Martha Lunken has privileges revoked

Just so I’m not misreading you...is revocation the equivalent of removing all freedoms, or revocation should also be accompanied by removing all freedoms?
I'm saying that the punishment - if it does fit the "crime" - is meaningless if the crime is really serious, and there is imminent danger to the public. If there is imminent danger to the public, they should make the case, then honest to goodness lock the person up and there should be a chance for a jury trial, etc... or else this is probably a bad "law."

I'm saying that the punishment - if it does fit the "crime" - is meaningless if the crime is really serious, and there is imminent danger to the public. If there is imminent danger to the public, they should make the case, then honest to goodness lock the person up and there should be a chance for a jury trial, etc... or else this is probably a bad "law."
Where is “imminent danger to the public” a part of this? And why is that a requirement for ANY action?

There's been a lot of severity 3 violations that haven't resulted in revocation. Hell, I've committed severity 3 violations WITH THE FAA's KNOWLEDGE and I didn't even get a phone call or a talking to. But yeah, I didn't read anything, because I just randomly know that 91.119 (or VFR in clouds, or a number of other volations) is Severity 3

Hey, here's a thought: STFU unless you actually know what someone has or hasn't done.

So risking prison time only affects those who actually care, if she knew she had terminal cancer, how's that really a threat? That threat wouldn't stop a suicidal individual, either. I'd argue that the punishment does nothing to stop real criminals and is excessive for those who would actually regard the law. If it took a year for this suspension, she could probably get away with it elsewhere for what, six months at least if she was careful? How much does that put the public at risk? Be honest.

Regarding your previous question, it's honestly irrelevant to my point. She has the knowledge, skills, and ability to hurt someone IF that's what this is really about. Lock her up, throw the rule out, or make the punishment more appropriate to the danger.
That’s an argument that can be applied to most laws and regulations. Not anything special about the FAA regs

There's been a lot of severity 3 violations that haven't resulted in revocation. Hell, I've committed severity 3 violations WITH THE FAA's KNOWLEDGE and I didn't even get a phone call or a talking to. But yeah, I didn't read anything.

Hey, here's a thought: STFU unless you actually know what someone has or hasn't done.

Wow. Didn't know you had all the documentation, and inside knowledge on what happened in Ms Lunken's case and enforcement. :rolleyes:

That’s an argument that can be applied to most laws and regulations. Not anything special about the FAA regs

I think that's his point though. Lot's of "for the children" laws out there where punishment is only a matter a of window dressing and public satiating.

Wow. Didn't know you had all the documentation, and inside knowledge on what happened in Ms Lunken's case and enforcement. :rolleyes:

I was referring to you claiming I hadn't read the order.

Lots of BS in the article...

It mentioned 1930 and says she remembers it... She wasn't alive yet.

ODOT "Drone camera" no, ODOT has traffic/weather cameras mounted all over I-71 and other highways.

And it basically makes her out to be a hero. But hey, she's a self described legend right there in the article.

I also loved how "propeller" was misspelled as "propellor."

So do you believe the article in the OP tells the whole story of what happened, from both sides?
No, because this part is implausible. She heard nothing between the letter of investigation and a box revoking her certificates?
A week later, she received a notice of investigation from the FAA, where she had worked for 28 years as a safety manager. Then, she didn’t hear anything for a year. Every time she opened the mail, she did so in fear.

She placed a crucifix in the mailbox.

The results of the investigation eventually came in a brown box she thought was from Amazon: She could no longer fly by herself.
However, saying she *should* go ahead and fly anyway, is different than saying that she *could*.

Where is “imminent danger to the public” a part of this? And why is that a requirement for ANY action?

I presume the standard being applied is "appearance of danger to the public", and I suspect the public has a dim view of airplanes flying at or near structures since about 20 years ago.

Not agreeing with it, but optics seems to be the prime motivator around me for stuff like this anymore.

So do you believe the article in the OP tells the whole story of what happened, from both sides?
So, it never ceases to annoy that we can't put this in front of a real jury... Betcha the FAA would win some, and lose some, too.

I presume the standard being applied is "appearance of danger to the public", and I suspect the public has a dim view of airplanes flying at or near structures since about 20 years ago.

Not agreeing with it, but optics seems to be the prime motivator around me for stuff like this anymore.
I’d be willing to bet there were revocations for “flying at or near structures” for a lot longer than 20 years. I’d say the biggest change in the last 20 years is the availability of proof.

Funny thing with these threads, everyone complains when the man enforces the rules against someone who breaks the rules. Yet when a person breaks the rules that directly affect the people complaining in the first place, they want that rule breaker to hang from the highest tree. :rolleyes:

Funny thing with these threads, everyone complains when the man enforces the rules against someone who breaks the rules. Yet when a person breaks the rules that directly affect the people complaining in the first place, they want that rule breaker to hang from the highest tree. :rolleyes:
No, I’m all about equality...use any tree.:cool:

If the crime deserves a hanging, then it should be pretty clear, and after due process hang them... if not, it's immoral to hang them.

Having seen how federal regulatory enforcement processes (again, regulatory/administrative, not legal/law enforcement) work on the inside, it's pretty clear to me that the standard being applied is she knew better, and therefore it's a willful violation. And given that, we must make an example out of her to send the message to others that violation of regulations will NOT be tolerated. I am guessing that a regular old pilot would have met some lower level of punishment, but not someone who should have known better and (even worse) once worked for/with the agency and will thus give the agency a black eye.

Remember that just a year or so ago there was a DPE/POI in Cincinnati that was discredited for improper exams. Given that, the timing of this incident could not have been worse.

Show me the process where this could be taken to a jury at the request of the defendant. Otherwise, you are blowing smoke.

https://lawexplores.com/enforcement-actions/
https://www.richardtmillerlaw.com/due-process-the-f-a-a-enforcement-action/
It's a regulatory action - it can end up in court, but not until all administrative procedures and appeals have been exhausted (including any ALJ and NTSB appeals as appropriate). Even if it ends up in court, the court usually defers to the judgement of the expert agency.

It's a regulatory action - it can end up in court, but not until all administrative procedures and appeals have been exhausted (including any ALJ and NTSB appeals as appropriate). Even if it ends up in court, the court usually defers to the judgement of the expert agency.
Still can't find a jury trial option, only an administrative law judge, for something that at the age of 79 is probably the only profession an individual can still easily find reasonable employment at since it's pretty late for a career change. She's killed 0 people, doesn't sound like she's actually crashed a plane, either.

If you have additionalknowledge, please share. Otherwise, the rest of us will comment based on what we do know.

The Portland floatplane base was right under the interstate bridge.....the south extension. One thing we learned, fortunately not the hard way, was that there are often cables strung below a bridge for some kind of maintenance.

But there were thousands of under bridge flights out of there.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime. I posted here before about a guy who was illegally flying passengers for hire and they only gave him a warning the first time! They caught him again, in the act, and took his license from him. They are so inept, that he ordered a new one telling them that he lost his and they sent him a new one! They had to come get that one too! They finally suspended his license... not revoked, but suspended him for a year. They know he jumped back into a plane the next day and they say they'll go after him with criminal charges this time, but they can't catch him. BTW, he was also busted flying under the Golden Gate Bridge many years ago and didn't have his license revoked. Suspend Martha for 180 days.

On another note, the FnAA (who has told me personally they want to be the kinder, gentler FnAA) was at an airshow I was at a few weeks ago. When I say airshow, it was a fly-in with one performer in a T6. Before the show, a guy came in and did a low pass down the runway in his Nanchang with smoke on, pulled up and came around to land. Three FnAA officials met him when he parked and went over his paperwork with him for the next hour or more. One of the FnAA guys had a gold badge on a chain and was especially good at keeping us all safe. I mean you know a pass down a runway could kill everyone there.

If you have additionalknowledge, please share. Otherwise, the rest of us will comment based on what we do know.

My contention is an article does not tell the whole story, and the way it was written is a bit suspect.

My contention is an article does not tell the whole story, and the way it was written is a bit suspect.
True of every article we see here. Some refrain from commenting without all the facts. But everyone who chooses to comment is doing so from limited information.

True of every article we see here. Some refrain from commenting without all the facts. But everyone who chooses to comment is doing so from limited information.

True. A few are jumping to conclusions. Again, take an article with a grain of salt, there is always a lot more to the story.

Stop mis-reading me. This kind of conflation is what makes me distrust the FAA. I'm saying that there's little the FAA could actually do to stop her if she WAS a danger to the public, which I find a disturbing conclusion. If the danger to the public was real, you'd need to actually lock her up, to keep her from going out and grabbing a plane and killing someone. If you don't need to lock her up, then this action is excessive.
This action relies on her actual good faith to not exercise her skill vs. her "privileges" and thus calls the bluff.
Interesting take on it. Gets me thinking.

Still can't find a jury trial option, only an administrative law judge, for something that at the age of 79 is probably the only profession an individual can still easily find reasonable employment at since it's pretty late for a career change. She's killed 0 people, doesn't sound like she's actually crashed a plane, either.
I dealt with a different fed agency. Same process but some different nuances (for example, the agency I dealt with didn't have appeals to the NTSB). IIRC, the FAA process starts with the administrative appeals, goes to an ALJ, then it can be appealed to the NTSB where an ALJ rules, which can be appealed to the full NTSB, and at that point can be appealed into the court system. It's been a long time so I don't remember whether the appeal goes in to the "regular" courts or into the court of appeals - if it's the court of appeals, I don't believe there's room for a jury trial. But again, it's been a long time and some of the appeals processes have changed (for example, appealing a TSA/DHS matter goes to the court of appeals, which presents an obstacle without a lower court ruling).

I don't believe a jury trial option exists - just a whole bunch of appeals and hurdles through the administrative process before even reaching the courts.

Back