"Make short approach, if able" and "Jump bake to base, if able".

916Bob

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
916Bob
My home airport is KADS in Addison, TX. It's a Class D that resides under the Dallas Ft. Worth Class B. Things can get busy at times which often means there's a possibility you might get special requests either from Approach or from Tower. I got videos of a couple of recent ones. Note: the camera data shows a GPS based altitude that is consistently about 150ft. below actual.

In the first, I was coming in from the North, pretty much straight into downwind for Rwy. 33. Tower kept me at approach altitude (2500ft.), until about mid-field. Right about when I got abeam the numbers, he asked me to "make short approach, if possible".

In the second, I was well into my final approach, having been cleared to land number two following a Diamond DA40, when Tower told me to go around. The DA40 had gone long (the instructor in the plane told me later that they had "had some bouncing" in their landing). No sooner than I had started my go around, Tower said to "jump back to base, if able". I turned the camera on as soon after he said that as I could while still flying the plane.

Enjoy the videos and thanks for watching.

Addison, TX.
I'm easily amused.
I always get a kick when someone talks about flying into/out of an airport that is used as an example on the written exams.

Nice videos. Thanks for sharing.

Nice.

I'm sure I heard most every Tower instruction. Although I understood, "jump back to base" is a new one for me

I don't understand it.

Either you were on base when the tower gave the "go around" - Don't you stay on base until you line up with the runway? So either you're already on base, or you're on upwind, which doesn't make sense to "jump back to base".

Or, you were on final when the "go around" came - So you continue flying upwind, in which case again, a "jump back to base" doesn't make any sense to me.

What am I missing?

I would interpret “jump back to base” as an instruction to not fly the full length of the upwind, but instead turn crosswind immediately even if you hadn’t yet reached the runway, so as to get back to the base leg as quickly as possible. I would only accept that instruction if I were sure there wasn’t other traffic that would conflict.

I would interpret “jump back to base” as an instruction to not fly the full length of the upwind, but instead turn crosswind immediately even if you hadn’t yet reached the runway, so as to get back to the base leg as quickly as possible. I would only accept that instruction if I were sure there wasn’t other traffic that would conflict.
That's how I understood it. Immediate crosswind and back to the base leg. The equivalents I have heard on a go-around are, "make early crosswind" and "make crosswind now."

As a non-standard instruction, I'd expect some local variation. If not clear about what is meant, ask.

That's how I understood it. Immediate crosswind and back to the base leg. The equivalents I have heard on a go-around are, "make early crosswind" and "make crosswind now."

As a non-standard instruction, I'd expect some local variation. If not clear about what is meant, ask.

Tower should have asked for a 360-degree overhead break, lol.

Non-standard phrasing is a great way to create confusion, incursions, and accidents.

This is how I interpreted it and how I flew it. KADS Tower has radar so I didn't expect him to send me into other traffic (although I alway keep a mental note of other traffic via listening to the radio and observation of the ADSB anyway).

But certainly not in the middle of a go around while the pilot is fiddling with his camera.

Geeze... I was not fiddling with my camera. I reached up and hit the on switch after I had safely turned crosswind. Lol amazing...

Thanks for the videos. While I've never flown into ADS I used to live next to it, and that airport was my sanctuary of sorts for three years.

I was back there on business last month, and was dismayed to find that $#@! RaceTrac station had moved from across the street and took over my old viewing spot in line with the approach end to 15.

Back