Malaysian Airliner missing?

Nonsense, if the co-pilot hijacked the plane the passengers would be blissfully unaware that anything was wrong.
Could also have been the Captain....ala JetBlue 'this airplane isn't going to Vegas'. In that case it was the FO who stopped the flight. This copilot was pretty young/junior and may not have questioned the captain until it was too late.

Without much more info to narrow things down, almost ANYTHING is possible.

Could also have been the Captain....ala JetBlue 'this airplane isn't going to Vegas'. In that case it was the FO who stopped the flight. This copilot was pretty young/junior and may not have questioned the captain until it was too late.

I've read enough about the captain that I do not believe he was responsible. He loved the job.

Well allegedly the copilot had some hot ass in the cockpit with him a few times on other flights, and had a tendency to smoke in the cockpit.

It will not be found until the first class action suit is filed by first money grubbing shyster against Boeing, Malaysia, OneWorld, the NTSB, Disney world, China, Rueters, and assorted other uninvolved and uninformed and reveals it was abducted by aliens which should have been foreseen and preventive action taken. :rolleyes:

Cheers

I've read enough about the captain that I do not believe he was responsible. He loved the job.
I'm in no way saying this is what happened or trying to bad mouth him, but the JetBlue guy was well respected and had been a check airman with the company before he went bonkers. I don't think it was intentional. All I'm saying is that if some kind of mental issue such as what the JetBlue guy experienced, occured to this Captain, I don't know if the FO would have handled it as well.

And now back to more wild speculation......

Well allegedly the copilot had some hot ass in the cockpit with him a few times on other flights, and had a tendency to smoke in the cockpit.

Smoking in the cockpit is enormously prolific outside of the USA. That doesn't make him a terrorist.

Those motors, flying at 3000msl, would be sucking fuel like no tomorrow.. I don't think it could have made the African continent flying that low...:nono:

I was thinking they could have hit the deck accross Malaysia and get a few miles offshore and then climb once out of radar coverage and away from the area they are expecting you to be. Prob only have to be on the deck a couple hundred miles or so?

It will not be found until the first class action suit is filed by first money grubbing shyster against Boeing, Malaysia, OneWorld, the NTSB, Disney world, China, Rueters, and assorted other uninvolved and uninformed and reveals it was abducted by aliens which should have been foreseen and preventive action taken. :rolleyes:

Cheers

No, no class action suit, the airline has what's known and legally defined, Strict Liability. All suits go directly to them severally. Then the airline's insurance subrogates to the others if suitable.

I was thinking they could have hit the deck accross Malaysia and get a few miles offshore and then climb once out of radar coverage and away from the area they are expecting you to be. Prob only have to be on the deck a couple hundred miles or so?

That would make sense...

You guys are correct, but he is still a far more likely candidate to hijack the plane than the captain.

I ain't betting on the hijack, I may be wrong, but I'm still betting on the plane unzipping and maybe getting further than they expected and the plane is in the jungle somewhere. Who knows, if it is a hijack, Myanmar or Sri Lanka would be where I would go to stash a plane and get rid of 270 or whatever bodies. I'm just not feeling though, we'll see...:dunno:

Girls with the FO in the cockpit on an earlier flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9u9XK-EP8

I don't find this local news program from Australia to be objectionable, but youtube viewers mostly do give it thumbs down.

Mostly I find it to be disturbing, re. the conduct of some pilots while flying for this airline.

Girls with the FO in the cockpit on an earlier flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9u9XK-EP8

I don't find this local news program from Australia to be objectionable, but youtube viewers mostly do give it thumbs down.

Mostly I find it to be disturbing, re. the conduct of some pilots while flying for this airline.

I'd give her a poke.

The problem with that theory is that the hijacker(s) would have to know where the radar coverage ends AND hope that there were no warships anywhere in the area that might have paint on you and observe the descent/climb back up. Also, we know that they didn't 'hit the deck' across Malaysia. Depending on which article is correct, they either climbed 1000 meters or descended 1000 meters (still in the flight levels) and continued west.

Which leads to an interesting thought.

I'd like to know just how the Malaysian military radar track ends - does it end abruptly/sudden descent, or did they fly out of range of the shore radar? To my knowledge, that information hasn't been provided/released yet.

If we take one of the less sinister theories - gradual cabin depressurization and incapacitation. Let's say the crew started the turn back and then lost consciousness. Airplane flies on to the west and eventually flies out of range of the Malaysian military shore sites. That airplane could be several hours further west of the Strait of Malacca and could potentially never be found.....or perhaps years later a piece of it washes up on a beach in East Africa. We may never know what happened.

The problem with that theory is that the hijacker(s) would have to know where the radar coverage ends AND hope that there were no warships anywhere in the area that might have paint on you and observe the descent/climb back up. Also, we know that they didn't 'hit the deck' across Malaysia. Depending on which article is correct, they either climbed 1000 meters or descended 1000 meters (still in the flight levels) and continued west.

Which leads to an interesting thought.

I'd like to know just how the Malaysian military radar track ends - does it end abruptly/sudden descent, or did they fly out of range of the shore radar? To my knowledge, that information hasn't been provided/released yet.

If we take one of the less sinister theories - gradual cabin depressurization and incapacitation. Let's say the crew started the turn back and then lost consciousness. Airplane flies on to the west and eventually flies out of range of the Malaysian military shore sites. That airplane could be several hours further west of the Strait of Malacca and could potentially never be found.....or perhaps years later a piece of it washes up on a beach in East Africa. We may never know what happened.

but that still doesn't explain why the transponder was powered off.

Seems to me like someone went to an awful lot of trouble to disappear, and I do believe that there were indeed sinister intentions.

I did read that the airplane was equipped with ACARS and that the earlier reports about the plane being unequipped were not true. Would they have had to power that off as well?

If the antennas and leads are damaged, the plane goes silent to all coms.

I did read that the airplane was equipped with ACARS and that the earlier reports about the plane being unequipped were not true. Would they have had to power that off as well?
I believe the confusion is that there is the standard ACARS that does send automated maintenance messages and then there is an additional 'optional' Boeing feature that apparently sends constant/regular airplane 'health' information to the company back home. This 777 did not have the 'optional feature' installed.

Perhaps Greg or someone else can chime in, but if somone simply turned the xpdr off and turned the airplane around, I don't think ACARS would send any special message home.

If the antennas and leads are damaged, the plane goes silent to all coms.
I'm pretty sure the antennas are not all located together.

The depressurization theory that I have heard involves the SATCOM antenna which would have taken out ACARS ability to send anything home where they were at the time and they were out of VHF range with ATC at the time of the turnaround.

But I'm pretty sure the xdpr antenna would not have been affected by loss of the SATCOM antenna.

The depressurization theory that I have heard involves the SATCOM antenna which would have taken out ACARS ability to send anything home where they were at the time and they were out of VHF range with ATC at the time of the turnaround.

But I'm pretty sure the xdpr antenna would not have been affected by loss of the SATCOM antenna.

I believe I have heard that same theory, but the pilots should have been able to put on masks and safely land the airplane. Like you said, either the comms or the xpdr would have still been operational and either one would allow you to communicate your distress.

I believe I have heard that same theory, but the pilots should have been able to put on masks and safely land the airplane. Like you said, either the comms or the xpdr would have still been operational and either one would allow you to communicate your distress.
If the loss of pressure was gradual (think Payne Stewart or the Helios 737) the pilots may not have realized they were becoming incapacitated which would explain no distress call. But I agree that scenario doesn't explain the xdpr going silent.

Antennas in 777 are well spread out:

post-418035-1394552563.jpg

how likely could a flash fire be that killed the crew and damaged all of the electronics? Is that even possible?

Yep, the xpnder going off is the weird wrinkle.

It alone going dark could mean the antenna was sheered off at the point of strike or a crack that opened up from something like a metal fatigue hole (unlikely in a low-cycle / long-range aircraft only 11 years old). Regardless, assume there's a totally normal reason for losing the transponder. That still doesn't address losing VHF/HF/Sat comms with radar track showing the plane still flying 350 more miles (at least).

Remove the 350 miles extra flying and I could see the other lack of comms being explained by some sudden event, but with substantial continued flying, that doesn't seem likely.

If the intension is to "make a statement" with the plane, it seems like they would have crashed it somewhere populated -- like the land they crossed over per the military radar track.

If if was incapacitation due to lack of oxygen, I don't understand the altitude change. They were flying 35000 easterly then dropped to 32000 for a westerly heading. If it was incapacitation due to lack of oxygen/depressurisation, I'd think there'd either be no altitude change (ala Payne Stewart) or a massive altitude change -- not just 3000', to maintain a correct en-route westerly altitude for avoiding a mid-air should they cross paths with someone else at 1000+ knots of closure.

The simplest explanation is usual correct -- so I say it crashed in some remote jungle somewhere. But the possibility this plane landed somewhere clandestinely seems less impossible by the day...

how likely could a flash fire be that killed the crew and damaged all of the electronics? Is that even possible?
If that happened 270 people are going to turn on their phones, if the plane went over land could any of them connect from that altitude?

The simplest explanation is usual correct -- so I say it crashed in some remote jungle somewhere. But the possibility this plane landed somewhere clandestinely seems less impossible by the day...
The only thing I disagree with is the crashing on land part. The Malaysian military tracked it to at least the middle of the Strait of Malacca. I think it is far more likely to be in the water than the jungle.

The Malaysians are now saying that the plane never did turn back.
Doesn't this just beat all?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...r-force-chief-denies-strait-of-malacca-report

Malaysia's Air Force Chief Denies Strait of Malacca Report
Malaysia's air force chief is denying reports that the plane was last tracked over the Strait of Malacca, according to Reuters

http://www.trust.org/item/20140312005515-13xv7

So now we are apparently back to having ZERO clue. I think I am understanding now why other countries like China are accusing Malaysia of incompetence in handling the search/investigation.

That's it......too many passengers were trying to access the Obamacare website and it caused a complete sudden vaporization of the whole airplane.

Malaysia needs to clue in china or us with all of the info they've got and then hand over the reigns of the search.

Do we believe the rumor of a leak or the gov denial of the leak? Better question nevermind what they say where are they actually looking?

Back