What did Curiosity discover?

• Cockroaches

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Dandelions

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Protomolecule

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Or maybe Dejah Thoris sunbathing in the nude?

It should find Sugar, Glucose Syrup (Sources include Wheat), Milk Solids, Vegetable Fat, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Barley Malt Extract, Cocoa Powder, Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Salt , Egg White, Natural Flavour (Vanilla Extract).

It should find Sugar, Glucose Syrup (Sources include Wheat), Milk Solids, Vegetable Fat, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Barley Malt Extract, Cocoa Powder, Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Salt , Egg White, Natural Flavour (Vanilla Extract).
That reminds me.... I wonder if @SixPapaCharlie has been brewing some new batches of beer

bqF1jf7.png

Every time I pull weeds, I console myself by thinking, "On Mars, weeds would be a MIRACLE!" :)

I suppose they've had the press conference by now.

Methane in the atmosphere, and organic molecules in ancient mudstones. Waiting for tomorrow's issue of Science for the details.

Methane in the atmosphere, and organic molecules in ancient mudstones. Waiting for tomorrow's issue of Science for the details.
Yeah, in parts per million. Quite the advance, but a long way from finding ancient life forms.

Yeah, in parts per million. Quite the advance, but a long way from finding ancient life forms.
What were you expecting? This is still interesting and the most progress that has been made in several decades. There have always been hints of methane in the Martian atmosphere, now it has been confirmed. The really interesting thing is the clear seasonal variations in abundance. Certainly, it is much likelier to turn out to be geological in origin (areological?) than biological. But the complex organics in the mudstone, something like kerogen, are even more tantalizing.

As the Science article stated, what they really need is a sample return mission... hopefully sometime next decade.

What were you expecting? This is still interesting and the most progress that has been made in several decades. There have always been hints of methane in the Martian atmosphere, now it has been confirmed. The really interesting thing is the clear seasonal variations in abundance. Certainly, it is much likelier to turn out to be geological in origin (areological?) than biological. But the complex organics in the mudstone, something like kerogen, are even more tantalizing.

As the Science article stated, what they really need is a sample return mission... hopefully sometime next decade.
Agreed, though the return mission is going to be the most technically challenging one NASA has undertaken methinks. It's just that there are very clear ways one can derive organic macromolecules in the absence of biological processes.

Back