Medical Question

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I am currently flying under Basic Med, but considering getting Commercial and CFI (already have Instrument). This would require a Third Class Medical.

If I understand correctly, if I apply for a Third Class Medical and fail, my Basic Med is no longer valid. So I’d be grounded, possibly for good. I’m very healthy, but do manage some conditions very carefully - like T2 diabetes (completely controlled A1C 5.3).

Question: Are there AME’s who will do a “mock” 3rd class medical…that is tell me if I’m going to pass…before I go on record and make it official?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, all!

I am currently flying under Basic Med, but considering getting Commercial and CFI (already have Instrument). This would require a Third Class Medical.

If I understand correctly, if I apply for a Third Class Medical and fail, my Basic Med is no longer valid. So I’d be grounded, possibly for good. I’m very healthy, but do manage some conditions very carefully - like T2 diabetes (completely controlled A1C 5.3).

Question: Are there AME’s who will do a “mock” 3rd class medical…that is tell me if I’m going to pass…before I go on record and make it official?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, all!
Think ya need Class II for that. Yes there are AME’s who will do that.

You make appointment to see AME as a consult. Don’t officially fill out a med express form. They should be able to review and give you idea of favorable visit. I don’t think all AME will do consults though.

Ask for a consult from an AME and bring them a list of anything you're going to mark "not ordinary" on the exam. If T2 at A1C 5.3 is the worst you have, then you'll sail right through.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, all!
Mock Class I exam….aka a “consultation”

You can get your Commercial and CFI with basicmed and you can work as a CFI with basicmed. No third class medical necessary.
Who’d a thunk it. I sure didn’t. Now I got more questions. So a CFI can work with Basic Med. Are there limitations? Like primary training only? Can you accept money for other Commercial applications?

A CFI is being paid to teach. The flying is coincidental to the operation, therefore a second class is not required. In fact, a medical isn’t even necessary in certain situations.

Who’d a thunk it. I sure didn’t. Now I got more questions. So a CFI can work with Basic Med. Are there limitations? Like primary training only? Can you accept money for other Commercial applications?

Any instruction within the confines of being PIC (if req'd) and basic med limits. The CFI couldn't give instruction under Basic Med in a King Air if the student pilot is unable to act as PIC.

Other commercial operations require at least a Class II.** You can operate under Basic Med while exercising the privileges of a private pilot. You can't exercise the privileges of a commercial under Basic Med.

61.113 - Basic Med said:
(i) A private pilot may act as pilot in command of an aircraft without holding a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter provided the pilot holds a valid U.S. driver's license, meets the requirements of § 61.23(c)(3), and complies with this section and all of the following conditions and limitations:

(1) The aircraft is authorized to carry not more than 6 occupants, has a maximum takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds, and is operated with no more than five passengers on board; and

(2) The flight, including each portion of the flight, is not carried out -

(i) At an altitude that is more than 18,000 feet above mean sea level;

(ii) Outside the United States unless authorized by the country in which the flight is conducted; or

(iii) At an indicated airspeed exceeding 250 knots; and

(3) The pilot has available in his or her logbook -

(i) The completed medical examination checklist required under § 68.7 of this chapter; and

(ii) The certificate of course completion required under § 61.23(c)(3).

** - I'm sure someone will chime in with something about a balloon or airship. No one give a crap about those operations.

A really long time ago :D. The removal of the the requirement for a second class medical to take the commercial practical was part of the big 1997 Part 61 rewrite.

I got my PP-ASEL in 1995. I'm not going to accept that 1997 was a really long time ago.
:eek:

** - I'm sure someone will chime in with something about a balloon or airship. No one give a crap about those operations.

Did the NPRM for Second Class medicals for Commercial ballon pilots, which inlcuded the BasicMed for safety pilot fix ever go final?

Exactly my plan. Stay on Basic Med, eventually get commercial so can I can eventually get a CFI so I do something if I ever get to retirement.

Back