May have a wife victory!!!!!

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I have an insanely busy weekend coming up. It includes a round trip car ride that would be at least 2 hours each way under best circumstances, and it is a route that gets traffic. She had a mid morning class she wants to take. She looks at me and says, "If we fly I can take my class and we can still be on time?" I nod.

Then she says, "are you 100% confident you can safely take me and the kids?" ( I am a new pilot).

I respond, "as safe as possible with GA."

I have always been honest about the risks. I do acknowledge morning would be better, but what can you do. It is only a 45 minute flight, and I would go to airport to have the plane loaded and pre-flight done so we could just go when she got there. The long range weather at this point looks good (or as good as long rang weather can). With that she is seriously considering it. YEAH!!!

If she decides to go,make sure you don't take ay Chanel's that could make her uncomfortable.

Time is NOW! tell her you are buying a cirrus.

Good on you!! Now, go forth and make her an advocate for GA.

Makes use you have a solid backup in case the weather craps out.

Also, make sure she knows you could be delayed on the return when it comes to weather.

We don't want to read about another VFR into IMC, because of get-there- itis.

Other than that, relax, enjoy, and have fun! :thumbsup:

My wife has been enjoying the speed of the Bo... But has little else positive to say about the experience.

Makes use you have a solid backup in case the weather craps out.

Also, make sure she knows you could be delayed on the return when it comes to weather.

We don't want to read about another VFR into IMC, because of get-there- itis.

Other than that, relax, enjoy, and have fun! :thumbsup:

If like 2 days out the weather looks at all questionable, it will be driving time. So yes I can still drive it, would not be the end of the world. Flying would just be fun and make the weekend a little easier from a time standpoint. It can be done without.

Last edited:
brian];1881953 said:
My wife has been enjoying the speed of the Bo... But has little else positive to say about the experience.

Meaning she dislikes it, or she is ambivalent?

Meaning she dislikes it, or she is ambivalent?

She allows me to have the airplane ... That's about it. She doesn't get it.

Seriously, I'm not alone in the reality that in general GA is a love or "whatever" endeavor. I think it is cool as can be- having built numerous balsa airplanes as a kid. But my wife just sees it as transportation.

Get over it guys, many of our wives put up with the airplane because we bring them flowers. And maybe we can help them see people or places they want to see.

Have a great flight, fly smooth and do your best not to focus on her over your checkilsts, scans, etc.

Enjoy it and be very happy when she says "wow we got here fast! I think we'll have to start doing this more often!"

YES! :yes::yes::yes:

brian];1882052 said:

Seriously, I'm not alone in the reality that in general GA is a love or "whatever" endeavor. I think it is cool as can be- having built numerous balsa airplanes as a kid. But my wife just sees it as transportation.

Get over it guys, many of our wives put up with the airplane because we bring them flowers. And maybe we can help them see people or places they want to see.

That's sucks.... Mine is on board for a Lance already. We are gonna fly the Archer till May-ish and step up. It's our mini-vacation mobile.... Spur of the moment weekend getaways are the common request. Now I just gotta haul more stuff and one more kid.

Damn it's good to have that option!:yes:

I hope it works out for you Drotto. Be safe.

Include her in the preflight inspection, they love feeling like you take it seriously. For real.

Explain the differences between a few thermal bumps, light turbulence & moderate. Tell her what to expect, bring toilet paper ;) you dont want to end up like Brian with an I and risk ****ting in your plane.

That's sucks.... Mine is on board for a Lance already. We are gonna fly the Archer till May-ish and step up. It's our mini-vacation mobile.... Spur of the moment weekend getaways are the common request. Now I just gotta haul more stuff and one more kid.

Damn it's good to have that option!:yes:

Congrats! Until she gets her own license, she is just making her man happy- and getting a little travel out of the deal.

My wife is an attorney and has years of spending serious time in the back of an airliner. Bumps, no big. Weather delays are explainable. The joy isn't there. The transportation needs are there. The Kendal is usually fully charged before the flight...

So I'm working n the IR ... But I still get my toy... That's GA...

Last edited:
One piece of advice:

If it looks questionable, even day of, scratch and explain why. She'll be much happier about flying if she's seen you reject a bad day for safety reasons vs pushing it.

brian];1882052 said:

Not in my house...:nono: The first question whenever there's talk about a trip is "Are we flying or driving?". That is if the conversation doesn't start with "Can we fly to... or We should fly to...".:yes: So far she's shown no interest in learning to fly but she is ready to go every chance she can... One side note, she wants to be going somewhere. None of the local stuff or pattern work... But, I'm okay with that...:yes:

OP, I agree with what's been said. The only thing I can add is after this trip make a couple trips to some place she wants to go... Surprise her with a lunch or dinner flight or fly her to see a distant family member or friend. The idea is to let her figure out it's a useful Tiime Machine...

Not in my house...:nono: The first question whenever there's talk about a trip is "Are we flying or driving?". That is if the conversation doesn't start with "Can we fly to... or We should fly to...".:yes: So far she's shown no interest in learning to fly but she is ready to go every chance she can... One side note, she wants to be going somewhere. None of the local stuff or pattern work... But, I'm okay with that...:yes:

OP, I agree with what's been said. The only thing I can add is after this trip make a couple trips to some place she wants to go... Surprise her with a lunch or dinner flight or fly her to see a distant family member or friend. The idea is to let her figure out it's a useful Tiime Machine...

For most of the summer I have wanted to go down to Ocean City Maryland. Easily a 3 plus hour drive for us, more like 3 1/2 with the almost unavoidable 1 pit-stop. Flight time is about 1 hr. Big time savings, but it just has not worked out. My daughter is also excited about the prospect of Cedar Point in Ohio. Again a 10 hr drive, that becomes a 2 1/2 flying.

I also want to go north and do some skiing in Vermont or even up to Sunday River in Maine. By car Upstate Vermont is at least 7 hours (last time took us 8), Rutland area is 5 1/2, and Maine destinations are 10 hours. Flight times in order would be 2 1/2, 2, and about 3. If she feels comfortable, she wants to do those trips. She sees the pluses, but does not have the comfort levels yet. So I know I need to carefully make them clear, but at the same time make her feel comfortable and safe. I am by nature a very cautious person, I know and am honest about the risks of GA. At the same time, I know things that can be done to minimize those risks.

I am also slowly getting trained in a bigger more comfortable plane (PA32), as we speak, that I have access too. I can not fly it solo yet, but once I am insured in that, and hopefully am able to get IFR certified, it will help more. Not a flashy plane, but a safe, passenger friendly ride, well suited to a family of four that wants to expand travel options.

I remain uncertain this little trip will happen, but was just so excited that she was considering doing it. I still fully expect to drive.

How old are your kids? My kids (12, 8, 3 at the time and 9 months old at the time) were starting to fuss and fight when we were on the south side of the bravo near Chicago, not the best time for the major distraction they were being. The 8 year old and 3 year old were the problem so A tip/trick some more experienced pilot taught me after our 4.1 hour flight from SD to MI: Use DRAMAMINE. Just a half tablet if needed on long flights. We tried this trick on the way home and after we were airborne it wasn't 10 minutes and the 3 year old was out, (slept the entire 2.5 hours to WI where we were grounded for 3 days because of weather). Our 8 year old fought it and was quiet but for the rest of the day she was groggy. I'll take groggy kids over yelling in the cabin any day and that along with the addition of O2 For the wife and I, made the trip home so much more pleasurable and relaxing vs the way there. BTW it'd take 14 to 16 hours to drive the same 4+ hour flight. My wife encourages me (maybe a little too much) to fly when we travel long distances. She either reads her kindle or goes to sleep. Either way she's on board and loves the freedom it allows.

Wife has NO interest in learning to fly, or actually flying somewhere vs driving except: 'How long to drive to Houston?' Me; 'plus 5 hours'. Her; 'How long if we fly?' Me; 'Maybe 90 minutes, plus getting from the airport to the house.' Her; 'Lets fly'. Her; 'How long to drive to the CO house?' Me; 'plus 12 hours.' Her; 'How long if we fly?' Me; '4 hours in the air, with one 30 min stop plus the car to the house, all together about 5 hours'. Her; 'let's fly'.

That is awesome Cowboy. Everything is a long way for us here, we drive an hour for groceries. Had a neighbors GF call me up a couple months ago and wanted to fly to town to get diapers vs drive. 25 minute flight vs 1+ hour drive one way.

I have the distinct advantage that the airport is less than 10 minutes away.

My wife looks at flying exactly the way Twin Flyer's does. Although she is not interested in learning to fly she is constantly asking me to fly her places! I'm a luck guy that way!

OP where in NJ are you based?

I fly out of Robbinsville (N87) the "family" plane (PA32) is at Belmar (KBLM).

I did a "dry" run this morning from N87 to Milville which is only about 10 minutes shy of Cape May in the local airports Archer. It went well, had been a bit since I did anything close to a XC solo so felt the need to brush up a bit.

My wife's first fight was to Tanger Island. 30 mins flying from PVG. I picked a great late Spring day. We toured the island and flew back. A week later she asked if we could fly to Dove DE for a race ( her sister had extra tickets). We did that, 2 hours round trip. Later was a quick unplanned trip to her mom's and she was hooked. So start slow... Like I said, make some short trips that are all about her and hopefully she'll get hooked...:yes: Keep us posted... Good Luck!!!

My wife's first fight was to Tanger Island. 30 mins flying from PVG. I picked a great late Spring day. We toured the island and flew back. A week later she asked if we could fly to Dove DE for a race ( her sister had extra tickets). We did that, 2 hours round trip. Later was a quick unplanned trip to her mom's and she was hooked. So start slow... Like I said, make some short trips that are all about her and hopefully she'll get hooked...:yes: Keep us posted... Good Luck!!!

Fun first flight! Tangier is still on my list of places to go one of these days

I fly out of Robbinsville (N87) the "family" plane (PA32) is at Belmar (KBLM).

I did a "dry" run this morning from N87 to Milville which is only about 10 minutes shy of Cape May in the local airports Archer. It went well, had been a bit since I did anything close to a XC solo so felt the need to brush up a bit.

Yup know it well. I'm just across the river from NJ. Good on you for brushing up.

My wife took some lessons but never finished. She has almost 1,000 hours in the back seat of the strike Eagle though so she's done the aviation thing. To her, it's as normal as us taking a road trip. (which we never do unless I'm deployed then she has to). It's not even a question of if we're taking the Bo, it's the standard. She loves having an airplane, doesn't necessarily love the flying (because lets face it, at cruise it can get boring after a couple thousand hours), but she loves what it does for our lifestyle.

TravelJohns. 45 mins or not, someone will have to go just as you're on the descent!

Fun first flight! Tangier is still on my list of places to go one of these days

I haven't made it over yet this year, but in years past things slow down (for them) after Labor Day... Still it's a nice half day trip... :yes:

***Warning*** people either love it or hate it after they go there...:dunno:

Crap. Looks like my weather is going the wrong way for the weekend.

Well weather stopped the trip. Had to drive. Looks like it was a good decision since a 150 crashed Saturday near where I would have been.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well weather stopped the trip. Had to drive. Looks like it was a good decision since a 150 crashed Saturday near where I would have been.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Smart man....biggest way to lose the wife victory is launch in less than ideal turbulent weather.:yes:

Back