Medical Certificate with PTSD

Tim Anderson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PlumberPilot
So after 4 months of review I have finally received the official letter from the FAA that my medical has been denied since I have been diagnosed with PTSD. Long story short, I was involved in a natural gas explosion involving a crematory at a funeral home. Due to pending litigation, I required a psyc evaluation and diagnosis to receive medical reimbursement of my Dr. bill's. I was diagnosed with PTSD and went to therapy for several months. Unfortunately I have never received anything from my treating physician stating that I no longer suffer from PTSD. Now that my file has been reviewed, they stated that since I have been diagnosed with PTSD it would be against federal law for them to approve my certificate. Any suggestions on appealing this decision. I have contacted my CFI and treating physician and they have agreed to write letters on by behalf. Does anyone have experience with appealing a denied medical due to PTSD?

I empathize with your current dilemma. However, amongst the masses that congregate on PoA, there are just a very very few who can provide the assistance you are seeking. The rest of us will just be unwashed and uneducated guessers.

The main one is Doctor Bruce Chien of Bolingbrook, IL (45 miles SW of KMDW). He is well known as the Senior AME to speak with and manage your case when you have a gordian knot to unravel.

You can find his contact information under the "how to start" at www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Was unable to send an email to the Dr on the website. Any other way to send or Any other email??

Was unable to send an email to the Dr on the website. Any other way to send or Any other email??
Bruce B. Chien
106 S Clow International Parkway Ste E
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

Phone: 309-689-5242

An alternative is Aviation Medicine Advisory Service in Centennial, CO. They were a huge help for me. Principals are Quay Snyder, MD and Keith Martin, MD.

https://www.aviationmedicine.com/

Last edited:
The reason I suggested AMAS as an alternative is that at the bottom of Dr. Chien's home page he notes that he is currently at capacity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back