Medical certificate confusion

jeffs chips

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bulgin
Hello. I'm guessing this is the best forum to post this question in.

Received my VFR private license single engine land in 1998 and flew for 4 years until it became too expensive to continue to rent. Now 21 years later I've got the bug again and want to go flying!

Between 1998 I've had two FAA certified medical doctors sign off on my license - the first in 1998 when I originally got my license and then again in 2014, although I didn't exercise the privileges of flying since 2002.

Where do I stand if I want to continue to fly, advance to IFR (afer getting the VFR rust out) and fly perhaps outside the country to Canada or Bahamas?

A quick look at medical conditions forbidding flight do not apply to me.

Thank you.

From a medical standpoint, you're fine. If you can hold a 3rd class medical, go right ahead and do that, or you'd qualify for BasicMed right now assuming everything you described is the 'full story' of your medical and pilot certification arc.

Additionally, you need to complete a Flight Review to get current. Unlike the Flight Review experience most current pilots have, yours won't be in anywhere near the "minimum time" prescribed by 14 CFR 61.56, but rather will be an ongoing process of unknown length. Could be 5 or 10 hours, could be 20, could be more -- everyone is different.

When you've satisfactorily knocked off all the rust you'll be signed off on the FR and legal to exercise the privileges of your Private Pilot certificate.

Good luck,

Thank you so much for that coherent explanation. One thing I noticed on the rules and regulations was something about not needing a medical exam if I only fly VFR, with no more than 1 passenger and within the U.S. What do they mean by no more than 1 passenger? Is the PIC considered a passenger (unlikely) and if I were to fly solo, does that mean I wouldn't need any kind of medical except the BasicMed? Are you suggesting I skip the BasicMed and get an actual exam with a qualified FAA medical doctor if I want to exercise normal PIC VFR flight but also outside the U.S.?

I thought BasicMed would not allow me to fly outside the U.S. So if indeed I do want to go to Canada or Bahamas, I need what? An FAA medical exam or am I good because of the 10 year look-back period and I've satisfied that.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

PS I see you are at TEB. That's where I got my license!

Thank you so much for that coherent explanation. One thing I noticed on the rules and regulations...

Rather than reply point by point (that's not quite accurate, what you stated), I suggest you read up on BasicMed here:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

Short snippet...

When can I fly under BasicMed?
If you meet the BasicMed requirements, you can operate under BasicMed (without an FAA medical certificate) right now!

What do I need to do to fly under BasicMed?
  1. Comply with the general BasicMed requirements (possess a U.S. driver's license, have held a medical after July 14, 2006).
  2. Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist
  3. Complete a BasicMed medical education course;
  4. Go fly!
Aircraft Requirements
  • Any aircraft authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants
  • Has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds
Operating Requirements
  • Carries not more than five passengers
  • Operates under VFR or IFR, within the United States, at less than 18,000 feet MSL, not exceeding 250 knots.
  • Flight not operated for compensation or hire
If you want to dispense with most of those restrictions, a 3rd-class medical certificate would do that for you.

Best regards,

Thank you so much for that coherent explanation. One thing I noticed on the rules and regulations was something about not needing a medical exam if I only fly VFR, with no more than 1 passenger and within the U.S.
The one-passenger limitation is part of sport pilot rules, not BasicMed.

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

What do they mean by no more than 1 passenger? Is the PIC considered a passenger (unlikely) and if I were to fly solo, does that mean I wouldn't need any kind of medical except the BasicMed?

They're referring to the number of persons other than the pilot. You don't even need BasicMed to exercise sport pilot privileges.

Just to add to the answers that have already been posted for Canada you need at minimum a Class III medical. The Bahamas, on the other hand, accept both pilots with BasicMed or pilots exercising Sport Pilot privileges.

Well that's very interesting. But is acceptance by the destination country the same thing as the FAA's regulations requiring something different?

When you fly to another country you have to abide by their rules as far as certification requirements for both the pilot and plane. In some instances, like the Bahamas, they accept pretty much everything FAA. Other countries, like Mexico, are more restrictive. Best to do some research like over at AOPA to get country specific requirements: https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel

Oh... and welcome back!

Back