Martha Lunken has privileges revoked

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by X3 Skier, Apr 19, 2021.

1. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    RyanShort1
    That’s literally a paraphrase of an ancient proverb... not something I just pulled out of my hat. Google it if you want the source.

“Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry; But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold...”

In the context it’s actually talking about something a lot more serious than a candy bar, too.

PeterNSteinmetz likes this.
  2. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
  3. Todd82

Todd82 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Todd
    With the proximity of the bridge to the CVG veils, I'm interested to see when exactly she turned off the transponder and turned it back on. Err.... Excuse me... "When it came loose"

For all the anti-government big brother ADSB conspiracy talk... Busting the veil with your transponder turned off was always illegal before ADSB too.

RyanShort1 likes this.
  4. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    As would I. But I'm not sure that will ever be released.

Assuming she only turned it off for the extent of her stupid move, it wouldn't have busted the veil at all. Busting the veil is not a concern - presumably it didn't happen (assuming she, as alleged, disabled the ADS-B only when conducting the under bridge flight). If it was in the violation letter, that hasn't come out yet. I'll also note that ATC and the FAA generally would only tag aircraft and try to identify them if they presented a real and present danger to other air traffic. In this case, we don't have enough facts to determine whether there were just a rules violation or whether a clear danger was presented.

I think the concern here is that A number of GA operators were concerned about use of ADS-B for surveillance and big brother stuff, and was led to believe that it wouldn't happen. While I am not a fan of minute surveillance and alerting of everything we do, I am also a realist that knows that if it can be done, it will be done. And it will be used for far more than the original intent. That's true at the Federal level, it's also true at the state and local level (facial recognition, for example). I believe there should be an open, honest, and public discussion about what will be done with the data collected and how it will be used.

I do not, however, support what Martha did and believe that she should have received some sort of sanction. Without knowing all the details, however, I'm not in a position to opine on whether the punishment fits the crime in her case.

denverpilot, RyanShort1 and Palmpilot like this.
  5. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    Not just under the veil; unless otherwise directed by ATC, it's illegal to turn off an operable transponder in ANY controlled airspace, i.e, class E and above, and some other specifically listed airspace as well.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...94aebb9b&mc=true&node=se14.2.91_1215&rgn=div8

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  6. EdFred

EdFred Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    ...each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with §91.413 shall operate the transponder,....

So just do it outside the 2 year certification, and you can legally turn it off. :D

7. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm