4 driver for a lot of years. He used to chuckle about EP’s at times. His favorite for the Rhino was this one:

Dual Engine Fire Warning: EJECT.......

Back