Medical Exam Fees (Small Town)

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
My AME just retired and there isn't another one in town. The closest one is an hour away in a medium (100K population) town. He is charging $170 for a third class without any complications (like an unusual waiver, etc.).

Is this about normal for the rest of y'all?

Jim

Hey, it's california.

My old AME charged $120 but he gave a 50% discount to pilots.
My current one is charging close to $100.

Sounds about right.

Payed $100 (well $200 since I needed an ekg for a 1st class) last year in northern VA.

My AME just retired and there isn't another one in town. The closest one is an hour away in a medium (100K population) town. He is charging $170 for a third class without any complications (like an unusual waiver, etc.).

Jim

It's almost twice what I pay for a second class with no complications.

90 for a 3d class here. No up charge when I need my SI (but it was a simple one). Market pricing rules....

Jim

Hi Jim,
I use Dr. Robert Taylor in Roseville. (Maybe an hour for you) I seem to remember it being in the $120 to $130 range.

$100 here in Camarillo and that included my DMV physical too.

My AME charges $75 regardless of class near PIT

125 for a first class in Chicago suburb

Jim

Sounds a little high, not too bad though, 100-120 seems the norm

More importantly I'd be looking for PIREPS about the guy before signing anything, even as a healthy young dude I had one experience with a bad AME, cost me a month or so of BS.

Some are good folks, some like to think they have some authority, if you ever see one wearing a white coat, laugh, then leave.

I charge $80.00 2nd and 3rd Class...no white coat...

Jim

There's a good one in Davis. $85 last time I got one. Come by and we can go out to lunch.

$90 in SoCal to an excellent AME, somewhat complicated 2nd class issuance (non-SI, but close). $170 isn't in line with the market, but if there aren't more options, that's what the market will bear without travelling.

Jim

Come down to SAC and use Dr.Rita Bermudez. I think she was 99$ the last time I got one (2 years ago).

Jim

Been $100 in the past. AME retired and the replacement he recommended did it for $80 this year.

Mary and I paid $120 apiece for ten minutes of "medical testing" and 20 minutes of hangar flying.

$170 seems even higher than normal.

I paid $80 here in Dallas a couple of months back; same rate he charged in 2002!

There's a good one in Davis. $85 last time I got one. Come by and we can go out to lunch.

Is the doc from Lincoln? My AME sees me at APC but he lives in Lincoln, commutes down in his 206, and charges $85 as well.

Back